shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do about HR harassment??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I posted last week about leaving my company and owing them $$ for tuition that they paid for me in the last year. I told them last week that I would pay in full before I left the company. (I wanted to wait 30 days until my signing bonus from the new job came through so I didn''t have to take out a loan. My company said that was not acceptable, so I got a loan and the money will be available tomorrow.)

Today the HR representative for my group really crossed the line in my opinion. She was demanding that I give my 2 weeks notice in writing today (I''m leaving in 4 weeks) and that I pay the debt 10 days before my last day of employment. She said if I didn''t agree to these terms in writing via e-mail then she would stop my pay and even threatened to delay my employment with the new agency (I''m assuming by witholding security information).

I''m feeling very threatened and honestly, I have lost all trust for her AND my boss (who has been involved in this on the sidelines as well). If I was dealing with someone else, I would be happy to write the check tomorrow. I''m just afraid that I''ll write the check to pay in full and she will still stop my pay or something like that.

I have no idea how things got so elevated! (I did not mention to them the fact that I know of other people who have left the company and never repaid for tuition owed. I was considering this last week to try to buy myself the 30 days, but decided against it and I have been trying to play by their "rules" to leave on good terms. But every time I give an inch they try to take a mile.)

What would you do in this situation?

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
If you are in a situation where you feel you are being treated unfairly it can be a good idea to document everything. Sending Luck.

Mrs.2Artists

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Ask to see a copy of the policy on tuition repayment. I can''t speak for your particular company but I work for the world''s largest aerospace company and I would only be required to repay tuition if I did not receive a passing grade. If they paid ahead for a semester and I left prior to completing the course I would have to repay on the last day of employment, period (ditto with any 401K loans). No early repayment.

They must have a written policy somewhere? If they are just winging it, then I call B.S. on them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
two weeks notice is... two weeks notice...not 4...I dont know about the debt and when you are expected to pay it but to be told that your pay will be held and that she will interfear with your new job is Hasassment and i woul contact herboss and file a complaint and also check with your states labor commission and talk to them...i would do nothing until you find out your rights...dont let these people push you around...make sure you get a witness for all conversations from now on and document everything word for word...dont sign anything with out understanding it and dont be bullied.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
DITTO to purrfectpear, i also work for an aerospace and defense company and we also have a tuition reimbursement policy that specifically states repayement, etc...if they don''t have one, keep looking because no company would provide you with money without a strict policy in place

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I think this site will definitely help you. http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide// If you know you are following all policy procedures make a formal complaint to your state labor commission. They have to follow specific procedure in regard to wage garnishment (Info on that site).

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I work for a local government agency and we too have a tuition reimbursement policy. In the policy it clearly states how much, if any, tuition needs to be repaid to the company if you separate employment from them. It's a graduated percentage that decreases as the years pass. Hopefully your employer provided you with some sort of employee handbook that would outline situations like this.

I would document everything, save all emails and correspondence etc, document all conversations as well so that you have all your ducks in a row should you need to use them. If what they're asking seems extremely unreasonable, it probably is.

Good luck!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
ncrlgirl- Are you in the U.S.? Because if you are, your boss can't do that. She can't demand that you write out a two weeks notice if you have provided her a 4 week notice. She can fire you....which would be bad, but she can't demand that you change your notice.

Did you provide a written 4-week notice? If not, do it now. If so, then don't sweat it. She is being histrionic. They can accept your resignation and release you, but they would still have to pay you through the time of your written resignation. She is just peeved that she essentially has to pay you for what she perceives will be your "short timer attitude" and give you enough money to pay the tuition back. She is being a controlling, demon bully boss. It happens. They exist. I can't stand them.

She won't fire you, because if she fires you, you won't have to pay the tuition back. That is standard in almost any tuition assistance program. Unless it is "for cause", and firing because someone gave notice isn't under the defination of "for cause". Please give written notice immediately which clearly states what your last worked date will be, in the event you haven't done so already. And then if your boss tries to get you to sign one sooner, tell her you already gave your notice. It's a done deal. She can't force you to provide another notice. She is playing on your ignorance. Don't buy it. She knows she can't fire you before the long notice period or she can't get the tuition assistance out of you. Ahahahahaha, I love it when demon bosses become unglued.
31.gif

If you aren't in the U.S., oh well, I can't help you. But I would imagine it would be close to the same thing. Ooooooooh, I love to get under the skin of demon bosses. I work in H.R. and trust me, I see this all the time...bully demon bosses. I just try to protect the company from the financial impact of their unlawful behavior.
20.gif

And it is even more fun for me, when they are in HR!!!!
35.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
^^^Ha your post made me laugh. I went through a few years of crap with a past employer. They just could not get me out of there.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results