shape
carat
color
clarity

What the heck is this?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got this unknown stone today. I bought it as a tourmaline (blue/green). I popped it into the refractometer and it has an RI of 1.54. That of course isnt tourmaline, but quartz or iolite. It doesnt look like a quartz to me, or an iolite. Never seen a either this color. It has a BF of .08-.09 (its inbetween, my refractometer doesnt give smaller then .00.

I am confused as of what it is. It is a green color, but gives neon blue flashes, and in sunlight it looks blue with neon blue flashes. No inclusions in it.

Someone out there has to have an idea!

This pic is in natural light.

Unknown8876.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Indoor lighting

UNKNOWN11231.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you get all of your stones off of ebay?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its booty. You can see the neon flash I see in this one.

unknown99877.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, not all of my stones. This on is an ebay stone though. Alot of them I have bought at shows, different websites, or locally. I was looking for a tourmaline, and saw this one. Wish it came back as tourmaline though :(. I wanna know what it is! Good chance I will be sending it back.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quartz. Highly unlikely to be Iolite. I've got a Quartz that colour.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That was my guess to but I have never seen a quatrz this color. I am sure its possable though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s probably coated or enhanced in color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 2:23:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s probably coated or enhanced in color.
Yep. My Quartz is!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Flabour of the day hydro thermal quartz? Those come in all colour.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im stickin'' with tanzanite man, LOL. I havnt had a problem with fakes till I bought other types of stones. I know tanzanite...these tourmalines are exausting.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/27/2009 2:20:23 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
That was my guess to but I have never seen a quatrz this color. I am sure its possable though!

Natural quartz doesn''t occur in that color. There''s a strong liklihood it''s lab-grown hydrothermal quartz. EBay is loaded with the stuff in a wide range of colors and it''s being fraudulently sold as several natural gems.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer, but at least you tested it within the return period.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I I test every stone I get from ANYWHERE the day I buy it. Believe it or not, I have recieved more fake stones from local sources then I have on ebay. Oh well. I got some absolutely amazing paridot emerald cuts today too (5 1ct stones), so that makes me happy again.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Contacted the seller and he is refunding me and said to keep the stone. So it worked out well.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen coated quartz that color too. Extremly good clarity is also an indication that your stone might not be tourmaline - they''re rarely too clear, and even if they''re eye clean, you can see inclusions under magnification.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 3:15:03 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
Im stickin' with tanzanite man, LOL. I havnt had a problem with fakes till I bought other types of stones. I know tanzanite...these tourmalines are exausting.
Iolite is commonly passed off as tanzanite all over ebay. Iolite is much less expensive and has a strong grey axis, which mutes the color.

Paraiba color quartz and coated topaz are also passed off as paraiba all over ebay. So be very leary of that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results