shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with garnet ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
...that I never wear?
There''s a bit of a story behind this ring. Basically, I look at is as my rookie mistake. I originally purchased the setting for my engagement ring. However, it was built for a 7.5 mm (approximately 1.5 ct) stone, and when I found my 8.8 mm (2.70 ct)diamond on CL, I knew there was NO WAY I wanted to chance cramming the diamond in there. So I set this setting aside and figured I''d find a lovely colored stone someday to fill it. Well a month or two after I got engaged, Intergem rolled around. So I thought I''d go an look for a nice colored stone to fit my mounting. Here''s where all of my mistakes start. After searching for several hours and not finding much of anything, I stumbled across this lovely garnet. The rich red/pink/purple colors emanating from its facets made my heart melt
30.gif
. Inside the case it didn''t look too large and it happened to be just withing my budget for the day. I showed the bench jeweler my setting (which I had conveniently brought with me) to see if he thought it would fit. He said it would fit, no problem. I noticed that the girdle did sit up above the prongs a little and not comfortably inside them so I asked about it''s carat weight. The jeweler weighed it right in front of me. It read 2.80ct. I should have walked away then and there but I didn''t. The jeweler assured me it would fit and I took his word.

The next part involves the mistake I most regret. I let the bench jeweler at Intergem set the stone
38.gif
, which goes against everything I''d read on PS. It was a total disaster. It was not ready on time and when it was finally finished, the jeweler had whittled down the once substantial prongs to nothing
23.gif
. Originally, the prongs had enlarged ball tips, like those on a crown. He said that the original prongs looked too bulky and I told him that was not his decision to make. Ultimately I made him redo the prongs twice to get them to look somewhat normal. They are not what they used to be but they''re better than they could have looked. There are a couple little pock marks and one of the melee at the base of the euro shank was knocked out (which I did not notice until I''d arrived home.)

I have definitely learned my lesson. I was too embarrassed to come to PS with my story of stupidity at the time, but I''ve forgiven myself for my mistakes. I brought the ring to a reputable and expensive local jeweler who said the damage could be fixed but gave me an astronomical price. They also told me that the garnet is probably a rhodolite, but that''s beside the point. I''m sure I could get it done cheaper, but I haven''t looked into any other options. I guess I''m not motivated to fix it.

I think my Intergem experience has left me a little reluctant to wear the ring. It reminds me of that dreadful day and I cannot quite forget the flaws in the prongs. When I did wear it (once, 5 months ago), the garnet didn''t respond to some lighting conditions in the way I imagined it would. It can look a little dark and dead. Additionally, it''s not the right size for my right ring finger (don''t want to resize due to 3-sided pave), and it feels awkward to wear it on my middle finger as it sits a bit high and wide for me. I just don''t know what to do with it. My heart still melts when it flashes it''s beautiful colors at me but I''m thinking I might sell it. I haven''t quite developed the love of colored stones that I thought I would yet, and perhaps there''s a better owner out there for it. I''d like to hear your perspective on the ring''s current appearance and also my concern. Thanks!!!

IMG_0326_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is still very pretty regardless of your horrible experience, which I am truly sorry about. However, not all is lost. Why not find a round stone with a smaller depth, so that the existing prongs can be reused? The garnet can always be placed into another mounting later on. That stone looks as if it was set too high, or has a long depth anyways.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww snickle- it happens to the best of us at times
3.gif
but I agree with TL, otherwise, if you truly love each piece, revamp it by putting the tourmaline into something else and find another smaller gem for the setting. Otherwise, dismount the gem and sell it separately.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
It does look like a rhodolite. Is there anything wrong with that? Did you know that rhodolite is a type of garnet?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
How unfortunate Snicklefritz. Nothing ruins a beautiful stone like the wrong setting. I bet the right setting could transform this for you and make you fall in love again...

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
TL and D&T, I guess I feel I''ve wasted too much money on this project already. Part of me just wants to wash my hands of it and put it up on CL
15.gif
. Though now that I think about it, the garnet may look stunning in a rose gold Lotus by Sally
30.gif
. Wonder if I''d wear that? Now you''ve got me thinking. Should I just scrap the setting? I can''t imagine anyone buying it by itself, and I don''t think I want to have something else set into it. Thank you for your empathy and kind suggestions.

Indy, I don''t think rhodolite is a bad thing. I think it''s a good thing. I just think I got myself into a bad situation.
7.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Porrige. Maybe there is the possibility of falling in love with it again.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do not sell the setting; it is gorgeous! It''d be such a waste because the monetary loss will be huge. Take your time to find a new coloured stone or whatever else your heart desires for the setting. As for the stone, it also sounds like you don''t love it 100% in which case, I''d sell it and move on.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I thought the setting was the most gorgeous I''d ever seen when I first purchased it. Now there are things about it that bug me. Perhaps if I found a stone that would sit lower it would become my pride and joy again. Part of me definitely hates the thought of giving up on it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely a gorgeous setting! I probably wouldn''t give it up either. Take the Garnet out and put it away for a bit, bring it out much later and start another hunt for different stone
31.gif
. It truly is a spectacular setting Snickle!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lovely ring and I hated to hear how much disappointment you have had with it. I would keep the ring and try to find another gemstone for it. The rhodolite is very pretty as well so maybe you could eventually mount it in something else (rose gold sounds marvelous).

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful ring and the garnet is lovely. Most people prefer delicate prongs to balls so maybe the benchman just assume that''s what you want? Again I think the ring is gorgeous, I hope you''ll enjoy wearing it in time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
27.gif
I love it. Sell it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Seriously though. Make an effort to wear it for a week or two. And then see what you think of it after that time. If you still have issues... sell it (to ME!). That setting is stunning. And I would love to own it. I mean that.
27.gif

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T, marcy and lovinggems! It is beautiful. I wish I weren''t sick of looking at it
40.gif
. This thread has made me see that jewelry can really get into your head. I''m going to make a conscious effort to find it''s beauty again.

I like your suggestion Gypsy. I''ll keep you updated!
2.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the setting, and it is a pretty ring.
I think a lotus setting by Sally would be amazing with that stone. Keep the setting and let us help you find a new stone for it.
31.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, that setting is GORGEOUS
30.gif

The garnet is gorgeous, but as you''ve learned they don''t sometimes respond well in certain lighting. Rhodolites in particular well... I have one thats set its beautifully cut, but its the ring I don''t wear as often because of what it dosen''t do in most lights (it does look great in office lights though...which is amazing
40.gif
). It makes me a little sad sometimes because its such a gorgeous color.

At any rate I think you can use the setting for a different stone. The current one looks to be set pretty high. A smaller diameter stone would work well for your setting. You also may not have to rework the prongs with a smaller stone so its something to consider.

I would see if the setting can be set with something different without a rework before trying to sell it off.

-A

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks kribbie and Arcadian! I agree, something must be done. I hate to say it but I feel that this situation has ruined me on colored stones for awhile, sigh. And, I have no idea what I''d want to put in the setting. But, who knows, maybe I''ll fall in love again...someday.
3.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe the stone and the setting just don''t belong together. I see a lighter colored sparkly stone in that setting maybe a blue stone.

Either try to wear it for a while and see if it grows on you or put it away till you can seperate the stone from the setting and search for a new stone for the setting.

HTH

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice stone hunter. Sparkly blue would be pretty, wouldn''t it. I''ll have to give it some thought.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, I think that is a BEAUTIFUL stone! You did a wonderful job picking it, even if the setting ended up less than stellar.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
know i have a very high set and large stone as an e-ring....that i'm not enamored of a lot of diamonds.....that i like chunky rings: personally, i like this ring. i like the stone set up high. it separates it out and keeps the look with the diamonds uncluttered. yes, it was a horrible experience but i hope you don't do anything with it yet. think that even if you place another stone it it, you're always going to remember the original experience....nothing is going to erase that for you now. additionally, you'll be throwing more $ at it. i'm sorry you're having issues with this ring but i think it is worth keeping as is. want to sell it to me?
emteeth.gif

mz

eta: i think it looks great on our finger!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results