shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do? Your thoughts please~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone.

I''m mostly a lurker...this is my first official topic. Anyway, my 30th b-day is approaching, and my husband is graciously letting me pick out a present for myself. Originally, I wanted an e-ring upgrade, but I think we''re going to wait on that one (look for that thread in a year or two...).

So instead of an e-ring upgrade, I''m thinking about earrings. Here are my throughts, let me know what you think...

Choice A: 1 cttw diamond studs in a 3-prong martini setting - likely from Whiteflash since we live in Houston

Choice B: My current e-ring is a 1.14 F VVS2 solitaire (Scott Kay tension-type setting). Unfortunately, in less than 5 years, the setting has become loose and the diamond "wiggles." As a result, I don''t wear it...for fear of losing my diamond somewhere. I haven''t reset it because I figure in a couple years, I''ll have my upgrade e-ring. So choice B is to buy a matching diamond and get some earrings (I love the Leon Mege leverback earrings on his website).

Yes, I know there is a price differential between A and B. Mostly, I just want everyday-wear earrings...ones that I don''t have to change, but can wear to sleep, etc. If I go with choice A, then I don''t want more than 1 cttw because I figure I will eventually get those LM leverbacks and therefore, I don''t want multiple pairs of 2+ cttw earrings.

So, I guess what I''m asking is which pair do you think would be more comfortable for everday earrings: choice A or B? Which would you choose if you were me? Thanks in advance for your help!
4.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How tension-like is your e-ring setting? Have you investigated what it would take to tighten it? If they were regular prongs you wouldn''t have to re-set your e-ring; any jeweler should be willing to tighten the prongs for, at most, a nominal fee. As a mock tension setting I''d still think that since it''s a structural issue with the ring the original jeweler should be able to help you. If you get that done you can wear your original ring and then also splurge for the earrings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am not you, but I''d put that very fine 1 ct. in a pendant when you get the e-ring upgrade. I do not think 1ct. earrings would be comfortable to sleep in. I have earrings that are .75 each (1.5 ctw), and I think that is a nice compromise size... not too small, but I don''t think one needs F VVS for earrings, personally.

LUCKY YOU to live near WF! I wish I lived near one of these great jewelers!

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Hest - to answer your question, here is a close-up of my e-ring (as you can see, no prongs and definitely not a semi-bezel...which is why I called it tension-like). We bought the stone from BlueNile (didn''t know about PS at the time) and the setting from a local B&M in Houston. About a year ago, I took my ring back to the B&M and asked them about the stone being loose and they were being a pain in the behind about it all, so I decided to forego getting it fixed and figure out an alternate use sometime in the future...

CIMG2194.JPG

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
At the very least, I''d change the setting on your ering. Even just a basic prong setting would be better than having to keep that baby in storage. And you should still have plenty of money for the earrings.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
ARGH, I meant to post in your thread about one or two bands in Show Me The Ring! Sorry, please ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results