shape
carat
color
clarity

What size of stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
I''m woman with expensive taste on a budget.
40.gif
(bad combo) I''m not sure if I should go for a bigger stone and less quality or a smaller, better quality? I''m guessing to keep this ring in proportion I will need at least a 0.75, and could go as big as a 1.0. What do you, the all knowing pricescopers'' think?

Thanks again!

Stephanie

1189.jpg

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
Hey where is everyone?
7.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your name Stephanie? Just a guess...I think the issue is a balance...my cousin is a jeweler and thinks it is silly to think you have to have d/if...unattainable for most budgets if you want size. of course you do not want a yuck stone either, bu tyou need to ask a trusted jeweler to find a range in your budget, with a sliding scale of bigger/lower clarity etc and smaller/higher clarity etc...I do not know if this helps. but you must see them before you can decide. I think it called champagne taste on a beer budget!!!!

s95

Shiny_Rock
It might help to know what your budget is. I know that when I chose my upgrade stone, I definitely wanted to go lower on the color and higher on the cut and carat weight. By letting go of past color issues, I was able to get a bigger stone than I had originally even thought possible (and it''s beautiful, too!!)
9.gif
I also went down on the clarity which I am so glad I did. The stone I have is an H VS2, totally eye-clean and sparkly and bright. It''s gorgeous.

anika

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
If you want a sparkly stone; cut is a priority so I would not sacrifice this. By this I don''t mean go for a branded but but a well cut stone. I myself have gone down in clarity; a good SI2 is better value for money and noone''s going to hold a loupe to your hand. In terms of colour; lots of people go down in colour to get bigger stones. It depends how colour sensitive you are and your preferences.
Also I think there are price jumps at 1ct plus etc so if you can get stones just under the sizes where the price/carat goes up, then that is also good.
It pays to get a jeweller to show you a range of stones in colour and size to get an idea of what attracts you. Try and look in different lights if you can as those jewellers lights make everything look good.
If you are on a budget, you may want to consider a couple of things:
- spend max $ on the stone now and less on the setting; later down the track you can get a more $ setting
-maybe check for an upgrade policy so can stick to budget now??
Just my 2c.
Cheers
1.gif

anika

Shiny_Rock
Silly me; didn''t register that the design you posted is the ring you want. Duh!
If its got a halo; it will look pretty big anyway. I think there is a thread with halo designs that could give you an idea of size?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What about a balance between the two. CUT is vital do not let that one drop. However there are great stones in every size for every budget. Post a price range and people will post links to stones that would look very spiffy in your setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results