shape
carat
color
clarity

what should I wear to a corporate holiday party???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have been invited to a coporate holiday party in three weeks. The attire is "cocktail" and the theme for the night is "monte carlo night". We also received a $5 poker chip in our invitation, so there should be some sort of light gambling.

The corporation is somewhat conservative since the CEO is a conservative Christian, but the office itself is fairly casual. Most people wear slacks and polos or dress shirts, no one wears a suit.

I''d like to spend $150 or less on a dress...but I don''t know where to begin. I''m fairly new to the scene and haven''t been to any corporate events. I would describe my normal dress as somewhat classic and a little academic or nerdy. I wear quite a bit of turtlenecks, boots, pearl earrings, plaid, cardigan sweaters, etc.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion is try Theory. If you are close to a bloomingdales they should have a large selection for you. They have a large variety of very appropriate corporate atire. Many black dresses around $150 that you could even through a button down shirt under and a belt over and wear to work. I personally would never wear my true cocktail atire to a corporate event. Let me see if I can find a good picture for you. Jumpers are in style so you really should be good with something like this. If you are in a corporate environment I would suggest this as a basic anyway.

Here is a link to one: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=100985&CategoryID=5433&PseudoCat=b.comSearch&PageID=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Ebloomingdales%2Ecom%2Fexec%2F%3Fu1%3Dq%26pdp%5Fnav%3D1%26q%3DTheory%2BDresses%26n%3D1

It is a little more expensive than what you are looking for but this exact dress I bought last week on sale for 40% off. I''ll see if I can search a little more for you. Also, I don''t know how tall you are but I am short and this dress comes almost to my knees.

Here is one from Jcrew: http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod89248261&catId=cat250174 I tried this one on and thought it was really cute. Again, put something under it and you can wear it to work with some black tights.

This one is awesome: http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2070809849&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1217&N=945+4294967268+5&Ne=1&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID
I love this but I don''t know your body type so I''m not sure if you''ll like it. I think this one you could put with a pair of black tights for the party and not need a shirt under because of the high neckline. you could pair it with a shirt under for work in the future.

It is my experience that if I think something is just conservative enough then it probably isn''t. I''m short and I have a curvy body. I have to be very carefull what I wear to corporate anything because even if the item fits me right, it may be viewed as too much. There is a very fine line with what people view as appropriate.

If these suggestions are not you please let me know what you do or don''t like about them and I''ll help you find something else. I love this stuff.

EL1

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can''t go wrong with a little black dress.

I''ll let the other fashionistas pipe up with more interesting ideas.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one from JC on sale for $160...it's adorable. There's another dress on their site, the flannel Phoebe, that is even more fabulous in ivory, but for some reason I am unable to get that pic to upload. It's $198 and soooo pretty, you could wear your hair up, and add a sparkly bag and shoes.

velvettaff.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Nordie''s: Eliza J for $158...this is seriously beautiful...

elizaj.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Nordie''s find: Jones New York gold shift...I thought this was really classic and I love it in this color.

jnydress.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
ooooh monnie! that JC dress is too cute! here''s the ivory flannel phoebe

flanphoebe.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks GingerB.!!! I don''t know why I couldn''t get it to post, you saved the day, lol! I think the Phoebe dress is PERFECT for you, kcourselle...it''s preppy/classic/stylish, you can dress it up or dress it down depending on accessories, so it could definitely be worn for other occasions.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
alright kc...i''m on call tonight which means i am on internt shopping mode.
3.gif
my interpretation of what you''re looking for is cocktail, kinda dressy (monte carlo, gambling), elegant, conservative (meaning not too baring). this doesn''t limit me too much, so are you ready for a barrage of dresses? here we go!

dillards black stretch velvet $90. very conservative, simple, pretty, and the velvet is noce for holiday parties

dillblk90.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the Phoebe is definitely conservative! Ginger, could you possibly post the back view, it''s great as well!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
dillards black chiffon $140. i love this dress! i recommedned it for someone else on here i think. i tried this one on in person and the material was great! unfortunately they didn''t have my size
8.gif
any way, well made for the price

dillblk140.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
here ya go! it is soooo cute!

flanphbebck.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
love red! gotta throw in a few red dresses for the holidays! dillards $130

dilred130.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Thank you! I need another dress like a hole in the head...KC, you know I can''t resist me some fab J.Crew, hee hee. Wishlisting this to DH!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
this one may not be as conservative as you need but the color is gorgeous and the price is
23.gif
$47 nordies. yup forty seven buckaroos.

nordgold47.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
different silhouette nordies $148

nordfull148.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:14:59 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
My suggestion is try Theory. If you are close to a bloomingdales they should have a large selection for you. They have a large variety of very appropriate corporate atire. Many black dresses around $150 that you could even through a button down shirt under and a belt over and wear to work. I personally would never wear my true cocktail atire to a corporate event. Let me see if I can find a good picture for you. Jumpers are in style so you really should be good with something like this. If you are in a corporate environment I would suggest this as a basic anyway.

Here is a link to one: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=100985&CategoryID=5433&PseudoCat=b.comSearch&PageID=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Ebloomingdales%2Ecom%2Fexec%2F%3Fu1%3Dq%26pdp%5Fnav%3D1%26q%3DTheory%2BDresses%26n%3D1

It is a little more expensive than what you are looking for but this exact dress I bought last week on sale for 40% off. I''ll see if I can search a little more for you. Also, I don''t know how tall you are but I am short and this dress comes almost to my knees.

Here is one from Jcrew: http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod89248261&catId=cat250174 I tried this one on and thought it was really cute. Again, put something under it and you can wear it to work with some black tights.

This one is awesome: http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2070809849&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1217&N=945+4294967268+5&Ne=1&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID
I love this but I don''t know your body type so I''m not sure if you''ll like it. I think this one you could put with a pair of black tights for the party and not need a shirt under because of the high neckline. you could pair it with a shirt under for work in the future.

It is my experience that if I think something is just conservative enough then it probably isn''t. I''m short and I have a curvy body. I have to be very carefull what I wear to corporate anything because even if the item fits me right, it may be viewed as too much. There is a very fine line with what people view as appropriate.

If these suggestions are not you please let me know what you do or don''t like about them and I''ll help you find something else. I love this stuff.

EL1
Thanks for the suggestions. My gut tells me that a jumper might be a little casual, but I''m not sure really. I forgot to mention that the event is at a very fancy downtown LA hotel.

My body type is petite and mostly thin. I am short waisted, with a little tummy and long lean legs.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:16:06 PM
Author: TravelingGal
You can''t go wrong with a little black dress.

I''ll let the other fashionistas pipe up with more interesting ideas.
TG, this is what my mom said too and she happenes to be right most of the time!!!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 10:50:32 PM
Author: gingerBcookie
dillards black chiffon $140. i love this dress! i recommedned it for someone else on here i think. i tried this one on in person and the material was great! unfortunately they didn't have my size
8.gif
any way, well made for the price
Oh my I loooooove this dress. I wish I would have opened this thread sooner I was just in Dillards today & would have tried this on.

Monarch the Eliza dress & the gold dress are so pretty, too.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:23:26 PM
Author: monarch64
Here''s one from JC on sale for $160...it''s adorable. There''s another dress on their site, the flannel Phoebe, that is even more fabulous in ivory, but for some reason I am unable to get that pic to upload. It''s $198 and soooo pretty, you could wear your hair up, and add a sparkly bag and shoes.
That dress is adorable!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:33:46 PM
Author: monarch64
From Nordie''s: Eliza J for $158...this is seriously beautiful...
Wow, great suggestion that dress *is* seriously gorgeous!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 10:44:40 PM
ooooh monnie! that JC dress is too cute! here''s the ivory flannel phoebe
very stylish! I think if they had it in another color it would be awesome.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 10:55:35 PM
this one may not be as conservative as you need but the color is gorgeous and the price is
23.gif
$47 nordies. yup forty seven buckaroos.
I love those dillards suggestions and they are affordable. This one is super cute and affordable!!! However, it might not be conservative enough. I might want to buy it anyways for new years LOL!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 6:02:04 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Here''s what I''m leaning towards right now, what do you think? It''s a little over my budget, but I love it!!! http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=35665&pid=526311&scid=526311012
That''s really nice. I also like this one from Banana Republic. It has enough coverage (bust, shoulder and leg) to be safe with the conservative crowd, but the cut and fabric make it chic enough for a cocktail party at an LA hotel. http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=35665&pid=526281

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results