shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do...bezel? metal?

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
OK so I pulled the trigger on a pair of .4 J SI2 BGD H&A stones for a pair of studs. I viewed them on Monday. I had planned to go with a martini setting. In meeting with Brian he suggested I consider bezels as it will enhanced the size. I really hadn''t considered bezels. I just I have always felt they looked a bit modern for my taste. Honestly though I have never tried any on. Also when I saw the .4 stones I was feeling that they look small. This is because the last few times I have met with him I have been looking at 1.7 ct stones for my ring. I do want to enhance the size as much as possible. Do you think bezels are a classic look? I am not really a trendy person is why I am asking. Also I am wondering about palladium as a metal choice. I know little about it but I like the idea of no replating. Do you think this is as much of an issue in earrings as opposed to rings? What is the price difference between 18k wg and palladium?
Lastly I am meeting with Brian again on Friday as he is bringing me one of Lesley''s .5 ct bezel studs to try on. I just cannot visualize things. She is sweet to let me try on her jewelry
1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love bezel studs and think they look classic, not really modern at all. If you want a vintage twist though, ask for milgrain on them. There are several posts, including Deco''s inside out milgrain, that show people''s gorgeous bezel earrings.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote yes, enthusiastically! (Also, I feel like this is Bezel Day for me - I just recommended the bezel to somebody over in RT!) I think it''s an elegant, timeless look - the bezel has been around for a *lot* longer than the prong setting. If it was good enough for the Etruscans, right? It''s tremendously safe, it maximizes the apparent size of your stones ... I fail to see a downside! Palladium could work nicely for earrings, as it''s very white and will receive no real wear. That Brian knows what he''s doing!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 11:37:08 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
I love bezel studs and think they look classic, not really modern at all. If you want a vintage twist though, ask for milgrain on them. There are several posts, including Deco''s inside out milgrain, that show people''s gorgeous bezel earrings.

Ooo I like this idea. Bezeling with miligrain is so pretty.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Attached is a photo BGD sent me and one is miligrained....................

Anyone know the cost difference between wg and palladium

miligrain BGD bezel.jpg

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 12:02:33 PM
Author: february2003bride
I adore bezels! Have you considered diamond jackets? Alij got them for her studs and wow! what a size enhancer! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diagnosis-jacket-fever.75212/ You could get the martini prongs now and add the jackets later. I''m not sure if bezels work with jackets or not...

Well maybe someday but not now. My budget is gone after these studs. I like the idea of jackets over an increase in stud size. They are so sparkly and yes Brian told me they work with his bezels.

Do you think miligrain bezels would look nice with jackets? I guess I''ve never seen that but I have seen rings with the halos and miligrain and it looks really pretty

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw some milgrained bezel studs in person the other day for the first time and they looked totally awesome! That is my vote. And it REALLY enhances the size.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love bezels, so I am certainly biased. I think they look very classic and clean.

I don''t see a problem with jackets and milgrained bezels. For an idea of how it will look, do a search for milgrained halo rings - I remember seeing several and they looked great.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea BGD worked with palladium, is this something you have to special request? I found that palladium runs a little less to the same price as white gold, depends who you are buying it from.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I saw on his blog and facebook that he did a ring for someone, but I am now hearing it perhaps was wg with pallidium??

vabaz

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I will have to say I too was very hesitant regarding Bezel settings. I talked to both Lesley and Brian and decided to go ahead an try it for a pendant and I am soooo happy. It is gorgeous and you are right, that Brian Gavin knows his stuff! I''ve been looking now to buy some bezel studs and you may have gotten the stones I''d been eyeing. I know they will be beautiful bezel set!! Regarding the milgrain issue...my son just purchased a milgrained halo setting (for his fiance)from BGD and he couldn''t be happier (as far as guys go). His inteded is a major milgrain fan so it will be perfect for her! Check out BGD Halo setting and you will see what I am talking about. Not sure if I''d add the milgrain to the studs but that''s just my personal opinion- either way, they will be perfect for you and you can''t go wrong with BGD!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
As for Palladium -I''ve been working for BGD on a ring and earrings and they are not keen on Palladium I can tell you. At first they said they wouldn''t do it. But when I explained why I wanted it (having to replate white gold) - they did finally offer to make the ring in it but the price difference between that and platinum was very minimal (like $100 savings on the ring setting price) so it wasn''t worth it really. Not sure if they''d do it in earrings and if the price difference would be worth it over platinum. So, I just got the earrings in white gold (I doubt I''ll have to replate often with earrings as so very little metal actually shows (I got martini settings). And my ring I paid the extra $100 to get the platinum.

My studs are going to be 0.40 each too! I don''t have them yet but I currently have 0.25 in each ear so to me these WILL look big. :D

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian does the BEST bezels, not too thick and light still gets to the stone. I wouldn''t have anyone elses bezels but his! The are awesome and perfect!!! I can''t wait to see yours!!! I am so wishing for some
myself but just can''t decide on the size. Well, I could, but the ones I really want are more than I want to spend right now. Therein, lies the dilemma.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last e-ring was in palladium and Brian said his bench workers had a heck of a time with it. It is not easy to work with like other metals, too springy I think he said. He did not like working with it at
all. I went with it because it was cheaper. For the amount of time I had the ring, I could have just gone with 14K white. I don''t know what I was thinking.

melz

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of BGD studs very similar to yours in size, color and clarity. Initially I got them in a martini setting which I thought I was going to LOVE. I was so disappointed in the size I sent them back. Or maybe it was that I was used to the four prong setting of my last studs, I don''t know.

Then I started thinking about a bezel setting, and I called Lesley and had them re-set. I am so happy with my decision, it really got the size right for my ear. I never think twice about them except to admire them, which is want I want for an everyday earring (and I do wear them, exclusively, every day).

I so wish I had a before and after pic for you but of course when I sent the martinis back I didn''t know I''d be having them re-set!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to consider - a bezel setting for an earring is top-heavy (as in, there''s a big circle of metal around the stone, then more on the head) and platinum is a weighty metal. I would prefer palladium even with the minimal price difference from plat. for this reason - I want my earrings as light as possible.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
just wanted to chime in about BGD bezels...

I got mine a few weeks ago and I love them

the bezel looks thinner in real life than in the pics - it is so delicate and well executed

in my case the bezel added just on 1mm to the diameter creating the exact look and size I wanted on my lobes

I can't comment on your metal choice (as I went with wg) but I will be getting jackets at a later date for days when I want more sparkle (just some tiny micro pave ones)

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I am surprised not one person really pulling for the martini setting. I know with the size stones I have purchased that bezels are a good choice. And yes I have come to trust Brian''s opinion. I am glad to hear some think his setting lets in the light well. You now have me excited to try on the bezels on Friday!!!

legra

Brilliant_Rock
I also vote for bezels - I think they are a clean, classic look. I have a pair of 1.0 ctw diamond earrings in a 3 prong platinum basket setting from Costco. I love them and wear them all the time but seeing all the lovely bezel diamond jewelry on PS has me contemplating getting them reset into bezels. Sounds like the palladium will work nicely for earrings as the metal will stay white and it is lighter than platinum.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My earrings are .41 each (.82 ctw) and are prong set and I love them. . .I do think that bezel and prong are both equally classic in this day and age. Millgrain bezels are AMAZING. . .if you do go w/bezel, I''d for sure go for that style.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love bezel studs !:)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 4:12:22 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
My last e-ring was in palladium and Brian said his bench workers had a heck of a time with it. It is not easy to work with like other metals, too springy I think he said. He did not like working with it at

all. I went with it because it was cheaper. For the amount of time I had the ring, I could have just gone with 14K white. I don''t know what I was thinking.

I am finding a lot of people don''t like working with palladium. When I asked Leon for a quote for something he said he won''t work with it because it''s difficult. When I had my diamond taken out of my old e-ring at the local jeweler he told my husband he would not work with palladium for anything.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of BGD 0.62 ctw studs in platinum bezels, and I really like them. I had martini studs before, and I think the bezels actually sit closer to my earlobe than the martini settings did. I got platinum instead of white gold because my ears are sensitive to white gold, and the platinum doesn''t feel too heavy at all. Also, when I got the bezels the platinum price was only $100 more, so I thought it was well worth it.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I went this afternoon to Brian''s workshop and tried on the bezels. I ended up loving them. They definately gave some ear presence. I am so excited!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see them!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results