shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you get if your diamond chipped or broke

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
and had to be replaced? Or if your ring was stolen? (God forbid) All thes diamond chipping/ breaking posts have got me thinking...

I don''t know what I''d do. I love my new setting, but it''s custom fit to my exact diamond measurements, so if it chipped I would have to either find a diamond with similar specs (not easy with fancy''s) or to keep the setting and set it with something else (would look fabulous with a colored center) that''s custom cut for it.

Then I''d probably get a larger diamond, depending on what I chose, in a three stone setting. Don''t know what shape. Most likely a cushion with half moon or trap sides.

If the whole thing got stolen or something happened where the set had to be replaced. Wow, that woudl really upset me. At least in the first senario I''d get to keep my pretty new setting. I''d probably go with the three stone. I''ve been REALLY drawn to those recently.

What about you?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would get my insurance check, add $$ to it and get a bigger stone!! and i'd most likely take that opp to change out my e-ring setting to get the ritani swoopy scoopy solitaire that i love (just saw it again yesterday, LOVE IT!!!).

i would def be sad that my beautiful stone was broken, because i do love it....but hopefully wouldn't dwell on it too much. i'd be too excited about the potential for something new!

if my set was stolen or something, i'd definitely be upset, esp if my w-ring was gone as well.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be bummed for sure, especially if my whole ring got stolen. If just the diamond chipped, I could keep my setting and put a blue or yellow sapphire in it, which I think would look great.

I''d get an old cut diamond for sure. Probably an OEC. I was superstitious about getting one for my engagement ring, but since this wouldn''t *technically* be the ring I got engaged with, I would have no problem with it!

I''d probably get the setting from Singlestone because I love ericak''s new ring sooo much! Or I''d think about getting Ocean, Maytal or possibly Leon to make a setting for me. Although I probably wouldn''t be able to afford a setting after I spent every cent of my insurance check on the diamond! That''s my new thing lately-everytime someone posts about putting together a ring, I''m like "Spend every cent on the diamond and get the cheapest setting possible! You can get a better setting later!"

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go up in colour and up in size. I don''t have a permanent setting yet, so I don''t know what I''d do about that.
41.gif
I would feel much differently if I had a stone that couldn''t be replaced, like a beautiful OEC or some other fancy, but I have a RB and feel that those are easy to replace.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I would sink the majority of the $$ into a new (read bigger) center stone and set it in a solitaire setting.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I did lose my ring last year. I worked with the insurance company, got the check, and was working with my jeweler to make a replacement ring. I was stressing out about picking a beautiful new diamond when I found PS.

Then I found the ring, returned the check, and decided to stick with PS. You guys are the best.

I have an 1.5 ct F VS2 60/60 style well-cut diamond. It is 2.8 on the HCA, with a lot of sparkle. I was looking at ideal cut to replace it. They are so beautiful, but I''m not 100% convinced that is what I would have gotten. Really glad that the decision was taken out of my hands, and I am reunited with my pretty.

Please don''t worry about losing your ring. I''m pretty sure that you won''t.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
If I chipped the diamond or it broke I would replace it with a similar size/cut/color/clarity. If I lost my ring or something catastrophic happened to it I would be sick! I finally have what I want and I''ve never seen a ring exactly like mine. I think the jeweler I got it from designed it and had it cast. He has since retired. Thankfully, because of PS, I have a ton of pictures of it so I could have it remade, but probably not for what we paid, and I doubt it would be *exactly* the same. I truly would be heart sick.

I would find out which was less money, and it depends on exactly what the insurance company issued to me. I would either get a larger diamond and have it set in a Vatche x-prong like Ellen''s with a plain band or get the same size diamond and have my ring remade and put a comparable diamond to what I have in it. If I needed to replace my band and had my ring remade, I''d try to find one without any milgrain or etching and have the finish match my e-ring, but the diamonds in it would be the same size I have now and probably still just be on the top part of the ring.

If the insurance issue was not enough to do either of those things (it''s supposed to be replacement and I don''t think I''d have any trouble, BUT) I would get the biggest round diamond I could that was comparable to the color/clarity/cut quality of my current diamond and have it set in a plain solitaire setting until I could save up for the setting I wanted, and then it might be something completely different.

I hope it never happens!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I loooooooove my setting. I mean love it. Like it makes my heart skip a beat. So, if the diamond chipped, I''d just replace it with one of the same size. But if the whole ring was stolen, I don''t know what I would do. I don''t know if I could conscience dropping 11K at Bulgari for the same ring with a .7 stone (he bought this one from Signed Pieces). I would have to think long and hard what to do.

One thing I''d surely do is cry!
39.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I have a very strong sentimental attachment to my ring, so if something happened to it, I wouldn''t try to recreate it but would do something entirely different. If I still had the setting, I''d put a colored stone, probably a ruby or blue sapphire, in it.

If the ring were lost or stolen, I would get something new that was a very different style. I might put a diamond in my mother''s antique ring and wear that. Or get a really beautiful eternity band. Or maybe a cushion or an E/W marquise.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well this actually happened to and that is how I found PS almost a year ago.
9.gif
I did cry
emcry.gif
because I never thought I would have to replace my ring.

Then I talked to hubby about a different setting. He was sure whatever you want. I thought about how pretty halos look; I went to B&M stores and tried on rings. There were rings I thought I would love but then tried them on and realized they looked awful on me (I have kind of short fingers not long).

So then I thought why not get the same ring that my hubby picked out (who knew I was sentimental)!!!! I asked him why not a little bigger diamond. He said sure you deserve it. I went up from a 1.25 to 1.5 and went down in color and clarity to a G VS2.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I adore my ring, the size, the setting, everything. But...if it chipped/broke, I might consider doing something completely different, like a 3-stone Emerald cut. I saw one recently that made me drool.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With this custom setting I could never find another stone that would fit eactly and have good specs so I would get this ring that I''m lusting after at my jeweler''s right now, but it''s too similar to my current ring to justify buying, and then I would take the rest of the $ and *probably* have a three stone ring made, either all rounds or round with pear or heart sides.

ETA: I can''t get the picture to upload. I''m at my office and it''s not my computer so I don''t know how to do it...
7.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is a .25 princess cut in an awful plain setting. Its not very well made and I don''t really love it. BUT I do love the diamond. Gary paid a lot more for the diamond than he had intended and it meant a lot to me. It showed how much it meant to him to buy me a nice diamond as he really didn''t have much money at the time.

I have since changed to wearing a different ring and am in the process of having the princess cut reset inito something I can wear every day. If something happened to the diamond now I would be really really upset. I don''t know what I would do..... probably cry a lot!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably get a stone similar to the one I have now, just slightly bigger and try and up the color one to an F and down the clarity one to an SI1. If both rings were lost, I''d switch my wedding set to platinum.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine centre stone is an antique cut stone. I thought I lost it last Valentine''s Day but found it...laying on the sidewalk with a slight chip in the girdle. The chip isn''t noticeable to the naked eye, I can barely feel it when I run my finger nail around the edge of the stone. We haven''t replaced it.

I love older cut stones so if mine was lost lost or badly chipped I''d likely try to find a another similar stone (transition, OEC, etc)...but bigger. My setting is nice, but replaceable. It''s the stone I''d miss.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno, downsize to a D/IF RB, or a natural yellow oval.

cheers--Sharon

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would be devastated - replacing a tsavorite in many ways in more difficult than a diamond. Less of them around, much more difficult to match for depth and tone of colour etc

I''d also have to make a new setting to fit. I wouldn''t be so worried about that - I get to put something pretty in the old one and design a new one!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My (upgrade) diamond IS chippped, haha! (don''t know if you all remember the debacle when I found out) It has a teeny tiny almost invisible chip right in between one of the double claw prongs, and odds are it happened during the setting process. Since it''s almost a negligible chip, I''ve decided to leave it as is.

But, if I were to chip off a big ole chunk, I''d take the insurance money and get either a cushion or EC in a delicate pave setting, or an antique (not repro) OMC.

I''d be sad, but not overly so. I LOVE my jewelry but strangely have not developed any sort of super emotional ties to them. (The exception is my original e-ring....which I will never change or part with.)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
If something happened to my diamond, I would just replace it at the same size (and be very, very, very upset).

But if something happened to my wedding set where the entire thing was lost... ''nother story. I''d try like the dickens to get an exact copy of my e-ring, but if it couldn''t happen, I''d simply upgrade the stone a tad, still go with an EC, and choose with a solitaire setting. I''d still keep my same w-band. I love my e-ring setting, and I''d be devasted if I lost it. There wouldn''t be an emotional replacement for it, that''s why I would go simple.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadly, this recently happened to me
8.gif
. I am incredibly clumsy and my ring had an accident with a door getting slammed on my hand on Halloween. My hand is fine, but my pave split shank is totally smooshed. I am very sad about it, but I''m feeling a little better since my insurance company has been great to work with so far (JM). I''m still waiting to hear what the estimate of how much $$ I get to replace/repair the setting and that will probably influence my decision. At this point I''m not sure what I will do, but I will probably replace rather than repair the setting since I don''t think it was made well in the first place. I''ll keep you guys posted....

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After many tears, I would sink all the money into the stone and put it in a plain solitaire setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results