shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do with sapphire and diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nolessthan6carats

Rough_Rock
I received this lovely 6 ct sapphire ring with trillion side stones four years ago. I really love the center stone, but am tired of all the issues that I have had with ring. My ex had it custom made through Jacob & Co. Within a week I had returned it for some repairs, one of the trillions v setting was so sharp on the point I sliced my neighboring finger open, they looked at me like I was an idiot and returned the ring two weeks later with everything smoothed as requested.

When I picked it up that day, one of the trillions was loose and I mentioned it, and the manager fobbed me off and said no, it was a perfect setting, a crown setting to be precise and looked at it under his loupe. Within 24 hrs I was searching the bathroom floor looking for aforementioned trillion. I returned it for repairs but within a few weeks the stones were loose again. Now maybe I am a rough wearer but it was just everyday use. It''s not like I was gardening, washing the dishes or doing construction work...so I took it back, again.

Had everything checked as I had mentioned that I wore the ring daily and I was concerned about the usage loosening the stones. When I picked the ring up they tightened everything to the point that they flattened the prongs on the center stone, which still wiggles so I hope it hasn''t been damaged by all the shoddy work, but one of my trillions did not fare so well, it chipped a piece of one of the edges....and i only noticed it about a week after I got it back...it could have happened in wear I guess but could they have over tightened the stone to the point that it shears off a sliver on the edge very near one of the points?
sigh.

I gave up wearing the ring that day and really just didn''t want to deal with going back to the jewellers there as they had always made me feel incredibly uncomfortable by putting me down or telling me I was inexperienced in front of other customers, or the best was when I took the ring in the velvet box and the white branded cardboard box for the third time and they still asked me if I had gotten the ring from there..... fast forward, 4 years later, and I stumble on this amazing site PS, and all the incredible stories here.

I am inspired to have the ring reworked, possibly even setting the stone in a halo with pave or micro pave work and really don''t know where to start or what to do as a lot of places don''t want to touch the ring because it was from another designer... so I need your help lovely people of the pricescope forum.

Where do I start and what suggestions do you have and who can you recommend?

Thanks,

Freebird.

ps. I apologize for the quality of the photo I still haven''t worked out how to use the macro settings on my nikon d60. lol.

nolessthan6caratssapphire1077.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it just wasn''t a well made setting to start with. I''d just give up on it and reset the whole thing. If you want a (more or less) care free ring that you can wear every day then I would not get a setting with micropave. I''d maybe reset it with halfmoons instead of the trillions, that way you don''t have to worry about stabbing yourself again. The sapphire looks gorgeous though!

nolessthan6carats

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kismet! i do love the sapphire. It''s funny because when I first got it I wanted to wear it every day, now I think I just want to do something as a show piece and make it a little more dainty. It will be a right hand ring for fun. Half moons would have been great the first time around!
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2009 3:28:09 PM
Author: Kismet
It sounds like it just wasn''t a well made setting to start with. I''d just give up on it and reset the whole thing. If you want a (more or less) care free ring that you can wear every day then I would not get a setting with micropave. I''d maybe reset it with halfmoons instead of the trillions, that way you don''t have to worry about stabbing yourself again. The sapphire looks gorgeous though!
ditto Kismet. your picture looks incredible, not sure why you said the quality of the photo is blah...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to read about your bad experience with the ring and jeweller. A well made setting should not give this many problems. Pave and micro-pave has its own sets of problems as well (missing melees) although some very fine workmanship will lessen that risk. I like Kismet’s suggested idea of half moons. It’s a softer look and still gives a lot of finger coverage.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring and great color on the sapphire. I like the half moons as suggested or maybe rounds or tapered baguettes (sideways) on the ring and have the trillions mounted as studs or dangle earrings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and stones regardless of the quality of craftsmanship. I think the actual gold part was made poorly, and it would be a pity not to reuse the trillions or use them in something else (a necklace??). I would think a good jeweler would make a protective tip on the points of the trillions in order to make it more comfortable, and that's just awful about the stone sliceing open your finger like that!!
23.gif

The construction is obviously poor, and the stones should not go loose like that so soon after repairs. I hope you get it remade by a master jeweler.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 12:40:43 AM
Author: marcyc
Very pretty ring and great color on the sapphire. I like the half moons as suggested or maybe rounds or tapered baguettes (sideways) on the ring and have the trillions mounted as studs or dangle earrings.
I was gonna suggest this too, or you could go with something like pears (wider ones) or even radiants. But whatever you choose, pay a lot of attention to proportions.

P. S. If I were you I''d never set foot in that jewellery store again; the very least they can do after selling something so expensive (I''m guessing it wasn''t exactly cheap) is be polite and helpful.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
That is a great looking sapphire! It''s a perfect size for your finger.

Just sounds to me like the jeweler is the last place you ever want to go again -- not only did their "craftsmanship" fail repeatedly, but their customer service is even worse than their product. My husband recently bought me a birthday ring with a huge stone (just prasiolite so nothing pricey) and pretty dainty prongs. Those two worked against each other and I found myself having to return to the jeweler three times to get things adjusted (once it had been damaged on it''s way back to the jeweler from wherever it was fixed, etc). Each time the jeweler was nothing but apologetic, and didn''t charge a thing for any of the work. But I definitely understand being "over" the hassle, especially when they were not ideal.

You know, you could still keep the trillions in the design if you still like them after they did physical harm to you.
1.gif
A much better jeweler would be able to build you a setting that would slightly adjust them out of stabbing range, and/or have a better way of dealing with their prongs. Then again, a halo of little diamonds sounds really tempting to me too.

Can''t wait to see what you decide!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm procrastinating, so I did a quick search of sapphires with halos . . . I guess this is too big a halo since you mentioned pave or micro pave?

But, do you like the prongs prominently featured like this . . . or (posting another)

(oops, sorry, that's a big pic.)

sapphire halo 1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
. . . or do you like the more seamless look like this?

sapphire halo 2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This is to give you an idea of the half moons (tell me to stop if you want! lol).

sapphire half moons.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
You mentioned that this was from an ex, do you still want to keep it as a ring? How about setting it as a pendant and recycle the trillions for some other projects?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just gorgeous! And it is so sad to hear about your rude jewelers
38.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a lovely sapphire :)

I like the half moon idea as well. Or something sleek and modern like this :

EWtabz.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring. Such a shame about the workmanship.

Be careful with a halo because it has the potential to darken your sapphire. I love the idea of half moons though - WOW!

Please let us know what you do.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2009 12:50:38 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
I''m procrastinating, so I did a quick search of sapphires with halos . . . I guess this is too big a halo since you mentioned pave or micro pave?

But, do you like the prongs prominently featured like this . . . or (posting another)

(oops, sorry, that''s a big pic.)
Wow, that reminds me of a famous Princess ring!
31.gif
30.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 5:55:08 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 7/7/2009 12:50:38 PM

Author: fierypyropixy

I''m procrastinating, so I did a quick search of sapphires with halos . . . I guess this is too big a halo since you mentioned pave or micro pave?

(oops, sorry, that''s a big pic.)

Wow, that reminds me of a famous Princess ring!
31.gif
30.gif

Hehe, you too? I posted that first, and then realized whose ring I SHOULD have posted, but it was too late. C''est la vie!

nolessthan6carats

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your great ideas and thoughts. I really like some of the ideas. the flower halo is v. reminiscent of Princess Diana''s engagement ring, and I always coveted that when I was a child. I love the seamless photo as well. Thank you so much for the pics fierypyropixy

I would still like to keep the center stone as a ring and I thank you for the idea to set the trillions as studs. Have been wanting some diamond earrings forever!!! Can anyone recommend a master jeweler who has been good to work with? I really want to have something done, but obviously I am so cautious about who to approach as I am still very green to this industry.

Also the ring was set in platinum not 18k gold...so obviously I was really very disappointed with the troubles I had with it as I assumed that platinum was more durable or should have held up better...

Sigh I have been looking at OMC diamonds as well as I would like to show my husband some styles for my e-ring and wedding band. We eloped two weeks ago and I am just wearing a cute little band but I want to get something very slim (1.5mm - 1.7mm) as I am going through a dainty faze.
25.gif
6.gif
and I''d love to be able to wear the sapphire as a right hand ring, when I go out with the girls, and possibly pass it on to my nieces later.
Thanks,

Freebird..

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I always read lots of praise about Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones . . . and that''s just off the top of my head. Leon Mege does absolutely beautiful (enviable) work, but sometimes I''ve read his manner can be brusque. I haven''t gotten to work with any of these yet but search the forums for them to get some reviews here.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure how protected the tips of your trillions are but here''s a Mark Morrell setting which looks good and it doesn''t seem to let the trillions cut into the skin: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Work-2004/

(scroll to John M in the middle of the page)

Also like the modern two-tone semi bezel that was posted earlier.

You could also set the Oval with two tapered baguettes on either side and it would be more dainty like this:

fficial%26hs%3DXpK%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1'' target="_blank"> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Diamonds/images/Round%2520Ring%25203.44%2520w%2520baguette-2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Diamonds/RoundCutRings/Round-Ring-3.44Baguette.asp&usg=__EhxX8x_dlnEHVT1S9Rkb0uIB_28=&h=300&w=400&sz=30&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=08_VGwyEkduaiM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doval%2Bring%2Bwith%2Bbaguettes%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox%26rls%3Dcom.yahoo:en-USfficial%26hs%3DXpK%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results