shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do with two 3.7 mm rubies?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
what would you do with 2-3.7mm rubies? they are currently set in a ring that I am thinking about purchasing from an antique store this weekend. I''ll be removing the center diamond to make a pendant, but that leaves me with the setting and the rubies side stones....

earrings?

re-sell?

save for later projects?

keep in setting and sell or re-use the setting?

some other great idea...?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
3.7 is on the smaller side, so I don''t think I would use them as studs.

I vote keeping them in the setting, and then either use the setting for another project or put them up for sale. I would probably discourage taking sidestones out of mountings because you might end up putting a ton more time and money into the both, not to mention breaking up an antique piece. Finding a setting to reset those two little rubies might be harder than you expect (and they might even get beat up in the process of removal).

Either way, I''d love to see pictures of the ring, and your pendant design!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is pretty (I assume it is since it is an antique setting), how about adding a coloured stone into it?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A photo of the setting would help regarding suggestions.

Unless you have a lab report that says a bit more than just that they''re rubies, I wonder how cost-effective it would be to even reset them (and also risk damage in the process). Such stones don''t cost too much, and if they''re heavily treated, even less, so I''d probably suggest keeping the setting for a future project. Maybe getting a third one could be nice, or (depending on the ring design) finding a stone of another species to work with them.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I thought they''d be small for studs too, unless they were halo studs in which case it might look good.

I was figuring I''d probably keep the rubies in the setting and either sell it as a semi-mount, or put a stone in...it is a pretty setting, yellow gold with a simple flower profile when seen from the side--not filigree though. If I buy it this weekend I''ll post pics. I am also getting a 5 stone RHR (YAY) so I''m not sure if I would wear a colored stone ring. I''m running out of fingers:)

If I did make it a colored stone ring, what kind of stone would look good in the center? The center is currently a .75 ct OEC that''s 5.6mm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma Re brought up a very interesting point; the rubies could be synthetic stones which were pretty common back then, depending upon how old the piece is.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
the dealer says they are genuine rubies with very minimal natural inclusions (only visible under 10X magnification) and the tables are slightly abraded.

that''s all the info I have on them...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to invest too much money into it, I''m pretty sure a nice round rhodolite would look very nice in there. It would have that red component, but still be distinctively different, and a round one could have nice brilliance even in that size. It would remain tastefully colorful, but those burgundy-purplish flashes coming from the rhodolite would somewhat cool down all the warm colors of the ring. But there are many other options out there - something brown like a cognac diamond, something violet like a color change sapphire or whatever color combo you''d like in there. Have fun!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much for the advice and ideas. I found a great deal on a BGD diamond, so I think I''lm just going to make my pendant with that for now and wait like 10 years until I can afford my dream perfect flowery 1 ct+ OEC with an open culet.

My jewelry funds are now done for the year, but next year I''ll be in the market for a colored stone piece and will be back for advice again:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results