shape
carat
color
clarity

What size sidestones for 1.56ct ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VVS1

Rough_Rock
Hi

New to this, but wondering what size round sidestones to go with 1.56 center round stone?

Also what about clarity, I will stay with same color and cut?

Thanks

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
For lots of beautiful examples, go to "show me the ring" eye candy folder at the top of that page, and look at the posts!!!! That will give you some good ideas!!!!
emteeth.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it really depends on you and the look you are going for.

I didn''t want my sidestones to upstage my center stone, so I went with .30 for 1.24 center.....and I honestly could have gone to .25 happily.

Some others like the stones to look more even (like an anniversary ring) and select sides that are half the weight of the center.....in your case, .75.

It really depends on what look you want.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Val posted this sometime last year and I thought it was very valuable, so here it is for you....

As Al noted, it's a personal preference, but this chart helps you visualize different ratios so that you can figure out which you like the best and calculate your side stones accordingly.

Myself personally I prefer just slightly under that 1/2...so for a 1.56 I would choose sides that were more along the lines of .65c each to still give that center stone the boom it deserves. For example my favorite image below is the .66c side stones.

three stone side comparisons.jpeg

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 6:26:16 PM
Author: Mara
Myself personally I prefer just slightly under that 1/2...so for a 1.56 I would choose sides that were more along the lines of .65c each to still give that center stone the boom it deserves. For example my favorite image below is the .66c side stones.
Me too. I matched a 1.36 with .60 sides and considered going as big as .75.

VVS1

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replys. They will definetly help.

VVS1

Rough_Rock
Mara

Thanks again for the information. I was just wondering. Should I insist on certified diamonds (with certificates) for the sidestones and what are people''s thoughts on the clarity of the sidestones. My center stone is G VS1 ideal cut.

Thanks for all the help. These forums are a lifesaver.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely get certified diamonds when you are talking about anything over .20c or .25c...where the cut is going to be really visible in terms of quality as well as color/clarity, and you''d want to be able to quantify and confirm that with the cert and numbers.

If your center stone is a G VS...try to match the color with the side stones, you probably have more leeway on the clarity, aka if one stone is a G SI and the other is a G VS...if the SI is eye-clean, no one will know the difference so you may be able to save money.

I think that not matching color in side stones can be tricky, some people''s eyes are better/worse than others, so that really is a personal opinion but I would try to match the stones with color (assuming all three are certed by a rep lab like GIA or AGS where you can believe what they say about color), and also get independent appraisals to confirm everything checks out.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results