shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do... aquamarine ering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowc

Rough_Rock
On July 9th, my boyfriend of almost 4 years, finally purposed. I had been hinting, well directly telling him, how much I love aquamarine. I received a beautiful aqua ering. Since then, we have had nothing but problems... not with the aquamarine itself but with the setting. First problem, happened about 3 weeks after I received the ring, the prongs had loosened up and the main stone became loose. We brought it to the jewelers and it was fixed, but while there, a diamond that was on the band had fallen out. We were so concerned with the diamond that while the jewelers were putting in the diamond, they scratched and dented my band. I didn''t notice for about 2 days. We brought it back and yet again they fixed it, but they said that it couldn''t have been them, that it was I who damaged it. Earlier today, I was visiting my parents and noticed that my band, on the bottom was snapped. My fiance and I are now wondering what we should do. A big concern is the fact that since the band is snapped, a crack through the bottom, that I can see the white gold, but it doesn''t look like while gold... it is very dark in color. I am wondering if it is plated gold. I really am not sure what to do now... I love my ring and am devastated that I might have to get a new ring...
33.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that! Do you have pics of the crack?

snowc

Rough_Rock
I am actually very afraid that if i photograph the crack, that maybe I''ll bend it!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very sorry about your ring too. Are you within return period, the vendor doesn''t sound very trustworthy. Pictures will help a lot to clarify the damage to your ring.

snowc

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure if it is in the return period... ill get pictures asap

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Lovinggems. I would return it if possible, you can always get your new e-ring custom made to look like the old one.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohh so sorry about this, did you by chance have insurance on it as well? if so, then you file a claim and hopefully you can go elsewhere for the setting

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that..what is funny as i was reading your post..you said "we started having problems"..LOL..I was like oh no..he just proposed and and you guys are on rocky ground..LOL..but of course as i read on that was not the case but it was funny the way you worded it...heck, I would start from scratch..with that many problems so far..if you decide to get a new ring ask one of the ladies on here who they would recommend..it might cost a little more but you will be in good hands and not have to worry about anything else happening

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad the stone didn''t crack. I''m so sorry to hear that your sertting broke. I hope you have insurance.
15.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
With that many problems in such short time I''d seriously consider getting a new setting - sounds like it was not manufactured well, in which case you might continue having problems for a long time. The crack is probably white gold showing through the rhodium plating that''s wearing off, but that shouldn''t be happening so soon (even with daily wear, properly done rhodium plating can last for months). Can you tell me what hallmarks (stamps) you see on the inside of the band? If there is only the one for purity of metal, that would explain some things, as jewellers who don''t hallmark a piece with their sign often don''t guarantee for quality of the merchandise, which is often mass-produced and (sometimes) just resold by them. Next time (if you decide to change the ring) maybe you should make sure that you''re buying from a producer, who''ll stand behind his work.

P. S. That scratch on the metal may really not be their fault as you noticed it after two whole days, and a lot of things can happen in that time during normal wear (I notice scratches on my jewellery without even knowing how/when the damage occured).

snowc

Rough_Rock
The ring is stamped 14kt gold. The band itself, where it snapped, shows no wear, you can just barely see the hairline where it snapped. We also have no insurance on the ring. A couple days after my fiance purposed, he got laid off... I am also a college student trying to make ends meet... So if the jewelers lets us return the ring, then that is really all that we have to spend on a ring... I would love to find a new aqua and a setting... If the jewelers doesn''t let us return it, then I guess I''m SOL.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about all the problems with your ring! The prong loosening sounds weird - do you think you may have snagged it on something? I''ve done that before.
7.gif
The hairline crack also sounds odd - did you have your ring sized? If it''s directly in the back (palmside, when you''re wearing the ring), I''d suspect that the sizing wasn''t done right, and the metal wasn''t bonded together properly. I agree that you shouldn''t be having this many problems so soon - hopefully your jeweler will refund your money.

snowc

Rough_Rock
I actually just got off of the phone with the jewelers. They are hand making me a new one. The one in the store that they sold me was a "factory" made one. If this doesn''t work out and I still have problems with it, then they will give me a full refund. :) I guess that it is good that they are backing up what they sell! Is there any where that I could get a well-made good priced setting, for in the future?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 3:06:50 PM
Author: snowc

The one in the store that they sold me was a ''factory'' made one.
Like I suspected - but good to hear things are working out. Hope you''ll be happy with the next one. Ladies here will probably provide you with lots of trusted adresses to check out for quality jewellery.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 3:06:50 PM
Author: snowc
I actually just got off of the phone with the jewelers. They are hand making me a new one. The one in the store that they sold me was a ''factory'' made one. If this doesn''t work out and I still have problems with it, then they will give me a full refund. :) I guess that it is good that they are backing up what they sell! Is there any where that I could get a well-made good priced setting, for in the future?
snowc, there are lots of vendors that produce well-made and well-priced stock settings. Just let us know what style you''re looking for and there will be lots of people who can recommend some options.

I had a similar problem with my right hand ring, where the setting started to show a hairline ''crack'' on the band. It turned out that the jeweller had re-sized the ring more than he should have, and the pressure caused the band to eventually crack. I''m glad your jeweller was able to solve your problem and make you a new one. You must be so excited about getting a handmade engagement ring soon! I hope you''ll share pictures. Aquamarines are so beautiful
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowc,
You are taking all the right steps. It sounds like the original ring has structural issues that cannot be corrected. I’m glad that your jeweller agreed to make you a new ring and if it doesn’t work out, give you a full refund. This is the best outcome one can hope for.

snowc

Rough_Rock
A little update... the jewelry store returned the ring, even thought it was past the return period. I really miss the ring, but it had way to many problems... I am having one custom made and have already picked out a band. I am meeting with the jeweler tomorrow to decide on what kind of prong to hold my aqua and to pick out the actual aqua! We are getting a killer deal on it and are only spending 150 more to have a custom ring made! I am so excited to have a ring back on my finger in a couple more days! I hope to post some pictures of it soon! Thanks everyone for your concerns and help along the way!!!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I''m so glad that everything is turning out ok, I can''t wait to see pics!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with the new ring, and have fun with the design process. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results