shape
carat
color
clarity

What size eternity ring with 2mm wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hello, everyone, I am new to this forum. Holy cow! My head is spinning from all this info! :)

I am thinking of getting a shared prong eternity diamond ring in lieu of an engagement ring (long story for another post).
I have short-ish fingers, size 5, and I currently wear my 2mm comfort fit plain platinum band daily.

So, my questions:
1. Do any of you wear just a simple plain band and an eternity band together and nothing else (if so, pics, pls!)? Would it look weird?
2. What are the "rules"? Should the width of my eternity band be the same as the 2mm platinum band to look esthetically pleasing?
3. If the answer to #2 is a "yes", then would it be too dainty on it''s own? (I am basically wavering between a 2mm and a 3mm)
4. I am also thinking of getting a thin diamond and pink sapphire eternity band to wear either on the right hand alone or on the left hand. If it was shared prong setting, would it look ok stacked in this way: diamond eternity, plain, diamond/pink sapphire eternity.

Maybe I just watched too many glittery threads on this forum! Ideas, please!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an answer to your question. I just wanted to say CUTE NAME for such a forum!!

Welcome to Pricescope!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of an eternity band with a plain wedding band. That''s what I wear around the house. I add my solitaire if I''m going out. Now, my case is different, because I bought a tiny 1.5mm eternity band (.50ctw) as a temporary fill in. It is very thin. I would have preferred 1.0 ctw+, but I''m doing a total reset next year and won''t be using the eternity ring on my ring finger after that. You do need to be fairly certain that your ring size will not change if you''re considering an eternity ring. The 1.5mm is too dainty for me, but 2-3mm would be lovely IMO. My WB is 2 mm.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
your post made me try on my new platinum eternity band (1.56ctw, 2.5mm-ish) with a knife-edge yellow gold band, just to see how they would look together.

i probably wouldn''t wear them together because of the different metals, but i think it''s a very pretty look. i also am not a huge fan of typical solitaires because i like my rings to sit low, so i would probably prefer wearing an eternity with one or two plain bands.

if you want to ''match'' the eternity with the plain band, i think it would look nice if the heights of the bands were relatively similar, too, and not just the widths. but it''s really about your own preferences.

i love stacked rings, especially thinner bands.

IMG_0007_edited-1.jpg

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
oh, and my ring size is 5.5, the eternity is a 6, and my fingers are somewhat wide and short for my frame.
28.gif

IMG_0010_edited-1.jpg

haha! thanks. I am a foodie, too...I used it in food-related forums originally. God help me not to turn into jewelry junkie!

Thanks, Lyra, for your prompt reply. Is there any way to look at the pic of your rings?
Did you get your eternity from signed pieces by any chance? (that''s who I was thinking buying from). I wonder if they have a trade-in/trade-up policy....

Erika,
Thank you so much for taking the pic! This was quite helpful. NOw, I need to figure out 2mm or 3mm because I will want to wear eternity band by itself sometimes, too and I don''t want it to be too-too small....
I need to go try it again!

PS. A follow-up question:
If I were to add a solitaire, would the total carat weight have to equal to that of the eternity band for balance? Is there a rule of thumb?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 7:56:10 PM
Author: HedonisticallyInclined

PS. A follow-up question:

If I were to add a solitaire, would the total carat weight have to equal to that of the eternity band for balance? Is there a rule of thumb?

Yeah, the bigger the better.
2.gif

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
when i was trying on solitaires with eternity bands at tiffany''s (just passing the time, you know), i thought that the 1.76ctw (3mm) shared-prong eternity looked best with the 1.50 ct solitaire. the 2.86ctw (3.7mm) band ''needed'' at least a 2ct solitaire.

it really depends on how you like your rings to look. if you have a monster rock (2.5ct+), you might as well have a monster band (2.5ctw+). but it would look pretty darn huge with a 3mm band. that said, a 1-1.5ctw band will look great with pretty much anything above 1 ct.

i bought my 1.56ctw band with the intention of eventually upgrading my solitaire to a 1.5-1.75ct stone. a 2ctw+ band has more ''presence'', but i figured i would never be able to afford a 2.5ct+ solitaire
9.gif

It''s been a long time since I''ve been to Tiffany''s. I do recall trying 1.76 ring (I think that''s what their 3mm was) and I recall it looking good with about the same size solitaire.

I recall that when I tried on a larger size solitaire, it looked too big on my hand; as though I was a little girl playing with my mom''s jewelry. So, I don''t think I would want anything bigger than 1.75ct. Not that I am getting it any time soon! lol Just want to make sure that if I get an eternity band and, at some time in a distant future I get a solitaire, I won''t have to re-set my ring or start looking for a new band.

Incidentally, do you, guys, know the best time to shop for a ring? I didn''t really think about the size issue until now. I''d hate not to be able to wear it if my hand got "puffier" in the summer!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks really nice. I saw a photo of Audrey Hepburn''s ring. She wore and eternity band as an e-ring and I am pretty sure she had a plain wedding band that she wore with it. You can''t get much classier and sophisticated than Audrey Hepburn.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
IMO, an eternity band, 5-stone or 7-stone ring is great as an e-ring with a wedding band. Not everyone likes the protrusion of a solitaire, budget is always an issue, and you can get great finger coverage with lots of sparkle with multiple, well-cut stones. I''m currently shopping for an eternity ring (sorta) as part of a 10-yr anniversary upgrade, and I have definitely thought about doing an eternity ring or multi-stone ring with my plain band for days when I don''t want to deal with my e-ring (i.e., when I''m active, if I''m volunteering, if I''m in court, whenever I don''t want the hassle of a protruding diamond or I''m worried about security).

If you are concerned about sizing, you might consider doing a 5- or 7-stone, or a half-eternity. In fact, some full eternity rings are about 95% "full," with a small area at the back for resizing. If you''re going to do an eternity band in lieu of e-ring, you''ll want to be sure it always fits. I got engaged 13 years ago and, despite my best efforts, have gone up a ring size over the years.

As far as widths, I''d try some things on to play with them. My existing wedding band is 3 mm to my e-ring''s 2 mm, and they look fine together. I don''t think your band and eternity ring need to be the same width.

You might also look into some of the less expensive, colored gemstone "stacker" rings to mix up with your plain band and diamond eternity ring. You can, for example, get a cute and very slender pink sapphire or emerald band to place between your band and eternity ring for fun. There are antique or art deco style slender stacker bands that are very popular at the moment. That''s a relatively inexpensive way to change up the eternity ring look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results