shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do - Hotel Block

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I just found out last night that there is an Indy car race the same day in the mid-sized town that our wedding is in. As a result, no hotel in town will give me a room block, because they are contracted with "race groups." There are some rooms individual rooms at hotels in the area at inflated rates, but I from what the hotel group booking people are telling me, they are all expecting to be sold out for that night. We''ve already sent out Save the Dates without any hotel information on them (didn''t think it would be a big deal). We have at least 20 possibly more families to be invited from OOT.

Some thoughts I had:

Send out a note to potential out of town guests saying that due to the race, they should be aware that hotels are booking up fast

Set up a room block in a neighboring town (if they will give me one) This town will be about 15 miles away from our reception location.

I am freaking out here! Help!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Can you do both?

If the town over will do hotel blocks at no risk to you, you can at least offer an alternative for your guests. I''m sure some will do hotel-searching on their own, but I don''t see how it could hurt. My issue is not necessarily similar, but I did have to worry about room blocks for a lot of OOT guests. The hotel we wanted would block 10 rooms for us risk-free (meaning that if we don''t book them, they are released a month before the wedding at no cost to us). However, if we wanted more than 10 rooms, we had to guarantee that we''d fill 80% of them, or else we will pay for the rooms that aren''t rented ourselves. We found a second hotel that gave us 10 rooms risk free, so now we have 20 rooms at two different hotels (one being a little further than the other).

I''d say if they require your credit card to guarantee all the rooms are paid for, I''d have to think twice, because I know not everyone would use the rooms I blocked. However, if there is no risk to you, I don''t see how it could hurt.

It may be more driving to have a hotel 15 miles away, but what would be worse: knowing you have a 15 mile drive but being able to make a reservation or wanting to come and not being able to find anything nearby? If the race is a big deal, some people by default will probably be staying that far away just to get a room.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I would do both and send out information to the OOT people ASAP about the issue so they can either book a room far away and rent a car or book an expensive room in town. I''m sure they will be very grateful for a heads up.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would do both if you can. What a rotten coincidence!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do both. I'd get the word out ASAP that although you've blocked rooms at XYZ hotel(s), you'd recommend that guests books as soon as possible if they choose to stay elsewhere (and then I'd provide them with a list of hotels in that area).

ETA: I'd find out when/if you do a room block (and maybe find other places for guests to stay if they wish) if there's a minumun night's stay needed. When we got married in July in a beach resort town, we had a 2 night minimum. Some hotels in the area had a 3 night minimum. That would be info that guets would want to know ahead of time so they can plan accordingly.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Please do both as soon as you can.

Not to freak you out even more but I would really reserve as many rooms as possible in the neighboring town. Most people might prefer the cheaper rates, if any. I find that word spreads out and neighboring towns start inflating prices when hotels located at actual site of the event are sold out.

Case on point, I like to go to Salem, MA for halloween and heck once Salem hotels are booked, hotel rates in neighboring areas skyrocket...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d book up both as well. Let people know asap.

MissManna

Rough_Rock
I am in the same situation. Our reception is at a lodge, but the lodge is right across from a major tourist attraction. The lodge will not let me do room blocks, since it is their peak season.

Ours is in a very small town, but there are some other hotel options available. I am going to include a note on the "Accomodations" card in the invite that they must make their reservations way in advance if they would like to stay at the lodge. (There are no taxis in my small town, so it is the best choice if people will be drinking at the reception).

I think I am also going to work the hotel and see if my guests can get a discounted rate if they book in advance and mention our wedding.

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Working at a hotel, I know how frustrating this can be for a bride. We had a bride schedule her wedding on the day of a space shuttle launch, which means no where within a 20 mile radius had rooms.
40.gif

I would do both. Let them know that rooms IN TOWN are booking quickly, but that you also have arranged a room block in a neighboring town (as long as the hotel doesn''t require a deposit or something from you) as an alternative for them. 15 miles is really not that bad of a drive.

Best of luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d do both. Also, our hotel offered a free shuttle for our guests to the reception site (6 miles). I''d see if any hotels in your area would throw that in and book with them. If nothing else, just one shuttle at the end of the night for anyone not in the condition to drive. I know for us, the shuttle was great and helped a ton for the OOT guests.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results