shape
carat
color
clarity

What things do you miss from the Past?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of these things! Riding my bike with friends all day and stopping at someone’s house to grab a popsicle or Hi-C. Catching fireflies at night and then releasing them. Making up elaborate make believe adventures with all the neighborhood kids….lazy days on our boat at the lake that didn’t have to be planned because we weren’t “scheduled with activities” all the time. The ability to do stupid things as a teenager and not have it posted online to follow you forever. Loyalty between employers/employees. So many things that I miss…..

+ a billion. Eating fresh veggies/fruit out of the garden. Playing "kick the can on long warm summer nights. 10 cent slurpees.

hardwear

Rough_Rock
Miss many things, mostly simple moments, experiences, things, places...etc...
Customer Service- I am almost shocked when I do receive good customer service.
Simplicity of playing outside all day, being allowed to get a treat from the ice cream truck. Going to watch the fireworks, carnivals, parades-without any adults. Learning to make friends, and growing up in cities- opportunity to make friends of different backgrounds, cultures, etc.. and becoming street savvy.
*I agree about the endless driving around for after school or weekend activities. Family do not get to spend time together, eat together, and some of families don't take vacation because certain sports and/or activities take up the summer! One family we know put in a pool because they were so inundated with 3 kids activities, that it makes sense you know to put in a pool and not go away, this way the kids always have downtime in the backyard. Huh?!
People in such a rush to raise the "well rounded child" that one big thing we are noticing is socially they are not well rounded and many are struggling when they go away to college. SORRY- rant over.
Reading the Sunday comics and Parade ( star-ledger readers ). Reading the paper-lol!
Writing letters/ cards
Talking on the phone
Being neighborly
Politeness
I am sure there are many that I am missing....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too miss my parents and grandparents. I miss the days that included them in my life. Youth takes so much for granted and yet wisdom comes with age. I watch my grandchildren grow and constantly remind myself to soak it all in because what is today won’t be tomorrow!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
I miss my Nana & Papa and my Mom.
Playing outside all day until the street lights came on.
All the kids gathering at our friend’s house to swim all day and well into the summer nights.
Family gatherings with stories, laughter and lots of hugs from those that love you the most.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is area specific but I miss the oldies station on the radio, Big D103 (102.9FM). I grew up listening to it and then a few years ago they were bought out by another station.

So now there is no oldies station on FM radio here.

we listen to this station at work that plays 60's through to mid 90's with a good mix of genre includng a touch of country, even a bit of metal !
it gets the mix really right
just a few 90's and some older 50's -60's pre Beatles
its like i know every song (well i had to learn some Frank Sanatra)
my youngest work mate who is in her 30's hates it but the rest of us (70's through to me, 51) love it
some days its like being in high school
they even play Bruce Springsteen which makes my day any day !

i have not enjoyed the radio this much for about 20 years

i have been informed this is a golden oldies station which got my back up !:angryfire::x2

note it is sunday morning here which might be a little different to through the week
plus no adds till noon !

edited to add @YadaYadaYada we ddint even have FM in my day
FM was for the taxis
so the music sounds so much better today
plus our owner/boss/baker just got us a really good blue tooth speaker - i mean good music and air con -what more does one need =)2

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More things come to mind.

I miss the NYC of my childhood and teen years--the freedom of cutting class to roam around Manhattan without a cell phone. I miss the store Love Saves the Day on Second Ave, as I would inevitably end up in the East Village.

There was more grit. Street fairs didn't have the same five stands repeating over and over for blocks. There was more uniqueness in the vendors. I also miss the absence of bots purchasing every single item/ticket for resale.

And people being present in the moment, not watching their lives through a screen. You don't need to record everything to prove your existence.

I feel this completely. I grew up on Long Island but used to "cut" school and take the bus/subway into the city for so much fun. No phones, nothing. We would buy a $4 "fun pass" and fun we would have! I learned how to handle myself and NY at large that way. FWIW I do take my own kids into the city on public transit from a young age. I also still have all of my piercings I got in "the village"! Minus the tongue ring, I did give that up when I was student teaching, although working for the DOE now for the last 14+ years I didn't have to!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I feel this completely. I grew up on Long Island but used to "cut" school and take the bus/subway into the city for so much fun. No phones, nothing. We would buy a $4 "fun pass" and fun we would have! I learned how to handle myself and NY at large that way. FWIW I do take my own kids into the city on public transit from a young age. I also still have all of my piercings I got in "the village"! Minus the tongue ring, I did give that up when I was student teaching, although working for the DOE now for the last 14+ years I didn't have to!

The fun passes!!! Yes. I'd get those on the weekends. On weekdays I used my school card or just hopped it. And I only have my belly piercing left. :P2

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have enjoyed reading the posts. For me I loved the 70's. The world changed then. Civil Rights, the sexual revolution, the Equal Rights Amendment , long shirts, short skirts, dinner parties where women dressed in long skirts and men dressed in jeans. Things were more fluid and trying to become better than what was.
Everyone laughed more. My uncle and father used to recount their childhood and used to laugh so hard together, it was wonderful. (my mother used to roll her eyes telling me she'd heard these stories so often), They loved re-telling them.
I love knowing that some of you skipped school (as I did) occasionally and were adventurers of the big city.. What fun! My friend and I spent one summer doing that. We made a list We wanted to attend a communist cell block meeting., go to night court, see the bowery . My friends dad wouldn't allow us to attend the cell block meeting, so we didn't. Good thing!
I like large screen televisions, banking on line and sometimes buying some things via on line. But, talking on the phone, hearing a familiar voice and laughter does beat new technology. I also want newspapers back. I enjoyed them.

Lets have a bit more silliness on here. Lets be young again!

Annette

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'm talker not a texter . Many of my friends want to chat--and dislike texting. LOL My Mom next had a cell or computer so we chatted almost daily. Total score!

cheers--Sharon

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hours and hours at the shooting range with my Dad and brother.
Hours shooting pellet guns in the back yard.
Hours and hours fishing with my childhood best friend.
Weeks camping out in the woods.
Hours swimming in rivers and lakes and ponds.
Snow forts and snowball wars.
Cooking with my mom.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hours and hours at the shooting range with my Dad and brother.
Hours shooting pellet guns in the back yard.
Hours and hours fishing with my childhood best friend.
Weeks camping out in the woods.
Hours swimming in rivers and lakes and ponds.
Snow forts and snowball wars.
Cooking with my mom.

duck itch ?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Practically everything!
Seriously!

I literally grieve the dramatic degradation of my culture, my society and my country.
I find myself escaping, into films/music/ect. created decades ago.
I have no tolerance, let alone taste, for most media/films/styles/ideas/music created recently.

Maybe that's always been usual for people in their "declining years", as I've heard it put. LOL
IMO the best time for an American to have lived was about 1890 to 1962.

To me the assassination of JFK was the beginning of the decline of the USA, though on second thought perhaps it was McCarthyism and adding "In God We Trust" to our currency. :nono:

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many to mention.

However, one thing springs to mind - a compatible travelling companion, and I have not found another one since my late partner's death in 2008.

DK :confused2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling safe wherever I went, especially traveling away from home, good TV shows (wonder woman, 6 million dollar man, Gilligan's Island, Elvis movies, regular cartoons) the TV shows now are so violent and just not wholesome like they used to be.
Prices

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
my waistline
getting dressed up in the winter and being comfortable in a wool skirt, sweater, and overcoat. i'd die of heatstroke if i tried that now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results