shape
carat
color
clarity

What will take the sting out of turning 30, on a budget?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I think this should probably be posted in a different subforum, but my wallet can't run with the big dogs. :rodent:

I don't post much anymore (I've converted to a lurker), but when faced with trying to clue in my guy about what to get me for my looming 30th birthday :blackeye: , I figured I had to beeline straight for the ladies (and gents) of PS to help.

We just paid some nasty hospital bills and a $500+ immigration fee, so I think under $300 is as much as we could manage. I work, he goes to school. I'm just at a complete loss as to what would be suitable? A coloured stone pendant? Earrings? If it's metal instead of a gem, I look terrible in white metals, so it would need to be some sort of warm gold, like a yellow or rose gold.

I don't wear rings other than my placeholder on my left hand, and I don't wear watches. I wear necklaces, earrings, bracelets. Is it even remotely possible to get something nice for a $300 budget? :oops:

Galateia said:
I think this should probably be posted in a different subforum, but my wallet can't run with the big dogs. :rodent:

I don't post much anymore (I've converted to a lurker), but when faced with trying to clue in my guy about what to get me for my looming 30th birthday :blackeye: , I figured I had to beeline straight for the ladies (and gents) of PS to help.

We just paid some nasty hospital bills and a $500+ immigration fee, so I think under $300 is as much as we could manage. I work, he goes to school. I'm just at a complete loss as to what would be suitable? A coloured stone pendant? Earrings? If it's metal instead of a gem, I look terrible in white metals, so it would need to be some sort of warm gold, like a yellow or rose gold.

I don't wear rings other than my placeholder on my left hand, and I don't wear watches. I wear necklaces, earrings, bracelets. Is it even remotely possible to get something nice for a $300 budget? :oops:

Pearls... that's where my budget is headed! I'm finding that you can get a lot more for a lot less than diamonds :))

This is high on my want list:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings2611.aspx

Or..how d'you feel about tahitian tin cups?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/80-90-mm-Tahitian-Tin-Cup-Round-Pearl-Bracelet2788.aspx

Hi, Galateia!

I just turned 30 on October 8th, and I feel for you, honey! My entire life I've really loved my birthdays, and for whatever reason I just plain felt awful about turning 30.

DH knew this. I told him no parties. We have a no gift policy, too, instead we write each other long handwritten letters. Well, I ended up feeling pretty wonderful on my birthday because DH and my best friend did a couple of things that reminded me of how lucky I am:

- DH had a gorgeous cake made. It was the shape of a giant book, and the title was "Life is Wonderful After 30" and then it had my name on the bottom as the author. I've been writing a novel for a while now, and DH knew that seeing my vision of publishing (even in icing) would perk me up and remind me of one big goal I currently have.

- On the morning of my birthday he set a small jewelry box out with my handwritten letter. There was a beautiful necklace in the box, a delicate little platinum heart with tiny diamonds on it on a very thin chain. He said he wanted me to have something to wear and look back on and say "he gave that to me when I turned 30."

- He wrote me the best letter yet. It made me cry, and I've reread it at least four times since. It included 30 things he loves about me, among other things.

- My best friend gave me the best gift ever. It's a girl's getaway to a gorgeous resort just a few hours from us. She had it all planned with a spa day, a special dinner, everything.

All of this made me feel so overwhelmed with love and goodness, I was so happy to be alive and to be me that I couldn't feel anything but good on my birthday.

So, tell him to make you feel special, I say!

Yssie said:
Galateia said:

Pearls... that's where my budget is headed! I'm finding that you can get a lot more for a lot less than diamonds :))

This is high on my want list:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings2611.aspx

Or..how d'you feel about tahitian tin cups?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/80-90-mm-Tahitian-Tin-Cup-Round-Pearl-Bracelet2788.aspx

I loooove pearls, but I already have some cultured baroques, rounds, and even peacocks. They are difficult to wear on a daily basis without making me look like a little girl dressed up in her mom's clothes - I've got a terminal babyface and I haven't quite gotten the hang of wearing them casually. I did wear a neckscarf last week without looking like a complete tool, so I have hope that I will evolve into nonchalant pearl wearing, but my current strands are already gathering dust ... :(sad

Haven said:
Hi, Galateia!

I just turned 30 on October 8th, and I feel for you, honey! My entire life I've really loved my birthdays, and for whatever reason I just plain felt awful about turning 30.

DH knew this. I told him no parties. We have a no gift policy, too, instead we write each other long handwritten letters. Well, I ended up feeling pretty wonderful on my birthday because DH and my best friend did a couple of things that reminded me of how lucky I am:

- DH had a gorgeous cake made. It was the shape of a giant book, and the title was "Life is Wonderful After 30" and then it had my name on the bottom as the author. I've been writing a novel for a while now, and DH knew that seeing my vision of publishing (even in icing) would perk me up and remind me of one big goal I currently have.

- On the morning of my birthday he set a small jewelry box out with my handwritten letter. There was a beautiful necklace in the box, a delicate little platinum heart with tiny diamonds on it on a very thin chain. He said he wanted me to have something to wear and look back on and say "he gave that to me when I turned 30."

- He wrote me the best letter yet. It made me cry, and I've reread it at least four times since. It included 30 things he loves about me, among other things.

- My best friend gave me the best gift ever. It's a girl's getaway to a gorgeous resort just a few hours from us. She had it all planned with a spa day, a special dinner, everything.

All of this made me feel so overwhelmed with love and goodness, I was so happy to be alive and to be me that I couldn't feel anything but good on my birthday.

So, tell him to make you feel special, I say!

That is so sweet! The letter writing tradition is beyond wonderful. Talk about something you can treasure!

He is planning on making me a pumpkin pie for my birthday 'cake', since that is a part of my childhood, but it would be nice to have something that won't be gone by the time I digest it. ;)) The bolded part is exactly what I am looking for; I don't want something that will break the bank, but something sentimental and of good enough quality that I can get misty over it on my 60th birthday.

Can you think of anything that would fit the bill? He's getting frustrated because I know I want something but can't figure out what ...

I am ALL ABOUT the budget shopping. $300? Totally doable. I tend to love vintage pieces, so I go to eBay and search the simplest combinations of terms likely to give me what I want - "ruby" + "deco," say. I'm happy to search for you (and I bet I'm not the only one) - is there anything in particular that sings to you, theoretically?

Alternately, if the iffy-maybe-no-guarantee eBay path is disheartening right now, I've been tempted for ages to start a Tiffany charm bracelet. I think most of their stuff is hideously overpriced, but a lot of the charms are both, a) well, charming, and b) pretty reasonable for what they are. And it would be nicely significant to look back on your 60th birthday at the luxe, meaningful bracelet you started on your 30th ....

ETA: crossposted, and included the 60th b-day bit entirely by coincidence. Synchronicity!

Circe said:
I am ALL ABOUT the budget shopping. $300? Totally doable. I tend to love vintage pieces, so I go to eBay and search the simplest combinations of terms likely to give me what I want - "ruby" + "deco," say. I'm happy to search for you (and I bet I'm not the only one) - is there anything in particular that sings to you, theoretically?

Alternately, if the iffy-maybe-no-guarantee eBay path is disheartening right now, I've been tempted for ages to start a Tiffany charm bracelet. I think most of their stuff is hideously overpriced, but a lot of the charms are both, a) well, charming, and b) pretty reasonable for what they are. And it would be nicely significant to look back on your 60th birthday at the luxe, meaningful bracelet you started on your 30th ....

ETA: crossposted, and included the 60th b-day bit entirely by coincidence. Synchronicity!

I love ebay, but I never buy anything too expensive from there for fear of getting fleeced. If you would like to show me eye candy, my eyes are peeled and ready to go! :bigsmile:

I love vintage pieces, especially if they are delicate and vaguely Van Craeynesty. (I also love posting that without the need to explain it) My placeholder ring in my avatar is a vintage find off ebay, actually. I'm more into big, statement bracelets than charm bracelets, but necklaces can be anything from simple and classic to bold and ballsy to delicate vintage.

I tossed it off as a random option, but I'm wondering if a coloured stone pendant might fit the bill after all. I know there are some really interesting stones out there, and pendants don't need a hard stone to survive the wear and tear a ring would get.

P.S. you ladies are awesome :love:

You're in the UK, or thereabouts as I recall ... would something like this be your style? It's not *too* VCisty, but it has a certain appeal, I think (hell, I'm tempted :rodent: ). If you tell me your birthstone, favorite color, etc., will happily ferret around for more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-9CT-GOL...s_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item5195a7dc9b

P.S. - I'm leery of eBay, too. I'm always careful to buy only from people with good return policies, convincing photos, and good track records. I wouldn't gamble more than I could lose on it ... but so far, I've found some amazing deals, and the one stinker I ordered was returned with no fuss whatsoever. Fingers crossed for the streak to continue. :saint:

Circe said:
You're in the UK, or thereabouts as I recall ... would something like this be your style? It's not *too* VCisty, but it has a certain appeal, I think (hell, I'm tempted :rodent: ). If you tell me your birthstone, favorite color, etc., will happily ferret around for more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-9CT-GOL...s_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item5195a7dc9b

P.S. - I'm leery of eBay, too. I'm always careful to buy only from people with good return policies, convincing photos, and good track records. I wouldn't gamble more than I could lose on it ... but so far, I've found some amazing deals, and the one stinker I ordered was returned with no fuss whatsoever. Fingers crossed for the streak to continue. :saint:

I'm a Canadian in Texas. ;))

Er, favourite colours ... uh, I like lighter stones rather than darker ones, but colour doesn't matter that much. Greens, blues, purples, reds, yellow, white ... I would love to have a diamond pendant, but it might be my 60th birthday before I can afford one! :rodent: it doesn't have to be a stone, either.

When going for vintage, I think my style is a little more dainty- like filigree. I do love the look of deco pieces but they are usually in white metal, which makes me look corpse-y. I also like simple pieces too, they don't have to be vintage.

Edit: I am going to ferret out some pieces that are not necessarily in budget, but some styles that I like, if that would help?

Second edit: After ogling some of Freke's collection, oh baby those coloured stones are looking promising ... I never knew garnets could look so good! :shock:

You are getting great help. Turning 30??? That's so young woman!!!! Enjoy your youth, and your health, god bless!!!! ::) Can't wait to see what you pick.

:love:

This is the sparkliest rabbit hole I have ever fallen down!

I hear you on the babyface! Though I consider that a good thing 8) Coloured stone pendant sounds fabulous! BEG has you covered, looks like ::) :love:

I'm definitely looking forward to the pretties this thread produces!

SO's birthstone is sapphire, and it looks like there are options out there other than the typical dark/vivid blue I associated with sapphire, and mine is topaz (ugh) unfortunately topaz's traditional diluted urine colour isn't my thing either ... but it looks like there are other options for that too!

I would be fine with getting the stone first and getting the setting later, so there is no serious rush ... I don't need it done before my birthday, just started, right? ;))

Shape-wise, I like rounds, cushions, pears mostly. There are some really lovely square/rectangular cuts out there, though.

Hi Galateia,

Congrats on the upcoming birthday. I am in a similar position for our anniversary, very very low on fun funds. I am wavering between a coloured gem, pearls or just an IOU. $300 is pretty much my budget too (I also have to pay vat and duty) and it is enough cash to open enough doors to want me to up the budget- which isn't possible. So anyhoo, just posting to say I feel your pain. It is difficult to get something extra special and not go over budget.

BTW, I love that 4.73 topaz :love:

I would buy something like this, have the pin stem removed and a bale added.

Girl, a plane ticket out of that place you live. ;))

Galatetia! I've been wondering where you went! I've been wanting to talk to you about life in Texas and how immigration and everything was going. However when you left PS I had no clue how to find you! I'm dreading turning 30 (not because I consider it old, but because each year is passing quicker than the last) and I've got a few years yet, but I know it's just around the corner and times flying by! Idk if you remember but we pretty much switched places, lol. I'm now in the GTA dating a Canadian and was drug out of Houston to Toronto, while you a Canadian were drug from GTA to Texas. I'm still finding out all the in's and out's of the immigration process, but to say going though customs at the airport and driving across has been nerve racking and not so fun. I also miss work, school and friends.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Anyways! Bling bling bling for 300.00?! Can do! I'd try ebay (I know you said your not fond of it) but you can get a great deal on what your looking for if you know what to look for!

Here are some diamond earrings that are huggies:
http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/211/Earrings/listings/17304/14k-White-Gold-Diamond-Inside-Out-Huggies.html

IDK if you like purple at all, but I like this amethyst one
http://cgi.ebay.com/14K-GOLD-DIAMOND-AMETHYST-ANTIQUE-NECKLACE-PENDANT-/400127729014?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item5d29789d76

and this one
http://www.rubylane.com/item/528317-297/Whiteside-Blank-14K-Yellow-Gold

And this ones hard to tell by photos, but the heart I thought was a cute idea...not sure though
http://www.rubylane.com/item/583356-450/Sapphire-Heart-Pendant

This is unique, idk if your taste though
http://www.rubylane.com/item/369401-RLx202664/Fine-10K-Yellow-Gold-Pendant

I had a beautiful necklace made by Patrick Irla (etsy) that fits in your budget. The diamond was mine but you could
use a gemstone and still keep it under $300.

prettyneck1.jpg

I got a 1 cttw 5 stone ring. Sure, I didn't find it until 6 months after my birthday, but it definitely helped!! I just turned 31 on the 18th. That was easier to handle with a Kindle.

I've no advice on pressies but Gala!! So good to see you posting here again. How are things with you in Texas?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP