shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose? Opinions please ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaRocque

Rough_Rock
Having recently done some diamond shopping in NYC and after lurking on this forum, I have a question ...

Which would you choose:

A .93 ct. G/VS2 (GIA certified) solasfera diamond which has incredible sparkle and brilliance

OR

A 1.2+ ct. I or J VS2 ACA H&A diamond (AGS certified) verbally confirmed by WF to be eye clean and brilliant?

I was able to see the solasfera diamond in-person in New York City, and I must say it was the most lively and beautiful diamond I''ve ever seen. ALSO, the .93 ct solasfera seems to look larger than .93 ct and is probably visually comparable to a 1 ct diamond, although it''s obviously much smaller than a 1.2 ct. diamond.

Prices for both stones are comparable (according to the Whiteflash and Good Old Gold websites). I''ve not seen the 1.2+ ct stones in-person, although I did look at other well-cut 1.2+ carat round brilliant diamonds in-person while shopping around in NYC.

My SO can best be described as classic and traditional. I''m partial to the solasfera because it sparkles like nothing I''ve ever seen and it''s different and special, but I''d like some opinions as to whether you feel most girls would prefer the slightly larger diamond ...

Thanks!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Normally I would suggest getting the larger stone, but it sounds like you are really taken with the appearance of the Solasfera. The difference in size, while noticable, is not really all that significant. I would go with the diamond that you feel is special and represents the way you feel about her.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
go with your heart.
Which makes your heart sing?

LaRocque

Rough_Rock
Great way to put it Strmrdr, since the solasfera really did make my heart sing! Thanks for the input and advice. I really appreciate it!

Janis

Rough_Rock
Well, I''d just like to say that you can also order the WF ACA diamond to look at to see if it makes your heart sing! Those are also super ideal cuts and very beautiful! I''d want the 1.2 carat for sure if the stone was beautiful!!! I think you may be paying a little premium for the name Solasfera, too, from what I have been reading.

Janis

LaRocque

Rough_Rock
WOW - - great suggestions and some more food for thought. Thanks so much!

Will Whiteflash or GOG actually send a diamond on approval to me or to an appraiser on approval? From what I''ve seen on the websites, it seems like I have to pay first and then invoke the return policy if necessary (which is OK - - I just want to make sure I understand).

ALSO, does it matter that my GF''s preferred setting is made for a 1 ct stone?

Thanks again for all of the input - - it''s much appreciated!

Janis

Rough_Rock
I totally agree with Gonzo on looking at the expert selection stones as well (because I am, too!). As far as the setting goes, you need to ask about that specific setting to be certain, but most heads fit a size range, not just an exact size. And, most settings can be ordered with various size heads depending on the size of the diamond. But the 1 ct. size probably would fit the 1.2 ct. diamond, in many cases.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Order the 1.2 carat stone and look at it...it will probably be just as beautiful. Most girls would want the bigger stone (even if they don''t admit it). If the prices are comparable (which isn''t the case usually in this much of a size difference) I say go for #2...that is, if it sings to you!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Incisor

Rough_Rock
Consider this, The I-J color will lokk great from the top, but yellowish (to me anyway) from the side. Is the setting going to be yellow or white metal? Will it cover the diamond sides (bezel or many prongs? If it''s yellow and if the diamond sides are covered, GO BIG!!! I know how you feel about the Solasfera, I bought on for the e-ring of my SO. I also purchased Expert selection diamond from WF, and they look as good. Just more traditional. You can also see the patterns better in the regular cut.
Hope this helps.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Another (female) perspective: My husband and I recently selected a diamond and setting together as a 20th anniversary present. Initially we started at the local B&Ms just to get some ideas, but after finding PriceScope we knew we''d find a much better selection and better quality/value from a reputable on-line vendor. We considered branded and unbranded ACA diamonds and expert selection diamonds from the WhiteFlash website, and also H&A diamonds from the Good Old Gold website.

All of the diamonds we considered were beautiful, but my husband recognized I''d been waiting for this a long time, and he wanted my diamond to be perfect, unique and special - - not necessarily the largest diamond we could reasonably afford.

While browsing the GOG website, we found Jonathan''s detailed information and tutorial on the solasfera diamond - - after viewing the near-perfect GemScope and LightScope analyses on each and every solasfera, and after obtaining additional info from the solasfera website (www.solasfera.com), for us there was no turning back.

Jonathan was kind enough to send side-by-side comparison photos via email of the solasfera we selected and other top-performing round brilliants from his inventory. It was easy to see that the solasfera - though smaller than some of the comparison diamonds - would literally wink at you from across a crowded room. It''s not that other diamonds won''t also twinkle and sparkle - - there was something about the solasfera diamond that just spoke to us ...

My husband wanted me to have the most lively, perfect and brilliant diamond, and I didn''t want or need for it to be more than a carat. For us, choosing a .93 ct F/VS2 solasfera over a larger ACA or H&A or other round brilliant diamond was the right decision.

Like Strmrdr posted above, even though my ring is not yet completed, the solasfera diamond is symbolic of our relationship and it does literally make my heart sing ... perhaps it will be the right decision for you too!

In any event, good luck with your decision and let us know how it all turns-out!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hey Dominic - -

I just wanted to say ''Hi'' and to ask how the proposal/engagement, etc. went ... I was thinking of you on December 22nd in Seattle ...

I''m not sure if this is the right thread, but hope it was all more special than you (or she) could ever imagine!

As you can tell from my post above I''m still waiting for my ring to be complete - but nonetheless very excited!

In any event, Happy New Year!

Den aka BrownEyes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results