shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do re: laptop repair

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
The hinges holding my laptop monitor gave up and won''t hold the monitor up anymore.

Of course my warranty expired six months ago.

I have a few choices:

1. Get this laptop fixed. Cost is approximately $299 plus shipping to and from HP. It could increase if the laptop needs more than a "basic hinge replacement."

2. Replace the laptop with a new one. If I look around a bit I can find a new laptop for around $400 plus tax.

3. Attempt to buy a used one on ebay and switch out the parts. From what I''ve seen this will cost about $200 plus shipping. And no guarantee that it will work.

I really really hate to be wasteful and ditch this laptop when it works perfectly with the exception of one one tiny detail of not being able to use it without propping up the monitor. The one part I need is not available on the market on its own. I figured I''d keep it for a few more years before I thought about replacing it. In the meantime, my SO has one of the above mentioned new $400 laptops so at least I am not computer-less.

14.gif
32.gif
7.gif

Can''t believe the stupid thing is doing this to me.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Erica: if it was my computer I would be thinking of getting a new one with warranty.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Technology has changed sooooo much in just a few years that it is well worth spending the extra $100 and getting the new laptop. Totally not worth repairing an old one for basically the price of a new one.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Option 4: ask around to see if a friend/co-worker knows of a computer geek who moonlights as a repairman, get a number and hire him?

When I''ve had a similar PITA issue (fan replacement), I called my contact, who asked for some model numbers to find parts, ordered the parts off of ebay for $14, and came over one evening to swap it out-- in under an hour. In the end it was both more convenient and economical. Good luck!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I guess you could use a stick to prop it up.......just joking
9.gif

It would be hard for me to give up on a computer because of the hinges. I've done that thing where I've bought replacement parts on eBay and had someone put it on. In that case I replaced my broken cdrom. HP was going to charge hundreds of dollars and the replacement on eBay was 40 dollars and a friend put it in for free. I think you should fix the computer considering it's not an electrical issue especially since the hinges on eBay might be really cheap. Get out your screwdriver
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 1:22:43 AM
Author: neatfreak
Technology has changed sooooo much in just a few years that it is well worth spending the extra $100 and getting the new laptop. Totally not worth repairing an old one for basically the price of a new one.

Ditto. Unless you find a way to fix it for cheap...as in $20 cheap, not $200 cheap, I would get a new one. There''s really no choice. Maybe you can donate the old one to a charity if they''d still want it, even with the hinges broken.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would buy a new one.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Between my bf and I we can fix almost anything with computers, but unfortunately you can''t just buy these hinges.
29.gif
I already tried to purchase the part from HP and from ebay without any luck. I can buy a used version of this laptop on eBay for about $200 and then shove the guts from mine into that one, but after spending some time on google I found that the hinge thing is a known issue and there are tons of the same laptop with the same broken hinges. Even if I dropped the $200 on a used one I have no way of knowing if those hinges are broken or will break shortly.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 9:47:40 AM
Author: EricaR
Between my bf and I we can fix almost anything with computers, but unfortunately you can''t just buy these hinges.
29.gif
I already tried to purchase the part from HP and from ebay without any luck. I can buy a used version of this laptop on eBay for about $200 and then shove the guts from mine into that one, but after spending some time on google I found that the hinge thing is a known issue and there are tons of the same laptop with the same broken hinges. Even if I dropped the $200 on a used one I have no way of knowing if those hinges are broken or will break shortly.
Because (and only because) you Googled and there are hinge issues galore, I''d get a new one. I am a certified geek and have Frankensteined more laptops than I can remember, but what''s the point of getting an Ebay one and taking ''em all apart and putting ''em all back together when the ''new'' LCD hinges could be just weeks from breaking too.

Anyway what were you doing with an HP laptop in the first place? They''re a printer manufacturer. *ducks*
9.gif

ANYWAY it might be worth it to watch and see if you can get a used one even cheaper on Ebay, buy it, and replace your parts. Just to have a backup laptop or what have you.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 12:12:58 PM
Author: Julianna

Anyway what were you doing with an HP laptop in the first place? They''re a printer manufacturer. *ducks*
9.gif
25.gif

It was a really really good deal! I think I only paid $500 for it in the first place, but only because Circuit City had a price mistake in their ad and I took the ad to Best Buy and they matched it.

I am fairly certain I can get a decent laptop in the $400 range, I just need to keep my eyes open. I wish this had happened a few weeks ago because Best Buy was running deals for $350 laptops. I am not a power user on my laptop (that is what my Mac and my other desktop are for), but I do use it every day for internet/email/photoshop type things.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 1:46:21 PM
Author: EricaR

25.gif

It was a really really good deal! I think I only paid $500 for it in the first place, but only because Circuit City had a price mistake in their ad and I took the ad to Best Buy and they matched it.

I am fairly certain I can get a decent laptop in the $400 range, I just need to keep my eyes open. I wish this had happened a few weeks ago because Best Buy was running deals for $350 laptops. I am not a power user on my laptop (that is what my Mac and my other desktop are for), but I do use it every day for internet/email/photoshop type things.
That IS a great deal. I''ve bought used laptops for more than that.
1.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Because of the cost repair v''s buying a new one, I agree. Go shopping....

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
If you do decide to get a new laptop, PLEASE make sure to dispose of the old one properly...so many people would just throw it in the dumpster, but it is e-waste and needs to be taken to a recycling facility...all kinds of nasty stuff in there that can leech out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results