shape
carat
color
clarity

What would happen if...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Obama was picked off before the election. I know a horrible thought, as I am voting for Obama. But the other night, I thought, OMG what if?? Would Hillary take his place, or would Joe and who would be the VP candidate. Please don''t flame me for asking this. I know it''s a terrible thought, but in todays world terrible things happen.

And for the McCain supporters, you can flip it. If McCain got picked off, what would happen.

If I get flamed for this, I am leaving Pricescope. It''s an honest question from someone who cares, a lot.....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 10:23:46 PM
Author:Kaleigh
Obama was picked off before the election. I know a horrible thought, as I am voting for Obama. But the other night, I thought, OMG what if?? Would Hillary take his place, or would Joe and who would be the VP candidate. Please don't flame me for asking this. I know it's a terrible thought, but in todays world terrible things happen.

And for the McCain supporters, you can flip it. If McCain got picked off, what would happen.

If I get flamed for this, I am leaving Pricescope. It's an honest question from someone who cares, a lot.....
Lisa, God forbid either of those scenarios happen, no flaming here, sweetheart. I have no clue; there is probably something written somewhere. Hopefully someone knows. Or has a link.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you get flamed for it, I''ll leave as well Kaleigh.

I don''t know what would happen. But with the way the election is going and all of the insanity it''s been attracting, it is a distinct possibility for both sides. However ghastly that may be, it''s certainly something that needs to be considered.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
What will happen? A lot of rioting, mourning, as well as embarrassment on an international level. We would look so hypocritical.

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Kaleigh, I can''t imagine who would want to flame you for asking. I don''t post here much but I do read avidly and it seems to me you''ve never been anything but inclusive and concerned.

I''m don''t think there is a precedence for this-any political history junkies out there? I imagine the chairperson of the party would consult with other democratic party leaders and come to some sort of consensus.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to say this but it only takes one disenfranchised anti whatever person to do something terrible. Hopefully he is at no more risk than anyone else would be, but I cannot speak to the reasonableness of all people in our country. There are people who hold beliefs I am afraid to know about. God grant that no one be harmed in trying to help our country.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
It would be tragic and humiliating, either way.

However, I do take comfort in secret service and other security measures, which have improved. Not saying it isn''t possible, but I think it would be a lot harder at this point. And I wouldn''t be surprised if candidates wore bullet proof vests during big rallies, although I have no idea.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just think we have seen a few wackos on both sides of things, and some people do scare me I have to say. I want our country to heal and be healthy financially, and be more well viewed globally. If Obama can do it and not take all my money, great! But not all people are open to things.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh: You're certainly not the only person to wonder about this. I understand Obama was provided Secret Service protection much earlier in the primaries than is normal, because of the possibility that someone would try to assassinate him because he is a viable candidate of color. I believe this came out when they busted a few yahoos who were supposedly considering going to his acceptance speech with a few rifles. Remember that? Publicly at least law enforcement dismissed it as that... a few yahoos that probably wouldn't get past the drunk boasting stage, but I suspect that his protection level was upped a notch or two nonetheless.

My mother, who believes Fox carries news
2.gif
, called me late one night last week to ask who I would go stay with if rioting broke out. This was when the Ayers allegations were flying fast and furious, so I didn't need ESP to figure out what she was really asking: if riots break out because Obama is assasinated, do you (single daughter who lives alone, on the cusp between the upper and lower class neighborhoods) have an escape plan?

I'm guessing, but think we play by the parties' rules up until the election, so if something happens to either Obama or McCain before the election, I believe it would be up the appropriate party to determine who would replace that individual on the ballot. After the election, the Constitution determines what happens -- the winning party's VP candidat (who is at that point the VP-elect) would move into the President-elect position and eventually be sworn in as President. What I don't know is whether we are considered to be in the election now, since some states have opened their polls for early voting.

I hope you'll excuse me if some aspect of my response was not PC. It was unintentional. Although I don't discount the possibility that some maniac might have it in for McCain, I think it's safe to assume that there are more maniacs out there who might have it in for Obama.

With McCain, the question is will he make it to election night without a major health crisis!

2.gif
JUST KIDDING!
2.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I agree that there sure are some crazies out there. I do hope that our secret service is well prepared for these sort of things.
According to wiki, there have been 17 assassination attempts, and "only" four have succeeded, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and JFK (side note, but when I was young I told my mom that I would never want to be president because they all get shot!).

The last President to be injured in an attempted assassination was Reagan, but since then assassination attempts have failed. Bush Sr, Clinton (2 attempts), George W (2 attempts). That is the "glass half full" way of looking at it.

On the other hand, 10 out of the last 12 presidents have been target for assassination (all but Eisenhower and Johnson). So, chances are, no matter who the next president is they may very well be target. That is the "glass half empty" way of looking at it.
32.gif

ETA: I disagree with VRbeauty, judging by these stats. I think every president is fair game.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also believe it is up to the party...but I''m not sure of the process...let''s hope we never have reason to find out!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, I don''t think you said anything "flamable" at all. This is a very good question, and it''s a shame we have to worry about this, but the reality is that we do.
15.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I never thought about this. To be honest, I never realized how many people think that it is likely if (when? fingers crossed!) he is elected. It really saddens and sickens me to think about. I know that I would feel an incredible disappointment. I really wish we didn''t have to consider such things, but Kaleigh you are right and it is a valid question.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
§ 192.004. ELECTOR CANDIDATE VACANCY. (a) An elector
candidate may withdraw from the presidential election before
presidential election day, by delivering written notice of the
withdrawal to:
(1) the secretary of state; and
(2) the state chair of the party that nominated the
elector candidate or to the independent or write-in candidate for
president who named the elector candidate.
(b) If an elector candidate withdraws, dies, or is declared
ineligible before presidential election day, a replacement elector
candidate may be named by the party that nominated the elector
candidate or by the independent or write-in candidate for president
who named the elector candidate.
(c) An independent or write-in candidate for president
naming a replacement elector candidate must file with the secretary
of state, before presidential election day, the name and residence
address of the replacement candidate and a written statement,
signed by the replacement candidate, that the person consents to be
a candidate.
(d) If a political party''s rules do not provide the manner
of choosing a replacement elector candidate, the party''s state
executive committee may choose the replacement candidate. The
state chair of a political party naming a replacement elector
candidate must file with the secretary of state, before
presidential election day, the name and residence address of the
replacement candidate.

source

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, you aren''t the only one who has thought of this I am sure. DH and I have discussed this, as well as our friends. it is really a frightening thought... and yes, we all are voting for Obama.

Linda

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oshinbreeze: I think you had the right source, but the wrong section. "Elector" probably refers to someone appointed to the electoral college. I think that tracing the link you provided a little further addresses the question of the death of a presidential candidate this late in the campaign. I'm still not sure what "in the usual manner" would mean in this case, but I'm assuming it means the VP-elect :

§ 145.005. EFFECT OF VOTES CAST FOR DECEASED OR
INELIGIBLE CANDIDATE. (a) If the name of a deceased or ineligible
candidate appears on the ballot under this chapter, the votes cast
for the candidate shall be counted and entered on the official
election returns in the same manner as for the other candidates.
(b) If the deceased or ineligible candidate receives the
vote required for election, the resulting vacancy shall be filled
in the regular manner.
(c) If the deceased or ineligible candidate and another
candidate tie for the most votes in an election in which a plurality
vote is sufficient for election, the other candidate is considered
to be elected. If more than one other candidate is tied with the
deceased or ineligible candidate, the winner of the election shall
be determined by resolving the tie between the other candidates in
the regular manner for resolving a tie vote in the election.
(d) In a race in which a runoff is required, if the deceased
or ineligible candidate received the vote that would entitle the
candidate to a place on the runoff election ballot or tied for that
number of votes, the candidates in the runoff shall be determined in
the regular manner but without regard to the votes received by the
deceased or ineligible candidate.

Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 211, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1986. Amended by
Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 864, § 99, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

§ 145.096. DECEASED OR INELIGIBLE CANDIDATE'S NAME TO
APPEAR ON BALLOT. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a
candidate's name shall be placed on the ballot if the candidate:
(1) dies on or after the second day before the deadline
for filing the candidate's application for a place on the ballot;
(2) is declared ineligible after 5 p.m. of the second
day before the beginning of early voting by personal appearance, in
an election subject to Section 145.092(a);
(3) is declared ineligible after 5 p.m. of the 53rd day
before election day, in an election subject to Section 145.092(b);
or
(4) is declared ineligible after 5 p.m. of the 67th day
before election day, in an election subject to Section 145.092(f).
(b) If a candidate in a runoff election dies or is declared
ineligible before runoff election day, the candidate's name shall
be placed on the runoff election ballot.

Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 211, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1986. Amended by
Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 472, § 42, eff. Sept. 1, 1987; Acts
1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 203, § 2.61; Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 554,
§ 32, eff. Sept. 1, 1991; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 925, § 7,
eff. Nov. 1, 2003.

Amended by:
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1109, § 14, eff. September 1,

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of international press would mock about the right to bear arms and how it is effecting society.

I''m not sure what would happen in who would be elected. I would hope that there would be period of grieving and the election delayed for a couple of weeks or months. The silver linning would be that the currently very drawn out run up the election wouldn''t be able to drag on any further for the new canidates.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I think that Hillary would become the Dem nominee and Joe would be the VP. And I think she would win the Presidency, and during her term, she would be endlessly investigated for her possible role in Obama''s assasination.

But DH says that constitutionally, that Obama would still be on the ballot, and that if Obama were to win, that Joe Biden would
become President. And that the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, would become the interim Vice President until the next election. She would only be the VP, she would give up her House duties.

On the home front, I think anything is possible, and they are going to have to be very carefull for the rest of his life. Not just the Presidency. Of course there would be mourning. And this country would be in the worst shape probably since the Civil War. With the housing crisis, the credit market tanking, joblessness, stock market mess, and then the first black nominee for President gets killed????? Wow, what else could happen. OH yeah, a nuclear crisis in the Middle East.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 6:23:49 PM
Author: Addy
A lot of international press would mock about the right to bear arms and how it is effecting society.

I''m not sure what would happen in who would be elected. I would hope that there would be period of grieving and the election delayed for a couple of weeks or months. The silver linning would be that the currently very drawn out run up the election wouldn''t be able to drag on any further for the new canidates.
But, even if we banned the sale of all guns in this country, a highly motivated person could still, get a gun. The right to bear arms is a constitutional right in this country. And no, I don''t own a gun, and I never plan too.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I have learned a lot.
2.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s actually really interesting to read the rules about what would happen, Kaleigh. This was a very informative thread! I''m always interested to learn what people have though through.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
That would be truly awful, but I believe that I heard that Obama (and his family) have the most intense secret service security detail of any presidentail candidate, ever, because there are a bunch of crazies out there that can''t stand the idea of a black person becoming president. I''ve thought about this myself - not as much beforehand, but what if something awful life that happened after the election ... I do take comfort in the fact, however, that his security is supposedly being taken VERY seriously.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 12:18:15 PM
Author: starsapphire

But, even if we banned the sale of all guns in this country, a highly motivated person could still, get a gun. The right to bear arms is a constitutional right in this country. And no, I don''t own a gun, and I never plan too.
Exactly, and that''s why so many protest banning them. Then all the bad guys would have them, and the good guys wouldn''t. It wouldn''t accomplish it''s intent.

And I was thinking last night about how stressful a secret service job must be. I can''t imagine literally having someone''s life in my hands.
40.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2008 9:16:56 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 10/24/2008 12:18:15 PM

Author: starsapphire

Exactly, and that''s why so many protest banning them. Then all the bad guys would have them, and the good guys wouldn''t. It wouldn''t accomplish it''s intent.

And I was thinking last night about how stressful a secret service job must be. I can''t imagine literally having someone''s life in my hands.
40.gif

It''s still the one of the first things that the international press would pick up on. I wasn''t trying to get into a gun debate, just answering the question "what would happen".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 9:23:44 AM

It''s still the one of the first things that the international press would pick up on. I wasn''t trying to get into a gun debate, just answering the question ''what would happen''.
Oh, I wasn''t either! I was just commenting on ss''s comment. Sorry if you took it wrong.
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all, just didn''t want to start the whole gun debate with either you or the other person and so I was attempting to clarify my comment since it''s now been quoted twice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results