shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do about my wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to decide what I should do about my wedding band. Here''s my e-ring thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/no-longer-a-girlfriend.28664/=

I am kinda sentimental so I would really want to keep the wedding band I receive on my wedding day forever (i.e. i''d prefer not to upgrade or trade-up). I would also prefer to wear my w-band and e-ring on the same finger, so:

Dilemma #1 SHould I get a 1 sided band since one side of each ring will be covered anyway? BUt then I may occ be wearing only my w-band, and I feel like I may want more impact. THe one sided should save me some money. Three-sided is gorgeous of course, but is it a waste of money?

My first thought was to have Leon custom make a matching wedding band. It would be full eternity. Price quotes were $2500 for one sided, $2700 for 3 sided.

23.gif

Advantages are 1) His workmanship is exquisite and I know I would have a quality band 2) It would match perfectly

Disadvantages are 1)$$$$$

Option 2 would be to go with pre-made bands. The closest I''ve found is this ring from www.antiqueengagementrings.com. It is 2mm wide and 1.4mm tall. Band contains 1/4 to 1/3 carats of G-H color and VS clarity diamonds. Price is great $625. 30day return policy. However, I have heard some not good things about their service, so I am nervous.

aeronesidecoll.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ginger,
I like the idea of the one sided band by Leon. My concern about the 3 sided band is that you would have diamonds rubbing against each other when worn with your ering. Wonder what his answer to that would be?? I love your ering btw, it's fabulous.
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 3:54:29 PM
Author: kaleigh
My concern about the 3 sided band is that you would have diamonds rubbing against each other when worn with your ering. Wonder what his answer to that would be??
This is exactly what I would have listed as #1 under disadvantages...that would be far worse than spending the extra $500!! Unless he has some design concept to prevent this from happening, I would opt for 1 or 2 sided pave. If 2 sided, you could wear the blank side against the ering, and if wearing the wedding band alone, wear the blank side facing you so that from everyone else''s POV, it would look 3 sided.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with going one sided. I thought I read that Leon doesn''t suggest stacking rings with 3 sided pave. The band you posted is so pretty (I thought about getting it for my e-ring as well but am worried about the quality like you). I wish WF had a similar ring, though I suppose they can make anything. Your e-ring is so beautiful. Really anything you pair with it will look great.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 4:00:31 PM
Author: FireGoddess

My concern about the 3 sided band is that you would have diamonds rubbing against each other when worn with your ering. Wonder what his answer to that would be??

This is exactly what I would have listed as #1 under disadvantages...that would be far worse than spending the extra $500!! Unless he has some design concept to prevent this from happening, I would opt for 1 or 2 sided pave. If 2 sided, you could wear the blank side against the ering, and if wearing the wedding band alone, wear the blank side facing you so that from everyone else''s POV, it would look 3 sided.

FG- that is a great idea. Maybe he can concave the plain side that would be stacked to pervent rubbing the diamonds. The only bad thing is you could never wear the ring alone.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
You can''t beat the price so go for it!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have leon make a one sided band to match
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ginger! I love the pictures of the band you posted that is $625. I think it would look great with your e-ring.

I''m posting your e-ring on this thread so people can see it...

sideinside.JPG

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 4:10:28 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would have leon make a one sided band to match
1.gif
I agree! I personally wouldn''t wear a wedding band with your e-ring, but I understand you wanting one.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ginger, pm demalza, i know she ordered something from AER and wasn''t happy, sloppy workmansip. you have such a sunning e-ring i think a mass produced ring might not look good. you could always order one and see..

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock

The rubbing is definitely a concern, especially since Leon''s milgraining is so fine, I already worry that just from daily wear it is wearin down. The only thing is that kills me is that there is "ONLY" a $200 dollar difference bewteen the 3 sided and 1 sided and the crazy bargain hunter inside of me rebels at not taking more diamonds for the buck.

So the other thing I was thinking is that the pre-made band is sooooooo much cheaper, that I might be able to convince FI to squezze in another band, to be worn as a RHR, then maybe subbed for my wedding band when I didn''t want to wear my e-ring, since it is more substantial. I''ve been drooling over the design forever, and originally wanted it as my w-band, but it doesn''t match my e-ring, I don''t think. I found it at two diff companies. The first is www.estatediamondjewelry.com . Diamonds are H-I color, VS clarity and weigh approximately 0.70ct. Band is approximately 5mm wide. Price is $1400, but with a 10% re-stocking if I return, because my size is smaller than 5.

edjtwist1400.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
The other one is from www.antiqueengagementrings.com and again the issue with service. It has 54 round bead-set diamonds, 1.10 carats total, G color and VS2 clarity. The intertwining band is 5.8 mm wide, so is slightly thicker than the other one, and I like dainty. It''s also slightly more expensive at $1750 but there is no restocking fee if returned in 30 days.

aertwist1750coll.JPG

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 5:41:50 PM
Author: mrssalvo
ginger, pm demalza, i know she ordered something from AER and wasn''t happy, sloppy workmansip. you have such a sunning e-ring i think a mass produced ring might not look good. you could always order one and see..
Thanks for the tip mrssalvo! I will def pm her before i order anything from them.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Ginger,
I like the idea of the one sided band by Leon. My concern about the 3 sided band is that you would have diamonds rubbing against each other when worn with your ering. Wonder what his answer to that would be?? I love your ering btw, it''s fabulous.
30.gif

When the e-ring was being made, he did tell me that he prefers his rings to be worn alone because of the rubbing issue. WHen I called him about the band, he didn''t bring it up, and I forgot to ask. I bet his answer hasn''t changed, but its hard for me to let go of "only $200 more for threesided!!!" in my head, although I know I should.
5.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 4:00:31 PM

THe problem is I would want the option to wear it alone, so I would feel strange with two sided. I had considered this, but, something off about balance that would bug me I think.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those swooping premade bands you posted more than any option here. But would you be wearing that on the same finger as your ering, or on the other hand? I don''t know that they would look right stacked together?? They are my favorite though....I adore that style band.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 6:31:22 PM
I love those swooping premade bands you posted more than any option here. But would you be wearing that on the same finger as your ering, or on the other hand? I don''t know that they would look right stacked together?? They are my favorite though....I adore that style band.
SO that would be the question here. I would LOVE for it to be my wedding band, but it is soooo much thicker than my e-ring band, that i don''t know if it would look ok. So i was thinking of getting a thin matching band for my set, then this for a RHR. If I go with Leon, I would have to wait to get the swoopy band. If I go with the pre-made, I could afford the swoopy now. However, I don''t want to have a crappy quality ring as my wedding band, as I want to keep the one I receive on my wedding day forever, for sentimental reasons.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger, I really think with a custom designer e-ring like yours, nothing will look as good as a w-ring made by Leon. It''ll be worth it in the long run! Get the other ring for your first anniversary!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the same bargain hunter mentality and I would want the 3 sided too. That is a lot of $, but if you want it for the rest of your life, maybe its worth it to do it right the first time. Here''s a thought, and I''m not sure if this is even possible, but is there a way he could put something on the w-band (subtle) to keep a mm of space between it and the w-band? Again, I''m just thinking out loud here, but maybe a small bump of plat in 2-3 spots, maybe in the back? It would have to be subtle, but it would keep the bands from rubbing. Some people go with a plain 1mm plat band as a "spacer" in between which would also be an option, although that''s not my favorite look.

If it were me, I''d get the swoopy band, use it for the wedding, but then actually wear it as a RHR and wear the beautiful e-ring solo. In fact, I just saw a woman today with an AMAZING micropave e-ring (the coolest halo I''ve ever seen with crisscrossees of micropave on the sides) with huge rb diamond, who is married, who wears her e-ring solo with a really cool diamond band ring on her RH.

Now that was a run on.

Gail

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 3:43:05 PM
Author:gingerBcookie
I am trying to decide what I should do about my wedding band. Here's my e-ring thread:

Dillemma #1 SHould I get a 1 sided band since one side of each ring will be covered anyway? BUt then I may occ be wearing only my w-band, and I feel like I may want more impact. THe one sided should save me some money. Three-sided is gorgeous of course, but is it a waste of money?

My first thought was to have Leon custom make a matching wedding band. It would be full eternity. Price quotes were $2500 for one sided, $2700 for 3 sided.

23.gif

Ginger- I'm confused. When you say one sided - Do you mean the top and one side? Or just the top?

I think you should talk to Leon about wear issues. When I spoke to him about wearing rings together, just high polish sides, he was vehemently against it. He said I could only wear them together occasionally. Not sure if it's the same for 3 sided, bead set against bead set.

Scintillating...

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Get the three sided band from Leon, but only wear it together on your wedding day. Don''t cover up that BEAUTIFUL detail on your ring by wearing them together. I can understand how you want a band to wear alone...not all situations are appropriate for wearing such huge bling. If you get Leon''s ring, then it will have the same "look" as your ring, which would be great!

Wearing a band with your ring would be like getting a custom Vera Wang wedding gown but putting a jacket on over it!!!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
scintillating - 1 sided means top only with smooth platinum sides. i remeber leon being very against wearing any ring with his rings...maybe i''m in denial thinking i may get away with wearing a set? sigh...i''m going to call leon again before i make a final decision. it was just weird that he didn''t mention it when i asked him to make the matching band.

jelly - your vera wang analogy made me LOL...literally! I do feel that way too, my fave thing about the ring is looking at the profile. THat''s why I''m soooo torn! I would LOVE to have a set, I just like the thought of it for some reason, but I also don''t want to "waste" the profile or damage my e-ring in any way, shape, or form. I think i''m starting to lean towards wearing the rings on two seperate fingers.

20.gif
i thought after all the agony and craziness that went with choosing an e-ring, the w-band would be easy
20.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
So I was browsing throught the estatediamondjewelry.com page and stumbled on a lovely little policy. They will send me any piece from their stock for me to try on and play with for two weeks for a full refund (they hold my cc info) if i decide not to take it. So i''m going to order the swoopy ring to try both with my e-ring (with talks to leon about safety) and as a standalone band. If I go with stand alone...this opens the door for stacking...
31.gif
I think i''m starting to like this idea more and more....

36.gif
Very excited to have something sparkly coming in the mail to play with
36.gif
36.gif
I may take a page from MissGotRocks and chase down any and all FedEx deliverers between now the end of the week!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s great Ginger. Can''t wait to see what you think. Make sure you camera''s charged to give us some pictures
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i meant to chime in yesterday but i say talk to leon re: your existing ring and his suggestions but i would lean towards the 1 sided LM matching band, even though im sure price is a negative! but i figure if you are going to get a wedding ring just once, it should be the RIGHT one for long term.

oh and i thought i would wear my w-ring alone more often than i do, but i have only done that a handful of times, so in reality it was silly for me to think i would not wear my engagement ring too!! i feel naked without it.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 11:45:59 AM
Author: gingerBcookie
scintillating - 1 sided means top only with smooth platinum sides.

Ouch! that quote for a 1-sided eternity is more than my Leon setting cost. Ouch. ouch. ouch.
I'm going to start saving for my wedding band now.

And only $2700 for three sided, with all the extra stones and work? something doesn't make sense to me.

Scintillating...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 12:58:18 AM
Author: Scintillating
Date: 2/7/2006 11:45:59 AM

Author: gingerBcookie

scintillating - 1 sided means top only with smooth platinum sides.

Ouch! that quote for a 1-sided eternity is more than my Leon setting cost. Ouch. ouch. ouch.

I''m going to start saving for my wedding band now.

And only $2700 for three sided, with all the extra stones and work? something doesn''t make sense to me.

Scintillating...

I agree. It doesn''t seem right.

kaya

Rough_Rock
ginger - I have a 3 sided matching wedding band that goes with my e-ring and they don''t rub together like you think or are afraid they they might. They do sit flush together though. In fact, if asked the Michael B people will say that they are meant to be worn together. It is what I do everyday and have not noticed any wear or tear on them. I have very rarely worn my wedding band alone with the e-ring on the other finger, but it can be done and it looks nice because you can see the pave work on all sides, but to each their own.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 3:28:11 AM
Author: kaya
ginger - I have a 3 sided matching wedding band that goes with my e-ring and they don''t rub together like you think or are afraid they they might. They do sit flush together though. In fact, if asked the Michael B people will say that they are meant to be worn together. It is what I do everyday and have not noticed any wear or tear on them. I have very rarely worn my wedding band alone with the e-ring on the other finger, but it can be done and it looks nice because you can see the pave work on all sides, but to each their own.

Kala, I have heard that Michael b designs his 3-sided rings so the diamonds do not touch, there is a tiny bit of extra metal or something. It''s in an old thread around here, I''ll see if i can hunt it down. In my conversations with Leon he made it clear he is against wedding bands, he likes his rings to stand alone. It''s one of the big reason''s I decided not to go with him at the time.

kaya

Rough_Rock
Upon inspection of my rings, I guess you can say the diamonds don''t touch, but who is to know for sure. I have this metal work between the diamonds that you can''t really see but you can feel if you run your fingers over the setting. Maybe that is what you are talkling about. :)

I guess if Ginger is worried about damage, I''d go with a matching one sided, (if you can afford it), and if that is what the designer says its not meant to be worn together. From personal experience, I have rarely, maybe an hour here or there worn my rings seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results