shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do if???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
What would you do if you found out your venue lowerd their site fee by thousands of dollars for the same month, the same year you already booked? I have been recomending our venue to some of our friends and one of them called today. The price was significantly cheaper. There is also another poster looking at our venue and I''m hoping that she will confirm for me. Is there anything I can do in this situation?

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I would totally say something and say you know TWO couples who were quoted at a lower price. Can''t hurt to try and see if you can get some money back - worse thing they can say is no.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
That is what I''m planning to do. My fiance is going to call. I am so upset right now... I mean, my friend that called today was quoted 4.5k less.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
YES I would definitely call and say that you know people are getting quoted lower prices! Though just to be sure, make sure your friends or whoever got quoted that price are getting exactly the same things that you are getting. Good luck and let us know what happens!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Believe me...my friend that called is looking for the same time frame and the same number for people. I don''t know about the other poster here so I will have to find that out. Ugh, has anyone ever had this happen before? I know I shouldn''t be taking this so hard but really, I hate feeling like I''m being cheated.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I hate that feeling too and I can relate. I am very sorry this is happening. How long ago did you book? I honestly have never hear of prices being lowered, that is why we are told to book early, to lock in the cheap prices!!

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 5:46:10 PM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
I would totally say something and say you know TWO couples who were quoted at a lower price. Can't hurt to try and see if you can get some money back - worse thing they can say is no.

Good idea.

First, make sure that something isn't happening on those couples' wedding dates that will render the venue different from it is when you use it. For instance, let's say your wedding is held on the last weekend before the commencement of a major construction or renovation project. You may have exactly the venue you toured, but maybe those couples are getting a torn-up venue which is under construction.

If you're certain that there are no extenuating circumstances, then reaffirm your intention to honor your contract, but explain that you'd appreciate it greatly if they'd be so kind as to decide to apply the lower pricing to your event as well, especially in light of the fact that two couples booked the venue based on your recommendation.

A signed contract is generally considered a done deal, so remember to employ your best diplomacy and tact and go into it knowing that you may have to accept the fact that perhaps the other couples drove a hard bargain, or haggled really hard to grind the venue down and get that price. It may come down the fact of you asking yourself how comfortable you would be haggling, and grinding and driving a really hard bargain. Some people are very comfortable doing that, and they don't ever take "no" for an answer, no matter what they do to get what they want. You'll have to honestly assess whether you have that type of personality or if it's not in your nature.

No matter how it turns out, though you'll definitely have given it your best shot without compromising the quality of your event, which should leave you feeling more satisfied than you do right now.

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can come through for you!!

mjso

Shiny_Rock
How long ago did you book? A lot of places in the area where I am getting married offer "last minute" deals for dates they haven''t booked in 2009 yet. I guess since so many people are booking so far in advance now, they feel like they need to offer an incentive to book within the year.

If you booked a while ago, part of the "premium" you are paying is the reservation of the place for that time. There may have been quite a few other couples that wanted your date that they ended up turning away. Meanwhile, if someone is booking now for a date in 2009 there might not be that many dates to choose from, so they get a "discount" in order for the site to book up as many days as possible.

A friend of mine just got engaged and she was offered $20 off per head if she booked in 2009. That would be somewhere around $2k for a 100 person wedding.

Although, 4.5k seems like a big difference.

I''d say call and give it a shot, it will definitely make you feel better.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I''ll try and answer both threads in this post. I''ve never heard of a venue doing this either. We booked at the beginning of August. I''m wondering if it is an economy thing? What ever the case may be we are affected by the economy as well.

Med...You just typed everything that my fiance is saying. We need to let them know that we plan to honor the contract. I''m not sure that either of the couples that I talked to have booked or will book but the point is that at least one of them was on my reccomendation. I''m not sure that they care about that or not. The thing is when we booked they were very hard about not barganing their prices. I tried, I''m in sales, that is what I do. They wouldn''t budge. So...now to find out they are quoting people lower off the bat just leaves me with a bad taste. I want to enjoy my wedding not think I got screwed out of over 4+k.

I''m really emotional right now and its a good thing my fiance is going to make the call.

Thanks for the support girls.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The economy is hurting. There will be a lot of price lowering if business isn''t where it was a year ago. From what I hear everyone is cutting back and the lavish expenditures that people were willing to make are being reevaluated. Ask them to lower their price for today''s market.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t hurt to ask, of course.

But keep this in mind... if you would have been ticked if they RAISED prices on you when you had a locked contract with deposit... don''t be surprised if they don''t lower your rate for the same reason.

ALSO, mjso is right. You are paying for them holding the date for you as well.

DEFINITELY call and ask, but nicely. You catch more flies... and all that.
2.gif

Date: 1/10/2009 6:14:20 PM
Author: mjso
How long ago did you book? A lot of places in the area where I am getting married offer ''last minute'' deals for dates they haven''t booked in 2009 yet. I guess since so many people are booking so far in advance now, they feel like they need to offer an incentive to book within the year.

If you booked a while ago, part of the ''premium'' you are paying is the reservation of the place for that time. There may have been quite a few other couples that wanted your date that they ended up turning away. Meanwhile, if someone is booking now for a date in 2009 there might not be that many dates to choose from, so they get a ''discount'' in order for the site to book up as many days as possible.

A friend of mine just got engaged and she was offered $20 off per head if she booked in 2009. That would be somewhere around $2k for a 100 person wedding.

Although, 4.5k seems like a big difference.

I''d say call and give it a shot, it will definitely make you feel better.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy, I was hoping you would respond. The thing is I can check and see what dates are booked and nothing around our date is booked. All of October and two other dates in Sept. are open. When we looked at the place the guy that runs it commented on us being really early. I know that we have no rights here but it just upsets me that we could have waited. Then again, who would have know that this economy would take a real turn for the worst. Thanks for the advice!!!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 6:33:12 PM
Author: swingirl
The economy is hurting. There will be a lot of price lowering if business isn''t where it was a year ago. From what I hear everyone is cutting back and the lavish expenditures that people were willing to make are being reevaluated. Ask them to lower their price for today''s market.

ditto, my thoughts exactly. be prepared that if that is the reason that they may not refund your money though.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 7:29:53 PM
Author: Smurfysmiles

Date: 1/10/2009 6:33:12 PM
Author: swingirl

ditto, my thoughts exactly. be prepared that if that is the reason that they may not refund your money though.
yeah...I''m prepared. Just upset cause it is so much. Can''t determine if I would feel better if it was less 2k. But the 4.5k is just insane. We will see. My fiance is going to do the nice talking.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely call them-that would really upset me too, especially due to the fact that you were referring people to them. Sending hugs-I hope that they will reduce the price for you.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I really hope they do something. We will call tomorrow and I''ll let you know how it turns out. Oh, and if anyone has ever delt with this I''d like to know how you addressed it with the venue and what the result was.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, EM! Maybe you could at least negotiate what they are willing to offer you if the price stands (an hour of open bar, extra menu option, etc.). I see no problem with asking so long as you are calm and kind about it. And, also don''t let it get you too upset if they say no. Here''s some *dust* for hoping it goes in your favor!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch, sorry about that! I hope you''re able to get them to knock down the price. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results