shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my chip PrecisionGem peridot....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I had sent my peridot to have it mount on a prong setting. and they had chip the facets near the prongs...it look more like abraded, whereby the facets does not display a precise line, its fuzzy..the benchman acknowledges the problem and he said that he had it repolish. I understand that weight will be lost in the process. Can anyone advise how much weight will be lost? will it become even smaller in size? I am worried that it will not come back looking the same as Gene'' cut.. what should I do?
8.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well right now you can''t do much except wait to see it. I can''t tell you what the weight loss will be cause I''m not experienced in that department, but I doubt it will be very much. You probably won''t even notice the size difference. Fingers crossed that it all turns out good
2.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Send it back to Gene to do the repair on the jewelers dime if it isn't to late.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 10:26:02 AM
Author: Karl_K
Send it back to Gene to do the repair on the jewelers dime if it isn't to late.

ditto this.
Not many jewellers I know of are experienced lapidarists, ( and vice versa!)
If the guy acknoweldged it is his fault, I would inform him you want the original cutter (Gene) to fix it and ask them to cover the cost.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh so sorry to read this. I hope you get it resolved quickly!! And it is good that the setter admitted the error.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Chictomato is not in the US and the cost to send the stone back to Gene and shipped back to her will far outweight the cost of the peridot. Re-polishing doesn't lose much carat weight; it probably around 0.01 ct thereabouts. If you are concerned about the skill of the lapidary, I'd leave the peridot as it is. After all, with a few years of wear, the facet junctions will get worn down as well.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! Thank you so much for the help. I have left an email to Gene, will keep you guys update :)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! Gene had replied, he thinks that repolishng the crown facets should not be a major issue. the important part is the concave faceting on the pavilion which is not possible to repolish. the benchman said that he had used the guy before and reassured that all will turn out fine.. but well I think that was what he said before chipping my peridot:)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t set my asscher peridot yet precisely because of this. I was told it had to be prong set because it is soft, it couldn''t be bezel set. Now I am afraid to set it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are you going to get it fixed or let it go?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2009 8:33:55 AM
Author: autumngems
I haven''t set my asscher peridot yet precisely because of this. I was told it had to be prong set because it is soft, it couldn''t be bezel set. Now I am afraid to set it.
I am SCARED now..:) I dare not trust another benchman, or should I just keep Gene''s peridot and not mount it? advise pls....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m confused...I thought it was already mounted and that’s when it was damaged? I''ve bezeled a concave cut peridot as a gift for my mother and it went without a hitch. Then again, this benchperson is very experienced with all types of gemstones.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono sorry for the late reply! I was away, no internet access. O ya the peridot was mounted and was scratched. Hence he remove it from the mount to re-polish the peridot. I had just collected the peridot today, and it is exactly the same as it was from Gene''s hand even under 10X magnification. I am please with the repair. However, I have to say that though the size remains the same, the weight has drop from 1.68 to 1.63... Anyway the benchman advises not to mount the peridot as its too brittle. So now I have both the setting and the peridot, without a professional to put them together:)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer. But I''m glad that the stone was restored to it''s former glory!! Will you look for a benchman that''s more familiar with colored stones?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
.05 is not a bad loss at all! I''m glad Gene was able to spruce up the chip/

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/15/2009 10:33:15 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Bummer. But I''m glad that the stone was restored to it''s former glory!! Will you look for a benchman that''s more familiar with colored stones?

Yes I just found one, who does mounting for a number of peridots, had just pass the casing to him. Hopefully everything turns out well! Will post a pict when its done:) Btw the re-polishing was done by a local guy, not Gene as he thinks that actually the Eastern style of cutting free form is much faster for this type of work. Moreover should I send the stone back to Gene for repolishing, he price I would have to pay to ship the stone back and forth plus Gene''s cutting costs would be more than what I paid for the stone.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with everything. Hopefully your new benchperson will be able to set it correctly with no future incidents!

(By the way, have you set you CC sapphire yet?)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/16/2009 7:50:51 AM
Author: AustenNut
Good luck with everything. Hopefully your new benchperson will be able to set it correctly with no future incidents!

(By the way, have you set you CC sapphire yet?)

Hi AustenNut, i did not purchase the CC sapphire:) advises are that the depth is too shallow and its gonna have a huge window, hence I turn it down.. still on a lookout though:) do keep me posted should you come by any! tks:)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 3:16:35 AM
Author: chictomato

Yes I just found one, who does mounting for a number of peridots, had just pass the casing to him. Hopefully everything turns out well! Will post a pict when its done:) Btw the re-polishing was done by a local guy, not Gene as he thinks that actually the Eastern style of cutting free form is much faster for this type of work. Moreover should I send the stone back to Gene for repolishing, he price I would have to pay to ship the stone back and forth plus Gene''s cutting costs would be more than what I paid for the stone.
GREAT!! I look forward to seeing photos of it when done. I love the Peridot green.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/16/2009 12:49:51 PM
Date: 11/16/2009 3:16:35 AM

Author: chictomato

GREAT!! I look forward to seeing photos of it when done. I love the Peridot green.

Sure:) ! Btw the peridot looks brighter to me after it was repolish? or is it just me? anyone knows the reason??

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it just reflects light better since there are no scratches at all on it, not even microscopic ones. Just my guess.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/16/2009 9:17:58 PM
Maybe it just reflects light better since there are no scratches at all on it, not even microscopic ones. Just my guess.

Hmm..but I was comparing to the way it look when its first arrived from Gene''''s hands:) and after the repolish. Not when it was scratched.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results