shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s considered good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
I have REALLY basic questions (well, for this forum at least:))

For fluorescence, what''s considered good? I always assumed that no fluorescence was the best... but then i read how if you have slight it makes the stone look nicer in natural light...

Also, what is girdle? and what is considered good for that?

ok, sorry for the dumb questions!

thanks!!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 2:20:21 PM
Author:umgoblue2003
I have REALLY basic questions (well, for this forum at least:))

For fluorescence, what''s considered good? I always assumed that no fluorescence was the best... but then i read how if you have slight it makes the stone look nicer in natural light...

Also, what is girdle? and what is considered good for that?

ok, sorry for the dumb questions!

thanks!!!

In some lower colors ( H-K) FAINT fluoresence can cause the diamond to appear less colorless face up.

In higher color stones, fluoresence can cause it to look hazy or oily. This is NOT a hard and fast rule though. It is a stone by stone call.

The girdle is the edge of a diamond. Avoid stones that have extremely or very thin or thick girdles. Also try to stay with girdles that are uniform such as medium or slightly thin/thick rather than slightly thin to very thick.

Unfortunately lab reports do not say where the thinness or thickness of a girdle is located, nor does it tell you how much of the girdle is thin or thick.

Rockdoc

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I was under the impression that some flourescence makes lower color stones face up better, not worse, than stones with no flourescence.
Is slight flourescence less desireable than say medium flourescence in H-K stones?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at some diamonds in the E-H range of color with flourescence. In general, I really didn''t see much difference at all when the flourenscence was faint to medium. However, the strong flour. diamonds were noticeable and a bit more hazy looking. So my advice would be to not worry about faint flourenscence...in fact it can be a little of a price saver, but skip strong flour. diamonds. As far as girdle goes...I prefer a diamond with a thin-med. girdle (but not too thin) with most diamonds because this will make the diamond look a bit bigger compared to a thicker girdle. However, princess cut diamonds are the exception. With their sharp corners, I''ve heard that they can chip with thin girdles so staying around medium is probably better.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what everyone else said! Great advice already given!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say that the girdle is the belly or waist of the diamond. It is the horizontal line between the lower and upper girdle facet below. It may also be faceted itself:

facets.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
girdles

girdles.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi...just want to tell you that I have an H stone with Strong Flour. My stone looks so amazingly white and clear. There is no haze just a lot of BLING!!! My sister has a D color VVS (3ct) RB stone and my H with Flour looks just as white. I got my stone from Whiteflash and it is amazing. I think the best thing you can do is go to a dealer and see for your own eyes what is looks like. You may like it or you may now.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results