shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is very neat! I am not a fan of snap tites (they look cheap IMO), but *that* is pretty cool! I might grab a couple of those and play with them with my cheap/reject stones, and try it with the mentioned stone.

Thanks for the link!!! Great idea!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do those wrap tite things work?

ETA never mind, I checked the website.
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, here's the description from firemountain:

"To assemble Wrap-Tites, place your stone upside-down on a flat surface. Gently push the setting over the stone until the girdle of the stone is securely positioned. Put a paper clip wire in the loop as you tighten it against the stone with needle-nose pliers. The paper clip prevents the loop from closing when pressure is applied."

Again, I would only use these for stones you don't really care about.

They also come with 2 loops so you can link more than one together.

Wrap Tite Oval Dbl Loop.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 6:02:44 PM
Author: RockHugger
look at ANY stone under 40x, and it will look like frankenstone....even the 10k ones. Here is a pic of it at 15x.

I don''t see how magnification will affect the colour of a stone. As for magnification making stones look like Frankenstones,refer to Koivula''s atlas. The internal landscape of a gem is fascinating.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 7:54:03 AM
Author: Maisie
I don''t understand why people are being a bit mean about this stone. If RH likes it then surely we should be helping her to find a way to set it? She didn''t ask if we like it.
33.gif

Maisie,
I think it has to do with RockHugger''s description of the stone as a "perfect glowing blue Paraiba." People are pointing out that the description is not apt. Pricescope is, afterall, a consumer education site, with the exception of certain forums. I suspect there would have been far fewer, possibly no, criticisms had RockHugger not been considering spending more money on the stone.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2010 3:34:09 PM
Author: Harriet

I don't understand why people are being a bit mean about this stone. If RH likes it then surely we should be helping her to find a way to set it? She didn't ask if we like it.
33.gif

Maisie,
I think it has to do with RockHugger's description of the stone as a 'perfect glowing blue Paraiba.' People are pointing out that the description is not apt. Pricescope is, afterall, a consumer education site, with the exception of certain forums. I suspect there would have been far fewer, possibly no, criticisms had RockHugger not been considering spending more money on the stone.
actually, with the scope I use, the closer the mag, the more the color is washed out. The scope uses LED lights that surround the stone, and washes out the color the closer I get to the stone. Thats why the 40x is lighter then the 15x pic (see 3d pic posted). RL or 5-10x is even more vivid then the 15x.

The stone is a perfect glowy color, regardless of chips inclusions or windows. Glowy is hard to tell in pics but its there in RL. Thats why I dont want to just toss it away, because the color IRL is awesome.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 3:34:09 PM
Author: Harriet

I don''t understand why people are being a bit mean about this stone. If RH likes it then surely we should be helping her to find a way to set it? She didn''t ask if we like it.
33.gif

Maisie,

I think it has to do with RockHugger''s description of the stone as a ''perfect glowing blue Paraiba.'' People are pointing out that the description is not apt. Pricescope is, afterall, a consumer education site, with the exception of certain forums. I suspect there would have been far fewer, possibly no, criticisms had RockHugger not been considering spending more money on the stone.

Thanks for explaining Harriet. I think there are ways of saying things though and the comparison to fish tank gravel seemed a bit unkind to me.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
here is 1 more picture with the color I am talking about......now tell me this color isnt beautiful....

Taken w/o any magnification with my normal camera.

paraibatourmbroken1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie,
I agree.

RockHugger,
That''s the best picture by far.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 3:59:44 PM
Author: RockHugger
here is 1 more picture with the color I am talking about......now tell me this color isnt beautiful....

Taken w/o any magnification with my normal camera.
This picture is much nicer than the rest. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I''m glad you love the stone RockHugger. I think there have been some great suggestions on how you can set it inexpensively.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the thought of bezeling the stone to cover the chip and possibly protect the edges is tempting, I''m not sure if I would risk it due to the natural inclusions of the tourmaline. If you are prepared to accept the possibility of damage, a bezel will certain do the job.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RH,
That is a much nicer picture. It would actually look great in a bezel, but I too am afraid it would harm the stone even more, especially due to the chip. Maybe email someone like Julia Kay Taylor about a potential bezel, and ask her professional opinion if she could bezel it without additional harm to the stone. ??????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results