carat
color
clarity

what size yellow diamonds for a halo around a 12x9 dark opal

the_universe

Rough_Rock
Re: what size yellow diamonds for a halo around a 12x9 dark

Stephny691|1411120717|3753625 said:
But we ARE saying JUST ASK HER WHAT SHE WANTS.

why do so many people assume I havent already talked to her about this long before I ever posted on this forum? I have already talked to her about what she wants ages ago

the_universe

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1411116656|3753612 said:
She asked for a white diamond halo. Nut up and get her what she wants. You don't know what she likes better than she does. To assume you know better is arrogant.

So stop it and get a white diamond halo the way SHE FREAKING ASKED YOU TO.

what are you talking about? you are making this up. she actually doesnt like white diamonds.

Gypsy|1411116656|3753612 said:
Our advice on yellow diamond size: 0.0mm.

No yellow diamonds. It's frankly ugly and will make her ring into her worst nightmare.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have to humbly disagree with your opinion.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

luvsdmb|1411150834|3753863 said:
Ever since I was little I've heard Opals are bad luck unless it's your birthstone. Good luck!

I like the more philosophical definition of luck over the superstitious one.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

― Seneca

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

the_universe|1409726134|3743898 said:
momhappy|1409701887|3743699 said:
No advice on the sizing, but I'm curious as to why you chose yellow diamonds to pair with that particular stone?

1) white diamonds look great on platinum/white gold because the color of the metal matches the diamonds.

2) I think yellow gold is more classic looking and people forget how high end it can look.

3) yellow diamonds match yellow gold which I think look great. I think yellow gold + white diamonds + dark opal would be too much going on because the opal has so much fire in it and color play in the first place. since yellow diamonds match yellow gold its not as distracting and doesnt fight the opal but still adds some bling. The opal also has yellows in it that match the yellow diamonds (cant really tell from pic).

4) my girl has very tan skin so she looks much better in yellow gold than white gold/platinum.
Does your girlfriend want a yellow diamond halo around her opal for her engagement ring? Because the above makes it sound like it's what you want. You have said that she wants the opal. That she wants yellow gold. That she wants a halo. But ALLLLL of the above makes it sound like yellow diamonds are your idea. "She doesn't like white diamonds." does not mean that she doesn't want a halo of them. I don't love white diamonds, but that doesn't mean I want a yellow diamond halo.

I have a colored stone engagement ring. It's a spinel. My husband, back before we were engaged, knew that I didn't want a diamond engagement ring and probably would have said, "She doesn't like white diamonds." too. Because I didn't want a white diamond engagement ring. The difference is, he also knew that I didn't want a yellow halo around my ring.

So, if you give her this ring, and she doesn't want a yellow diamond halo, either she bends to your will or you made a very costly mistake and are out whatever it's costing you to make this ring and remake it the way she wants. Your choice!

*The above does not constitute as relationship advice. The above constitutes as jewelry design advice and common sense. As someone who is very particular about jewelry (as are most of the people here) and have been down this road with other over-enthusiastic fiances-to-be we are trying to save you problems down the road.

Here, lets practice: "So, for your opal engagement ring, you said you want a halo, but do you want white diamonds, yellow diamonds, or maybe even Argyle pink diamonds?"

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not to be rude, but I think yall should back off. You've given your advice/opinions/comments, and he still wants to go with this. If it fails miserably, it is not your problem. If this isn't what she wants, you do not have to worry about it. Bashing his decision any further won't help, this is what he wants, and maybe she will absolutely love it. I think he's gotten some really good advice personally, but there is no need to decend into rudeness.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

While my Mothers ER was not an Opal, I can tell you she has worn a HUGE opal ring since the 1980's; it is set in yellow gold surrounded with rubies and diamonds. It is the most admired ring of any piece she owns and I'd love to inherit it one day. In short, it has held up to daily wear.

Is it in perfect condition? No, but very good condition.

Get what you want and rock it. That is what insurance is for.

PS here is some gorgeous eye candy, courtesy of our sweet forum member, Missy. If I had this baby, I'd wear it nonstop!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-cartier-jewels-rings-watches.197983/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-cartier-jewels-rings-watches.197983/[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock

the_universe|1411153610|3753899 said:
Stephny691|1411120717|3753625 said:
But we ARE saying JUST ASK HER WHAT SHE WANTS.

why do so many people assume I havent already talked to her about this long before I ever posted on this forum? I have already talked to her about what she wants ages ago

Then if you've asked her, she's seen the CADs and has said what size melee she wants in the halo right?
Melee size really is a matter of preference and it is a better decision coming from her than from us- that's what we're (or at least I'm trying to say).
If you're going to go for the yellow halo, then from the CADs I think the smaller ones look nicer. I think they'll emphasize the flashes of light/fire coming from the opal. Whereas the slightly bigger ones look a little clunky.
Out of interest (because I am interested to see how this turns out, I don't remember seeing something like this lately), have you made a decision on the halo?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd go for a 2- or 3-sided micro pave look, something like this leon mege moonstone ring:

moonstone_0.jpg

By the way, Leon Mege's website (he's a PS featured sponsor, under the resources tab) shows a lot of halos using different sizes of melee stones.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

the pictures do not do it justice; it looks a lot cleaner and less bulky in real life. Since diamonds refract light and black opals diffuse light, any head on shots with the sun confused my camera and I couldnt get a good shot. So the sharper pics are not under ideal lighting conditions. The last 2 pics were an attempt to get a more head on pic, and while its good to get an idea of the colors, it got blurrier and blurrier.

dream_time_1.jpg
dream_time_2.jpg
dream_time_3.jpg
dream_time_4.jpg
dream_time_5.jpg

I know everyone has their own taste but personally I think the ring looks stunning and reminds me of dream time. The yellow diamond halo on the yellow gold crackles with power and doesnt overwhelm the center stone at all. Even though its done with colored stones, its a very classic elegant simple design so its done well. It has a lot of finger coverage which makes it look more impressive. The band was kept simple and clean so the piece doesnt get too gaudy while also making the halo and center stone look more important and youthful. The colors in the center stone moves, rolls, and looks at you from all angles and smolders with fire and sensuality.

this is the final CAD that got used. the slightly raised halo is so other rings can be easily stacked:
e-ring_cad.jpg

overall I had a great time flexing my creativity and passion for beautiful things on this project to create something truly unique and special that matches the personality of the woman I love.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow congrats. So cool!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

No confusion--it's stunning! Come back with hand pictures!

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats, I'm sure the reds and blues and greens must pop or contrast really nicely with the yellow!!!! I hope she loves it.

Solid good quality Aussie opals are polished with machines that use water, originate from places with excessively hot and dry climates and to my knowledge provided they aren't filled with inclusions/cracks that are going to open up and become worse or made with pasted layers or have foil or felt backs in the settings (as many of them do have) can be put into an Ultrasonic. Do however be careful what types of chemicals it goes near some can corrode opal more easily than other gemstones.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's stunning! Congratulations! And good thinking, raising the platform so it can accommodate a wedding band (or other eternity rings on down the line :Up_to_something: )!

Thanks for coming back to show us the finished product. You might want to start a thread in the Show Me the Bling forum... :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks better than I thought it would. I hope your lady loves it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you can get it, I'd really appreciate a straight-on shot.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing result! The colors of the oval pop!!
Please come back with a lot of (hand)pics.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

**edited by moderator. Sorry, no personal videos for everyone's security**
This is for the members who were genuinely interested and curious about my wife's engagement ring that I made for her; better late than never I suppose.

At first I was a bit hesitant to post a video because opals are notoriously hard to take pictures of (since they diffuse light). When they sit next to diamonds (or gemstones that refract light) its even harder to do it justice. This video doesnt really do the ring justice either.

The colors are a lot more saturated in real life and the body tone of the stone is actually very dark grey ("black"). You can get a better idea of the colors when I pull the ring away from the lens toward the middle/end of the video but then the ring is a bit out of focus (opals are a pain to video/photograph). You'll notice when the ring is far from the camera lens that the body tone of the opal appears a lot darker and colors in the opal look a lot more saturated. Also the yellow diamonds look a lot more saturated in color as well. I spent so much time with the lens up close so you can see the play of color (notice how the colors constantly move and swirl).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for posting the video, I love this ring, I am sorry so many people attached your choice, I'm an Aussie (a guy that used to work for my husband owns his own small opal mine in Lightening Ridge) and I think it's amazing. Congrats.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

arkieb1|1434957175|3892522 said:
Thank you for posting the video, I love this ring, I am sorry so many people attached your choice, I'm an Aussie (a guy that used to work for my husband owns his own small opal mine in Lightening Ridge) and I think it's amazing. Congrats.

thank you.

Also concerning some of the negative comments in this thread, they actually helped me out. It made me give a final consideration whether I was doing the right thing or not before I pulled the trigger; which is good considering its a good chunk of change at stake. So when I finally decided to do it, I was sure more than ever that it would look great (given my jeweler's ability to execute it properly). At the end of the day their original intent was to prevent me from making a mistake. So even though on the surface it appears "insulting"/"rude"/whatever... it was grounded in good intentions.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

People here try their best to guide new members who are unsure in what they consider safe directions and safe choices that is all, we see a lot of young men who have no real clue what their ladies really want as well. I am sure there was never any bad intent behind any comments, only members wanting to help. I really hope she loves and enjoys her ring!!!

the_universe

Rough_Rock

aprilzephyr|1435035917|3892949 said:
the_universe, your black opal eRing turned out beautifully! :clap: Your opal's play of colour is phenomenal, and the yellow diamond halo really highlights its flashes of yellow. Many congratulations! I'd love to see hand photos as well! :)

ETA* I found your youtube video from your instructions in SMTR thread!

thanks! your opal ring is very beautiful as well. I typically like simpler looking settings than the one you have. However, yours looks very clean and not overly done at all. Very nice indeed.

I too have a thing for crystal opals. They tend to have more extreme color play which imo gives it that "wow effect."

I looked up the video to your ring from the seller. Very nice indeed. I too got mine from Justin. He was very accommodating and he does an extremely good job demystifying all the misconceptions about australian opal on his video blogs. Hes also readily available on Skype. I have nothing but good things to say about Justin.

In fact, I couldnt make up my mind between 2 stones and he did a custom side by side video for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnw60CDZ2Hc&feature=youtu.be

It would be great if the mods can talk to whomever they need to and see if they can start allowing videos. In this day and age we can google anything and watch videos on anything. Videos should be showcased, they shouldnt be sensored. If videos are showcased then if there is any "shady" things going on the video creator/linker will be called out and his/her reputation ruined. it will police itself. The whole point of a forum is for open and honest discussion and videos are a huge part of that. Smashing out videos isnt preventing any scamming. If anything its increasing "scamming" because no one can be warned or called out.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

the_universe|1435069781|3893037 said:
aprilzephyr|1435035917|3892949 said:
the_universe, your black opal eRing turned out beautifully! :clap: Your opal's play of colour is phenomenal, and the yellow diamond halo really highlights its flashes of yellow. Many congratulations! I'd love to see hand photos as well! :)

ETA* I found your youtube video from your instructions in SMTR thread!

thanks! your opal ring is very beautiful as well. I typically like simpler looking settings than the one you have. However, yours looks very clean and not overly done at all. Very nice indeed.

I too have a thing for crystal opals. They tend to have more extreme color play which imo gives it that "wow effect."

I looked up the video to your ring from the seller. Very nice indeed. I too got mine from Justin. He was very accommodating and he does an extremely good job demystifying all the misconceptions about australian opal on his video blogs. Hes also readily available on Skype. I have nothing but good things to say about Justin.

In fact, I couldnt make up my mind between 2 stones and he did a custom side by side video for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnw60CDZ2Hc&feature=youtu.be

It would be great if the mods can talk to whomever they need to and see if they can start allowing videos. In this day and age we can google anything and watch videos on anything. Videos should be showcased, they shouldnt be sensored. If videos are showcased then if there is any "shady" things going on the video creator/linker will be called out and his/her reputation ruined. it will police itself. The whole point of a forum is for open and honest discussion and videos are a huge part of that. Smashing out videos isnt preventing any scamming. If anything its increasing "scamming" because no one can be warned or called out.

The reason we do not allow personally hosted videos is for security. Same reason we do not allow people to post their facebook profiles, or other identifying information on Pricescope. Speaking about how you own thousands of dollars of jewelry then posting a personal link can easily lead someone to your front door.

We are still working on a way to host videos on PS, but have not yet made it there.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

It's an interesting ring, but not my style/taste. All that matters though is that the two of you are happy, so enjoy your new ring. I know that you put a lot of thought and effort into it, so kudos to you for that =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results