shape
carat
color
clarity

What size melee for 3mm wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,

I went and tried on wedding bands in all different widths. We decided that a 3mm band looked the best on my finger. We will be looking into ordering a channel set band from either Signed Pieces or WF . . . the band we tried on locally had 12 diamonds in it and they told me the tcw was 0.64 carats in the 3mm band. A quote from Signed Pieces said a 3mm band with 11 diamonds would be a tcw of 0.3.

I am confused, how can 2 bands, the same width, one with 11 diamonds and one with 12 diamonds have such a huge difference in total carat weight? Is it even possible to have a 3mm band channel set contain melee in 6 pointers or would 6 pointers be wider than 3mm? Is my confusion valid?

My fiance wants to buy the one we saw locally because we can see it in person but the quote from Signed Pieces was more budget friendly. What so you think?

My fiance is supposed to call WF in the next few days so we''ll see where their tcw and price fall.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hikerchick,
According to my cheat list, here's the melee sizing:
0.05 ct = 2.4 mm
0.07 ct = 2.7 mm
0.10 ct = 3.0 mm
The difference in width could well be the thickness of the channel setting. That would be my guess. So maybe one has 0.05ct melees with a thicker channel while the other has 0.1ct melees with very thin channel.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono. That sounds like it might be the case.

So, on a different note, those of you that have or have seen diamond wedding bands of 3mm width, would you say 3 pointers, 4 pointers or 5 pointers would look the best and Why?

Thank you anyone that can provide any opinions or input.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, the less metal, the better the band looks. The other thing to consider is also the proportion to your engagement ring diamond. Smaller melees will not upstage the e-ring diamond, but that is also dependent upon individual tastes.

Chris Mead

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I would prefer to have at least 1/2mm of metal either side of the stones for strength.

That leaves 2mm for stone diameter - 0.03ct maybe 0.035ct at 2.1mm.

I expect you will wear the ring everyday so, too thin channel walls will be limiting it`s lifespan abit more....

Also an odd number of stones will give leave a stone central in the row rather than a gap oo!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results