shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I put in here?

How should this ring look?

• White gold with a 7.0 mm green tourmaline (Barry Stone)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Over the course of the past 6 months on this forum, I have some how been enabled to get a large number of stones and settings. I love them all but I really need to start putting them together. I recenty won this setting on ebay and and I have no idea what to put in it. I will customize the setting to fit a round stone since I don't have any nice ovals.

What do you think? Bear in mind that I have pretty tiny fingersand don't want the ring to be too over powering.

Sorry guys - I hit the button too fast - so don't vote and just comment.

1. White gold with 7.7 mm pink tourmaline (Barry Stone)
2. White gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone)
3. Yellow gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone) - same stone as 2
4. White and yellow gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone) - same stone as 2. If bi-color metal, what would you put as yellow gold?
5. White gold with 8.2 mm peachy orange tourmaline (Barry Stone)
6. White gold with 6.5 mm pink/green tourmaline (Vallejo Stone - cut extremely well - can't tell the difference from a Barry cut stone)

logr-flowerring.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy- do you have pics of your stones?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a picture of the stones would be needed to help with the consideration.

-A

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It''s too late for me to take photos tonight but I found pics I already had. The green tourmaline looks really bad in the photo but it''s a very pretty stone.

Thanks so much everyone.

logr-flowerringstonecomparison.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well honestly I think they''d all look stunning in yellow gold (can''t believe I actually said that LOL) However, the setting is white so and thats what you''re asking about.

The pink is a very lovely pink and would kind of give the princess look to the ring. On me it would look terrible, but then again, I naturally look better in bolder colors. I think fair people would do fine with such a combination.

The minty green could work as long as it holds its color, but thats based off of what I can see (the pic is a bit small).

The peachy orange stone (very nice) it would work as it is an opposing color, and if it can really hold that color without getting funky in white gold it would be fine. Some peach colored stones can look a bit washed out in white gold.

The multi stone is pretty but honestly, I think it would look better set in yellow gold.

-A

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 12:37:43 AM
Author:CharmyPoo

1. White gold with 7.7 mm pink tourmaline (Barry Stone)
2. White gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone)
3. Yellow gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone) - same stone as 2
4. White and yellow gold with 7.0 mm minty green tourmaline (Barry Stone) - same stone as 2. If bi-color metal, what would you put as yellow gold?
5. White gold with 8.2 mm peachy orange tourmaline (Barry Stone)
6. White gold with 6.5 mm pink/green tourmaline (Vallejo Stone - cut extremely well - can''t tell the difference from a Barry cut stone)
My vote is for number 4- I think a two tone with a minty green tourmaline would be beautiful!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pink would work nicely with this design, but if you think it''s "not you enough" than you probably shouldn''t do that.

Peach is a nice stone, but many turn brownish in white gold; this one might not, but you never know.

Minty could look good in this ring, but the pic is really small and I can''t really judge what kind of minty shade it is. If it''s quite light I''d consider incorporating some YG in this design, just to make sure the color doesen''t end washed out. An all yellow gold could work for the minty too.

But my favorite (at least in theory) is a bi-color tourmaline, as it''s color combo seems very...floral, and there are some floral details in this ring - marquise elements remind of petals or leafs. White gold would also bring out it''s different colors, probably much better than any other metal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy,
I’m confused. The setting is for an 8x6 mm oval but you plan to put in a round stone?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re going with white gold I''d go with the pink stone. For the peachy stone, I''d actually go with yellow gold, but since you''re only considering white gold for that stone, it''s not an option. And I actually think I''d put the pink/green stone maybe even in rose gold? Might bring out some more of the pink in the stone. And I can''t see the minty stone well enough to decide which metal(s) would go best with it.

Basically, this is a very long-winded way of saying I agree with Ma Re that this seems to be a very floral setting, and as such, I''d go with a color normally seen in flowers. Hence, I voted for the pink stone.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold brings out the blue in minty greens. Do you want that effect? I like the pink idea the best.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the confusion.

1. I get all my settings customized for my stones - this includes changing the size / shape and metal color
2. This setting can be made for a round
3. The setting can be made in yellow or white or both gold

Given this information - do you all still feel the same?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 3:39:23 AM
Author: ma re
Pink would work nicely with this design, but if you think it''s ''not you enough'' than you probably shouldn''t do that.
Pink is actually soooo me. I am hesistant to go pink just because I have so many pink rings :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote mint tourmaline in 14K yellow gold. The yellow gold will bring out the blue in the mint color, and give it more saturation.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 2:20:24 AM
Author: Sarahbear621
My vote is for number 4- I think a two tone with a minty green tourmaline would be beautiful!

Which part would you make yellow gold? I can''t decide!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink tourmaline might go well with either white or yellow but I’m not sure if it fits with the design of the setting.
Actually, I prefer the minty green tourmaline in rose gold but maybe yellow gold might work.
The peachy orange will probably do well with either rose or yellow gold.
Yellow or rose gold for the pink/green tourmaline.
The reasons behind all these are the undertones that I either try to play up or play down.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - silly question alert!!!!

Do you want

(a) a ring that stands out and is very colourful - if so, I'd go with stone #1 in either yellow or white gold (w/gold would be my preference)
(b) a ring that is subtle and elegant? If so, I'd go with stone #2. I think it would look good with either w or y gold. I think my preference may be yellow but without knowing your skin tone it's difficult.

Just as an aside, I have a stone very similar in colour to #5. Although it looks lovely in y/gold, it seems to get lost with the setting. There's not enough differential in the colours to make it look like something special. My other problem with my stone is that it's only a few shades off my skin tone so not good for me. I'm reasonably dark skinned however so if you have fair skin this wouldn't apply.

Not sure any of that's helped at all but thought I'd mention it!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the choice is only between pink and green and you have alot of pink rings already then I''d go with the green. Now I''d love to see some photos that clearly show it off before committing to it! And of course set it next to both white and yellow metals for the photo shoot. HTH

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I finally got off my lazy butt and took some photos. Too bad the lighting in my house is so horrible and the photos turned out bad. The stones are so pretty in person but so ugly in photos.

Any new thoughts on what to set? Ignore the last two stones .. they are just keeping the rounds company.

CharmyPoo - Oct Rounds (Bad Light).jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
They''re all very pretty, but I''m likin'' the green one...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The peachy tourmaline in a setting.

CharmyPoo - LOGRPeachTourmaline.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Here is the purple spinel.

CharmyPoo - LOGRPurpleSpinel.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm really likin' the purple spinel in that setting. The peach toumaline is going to be a pain to find the right color gold. I had to set mine in rose gold, that was the only gold that really made my stone look good.

ETA: Is that ring a rose gold?? The picture with the purple spinel makes it look rosey, but the one with the tourmaline looks like white gold... maybe it's my monitor..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 10:15:56 PM
Author: mochi
Oh, I''m really likin'' the purple spinel in that setting. The peach toumaline is going to be a pain to find the right color gold. I had to set mine in rose gold, that was the only gold that really made my stone look good.

ETA: Is that ring a rose gold?? The picture with the purple spinel makes it look rosey, but the one with the tourmaline looks like white gold... maybe it''s my monitor..

It''s not you - I have that setting in both rose gold and white gold :) I can''t find the right metal for that peach tourmaline! Nothing looks right with it. Pain in the butt. I may just not set it.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 11:21:43 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 10/19/2009 10:15:56 PM
Author: mochi
Oh, I''m really likin'' the purple spinel in that setting. The peach toumaline is going to be a pain to find the right color gold. I had to set mine in rose gold, that was the only gold that really made my stone look good.

ETA: Is that ring a rose gold?? The picture with the purple spinel makes it look rosey, but the one with the tourmaline looks like white gold... maybe it''s my monitor..

It''s not you - I have that setting in both rose gold and white gold :) I can''t find the right metal for that peach tourmaline! Nothing looks right with it. Pain in the butt. I may just not set it.
LOL!! I thought there was something wrong with my eyes! hehe!! I have my peach toumaline in the same setting as yours. Here is the picture...

I had the darnest time looking for a setting for this stone. The white gold washed out the stone, the yellow gold just wasn''t right, so the only one left was rose gold. It turned out pretty nice, I think.

SSCN2879.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the green!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about setting that blue RB in the first setting you posted. Blue stones tend to go very very well with diamonds.

LOVE the second setting you posted and feel that many stones could go in it. How does the green/minty stone look in it? Really I think it just comes down to which stone you want to start wearing.

HTH

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I just want to comment you have a nice gem collection. I vote for the green stone but have no idea about the metal colour.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pink round one (first one from the left) and a light green step cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results