shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do about these hands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GettingEngaged

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My girlfriend has very small hands. Her fingers are short, but not particularly thin (I think size 6).

The first question is shape: Is a 75 point princess cut going to make her fingers look even shorter and chubby? She really wants princess, but I''m getting concerned.

The second question is the ring itself: What should I get to make her fingers look longer, rather than shorter?

Thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
.75 should be fine.
A thin band will help.
No trellis or x-prong go with a thin band setting with or without pave.
Then go with a thin 1/2 eternity wedding band.

Or just go with what she likes and dont worry about it :}

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
well from a purely aesthetic standpoint an oval or emerald might be better BUT get herr what she wants. Has she tried a bunch on? If not she should to be sure. And yes a thin band and thin wedding band give a lighter look and wont break up her finger so much

actually have you considered a radiant cut or has she--------rectangular shape so more elongated but with brilliant faceting

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I have short chubby fingers -- size 6.75, so this was DEFINITELY a concern for me. I''m going with a very thin micropave setting (2mm). My stone is 1.2 ct, but I think the band makes the bigger difference that the stone.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I was also going to suggest a slightly squared radiant. It will elongate the finger but still give the appearance of the princess cut she desires.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess long shapes do wonders to make any hand look dainty. If pears and marquis and long rectangular stones of any kind are out of the question... neither square or round pull the trick as nicely regardless of how big they are, I think.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think size 6 is very small..most sample rings are size 6. Also, I respectfully suggest you let her be concerend about how it will look, not you.
The girl wants a princess. Get her a princess.
41.gif
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 9:43:31 AM
Author: strmrdr

I think that''s the best advice here

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2005 96:52 PM
Author: noobie

Date: 1/19/2005 9:43:31 AM
Author: strmrdr

I think that's the best advice here
Yes sir ! e-ring is no fashion article
34.gif

allan creates

Rough_Rock
Why don''t you design a ring that backs up towards the hand rather than just sitting like any other ring with the shank centered as usual.

Curve the shank to back the ring up and set the diamond in front of it and you have something nobody else has and more finger is exposed making it look longer.

A drop of ink that spreads can give hundreds perhaps thousands of ideas.

Allan Creates
http://www.ringlock.com
P.F.F. Ring Clasp

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2005 11:243 PM
Author: allan creates

Why don''t you design a ring that backs up towards the hand rather than just sitting like any other ring with the shank centered as usual.
It seems that these engagement rings are the most conservative of jewelry. Not surpirse though, since it is not the wearer that buys them and it is so hard to guess what someone else might like away from the beaten track
2.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You gurls think a rectangular, oval, marquise would make the finger looks longer??? It seems to me that a more elongation shape stone would make the finger looks shorter because the length of the stone would cover more of the lenght of the finger. I think the princess cut would make the finger look longer even though it seems like I am the only one that think so.
1.gif
A thinner band/setting will definitely be helpful in making the finger look longer (this I agree with everyone).

P.S. I have short fingers but I never worried about people thinking my fingers are short and no one ever made a statement about them (only comments on the ring).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'guess is just one thing to consider when trying rings out. Can't imagine any hard rule holding about a matter of taste like this
37.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
As long as the band isn''t too thick and full of stuff, I don''t think the shape matters enough to really make a difference. Plus, you buy a big enough stone, it won''t matter cuz people are just gonna be in awe of how much of her finger is covered by the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results