shape
carat
color
clarity

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rosie

Rough_Rock
My husband upgraded my stone from my original being a .43 H VS1 to a 1.04 carat D SI 1 and he didnt even notice the inclusions in the store when buying it and they are on either side when you look at the side and up. Not sure if i should go back and look even if i have to take a lesser colour grade but better clarity or better eye clean one if i can find one there. And i am assuming that eye clean means you cant see the inclusions very clearly. This just bugs me because i can see them clearly because i know where they are. It is an AGS certified and he paid $8,900 for it, but they also gave him $2,400 in a trade in for my smaller stone. What should i do. I am also in Canada if the ring price seems off from down there.

This is some information on the stone i found on the AGS certificate:

1.04 carat
D colour
clarity SI 2
cut 3
round brilliant
dimensions are: 6.44 mm x 6.42 x 4.00 mm (leveridge gauge)

appraisal value with my 3 stones on either side is $14,343.00

Thanks
26.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why not get something like an E or F SI that is eye clean? if the clarity really concerns you and it''s an uncerted purchase or a lab where you aren''t sure how true the grades are, maybe try a G VS or something if you want to keep that size.

there is much more to a diamond than just color and clarity, what about cut of the stone, is it excellent quality? i dont know much about your purchase but i would venture to say that you should consider all the options before taking this stone back and you or your hubby blindly shopping again. do a bit of research on diamonds to really figure out what you want. good luck!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Take it back. You aren''t happy with it, so that is reason enough. Try looking at something in the E-G range and eye clean SI or maybe even VS2 if you are an eagle eye. It sounds as if you bought it having seen it, so just figure out what is important to you vis a vie cut, color and clarity to find the right balance, and look at a variety of stones in various lighting -- away from the bright halogens, which mask reality.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2004 6:14:30 PM
Author:Rosie
My husband upgraded my stone from my original being a .43 H VS1 to a 1.04 carat D SI 1 and he didnt even notice the inclusions in the store when buying it and they are on either side when you look at the side and up. Not sure if i should go back and look even if i have to take a lesser colour grade but better clarity or better eye clean one if i can find one there. And i am assuming that eye clean means you cant see the inclusions very clearly. This just bugs me because i can see them clearly because i know where they are. It is an AGS certified and he paid $8,900 for it, but they also gave him $2,400 in a trade in for my smaller stone. What should i do. I am also in Canada if the ring price seems off from down there.

This is some information on the stone i found on the AGS certificate:

1.04 carat
D colour
clarity SI 2
cut 3
round brilliant
dimensions are: 6.44 mm x 6.42 x 4.00 mm (leveridge gauge)

appraisal value with my 3 stones on either side is $14,343.00

Thanks
26.gif
Rosie
this is a 1.04 ct ? its only 6.44 mm ? i think it should be more like 6.55 mm for better cut stones...oh i just notice is a ags 3 so is not a ideal cut.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Eye clean refers to no being able to see inclusions from the face up position at about 10-18inches.

Seeing inclusions from the side or pavilion is common even in some VS clarity grades.

Nevertheless, since it bothers you, take it back and find a stone you are happy with...that''s what is important.

Good luck.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Rosie,

My advice is to bring it back.

If it bothers you now, its unlikely to ''suddenly stop'' bothering you.

Maybe look at some near colorless stones with a higher clarity.

Most stores that sell quality diamonds such as AGS diamonds will be interested in having you happy with your purcahse.

As mentioned, to find a diamond eye clean from the side, you may need a VS clarity.

Keep us posted on what you do.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I agree that you should go back to the seller and tell them you''re not happy. Hopefully, they''ll let you exchange it for something else. The only other thing I would say, is to be sensitive to your man''s feelings. It''s never fun to have one''s efforts rejected.

Z.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since there is an AGS cert, than there sould be some more numbers and a clarity plot.
Can we see those ? ( a scan of the report, that is)

I can only say it once more: "get another if you do not like it". However, not all SIs are the same and I am curious to see if this is one of the worse SI2 (expecting a single large inclusion intead of many small ones, and placed close to the surface - for "the worst). There may be much better achievable, without having to go up to VS...
34.gif

Hi, Rosie:

How special that your husband is upgrading your ring!
1.gif

While I''m no expert, I can tell you that I used to own a very pretty D color stone (previous marriage), but realize now that we paid a premium to get that D when I would have been just as happy with an E or even an F. My new ring (I just got engaged) is a G Emerald Cut VS center stone, with F VSIs on either side. It''s amazing and very white to my eyes.

Diamonds are so much about individual taste, in my opinion. If you go back to the retailer and look at an E without visable inclusions, you may find that you can''t really see the color difference.

You''ll be wearing this stone for the rest of your life, so please take good care of yourself and get what really makes you happy. With that budget, you''re sure to find something really beautiful that you''ll love and appreciate.

Enjoy!!!! Mary

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
That is quite a bit of money to not be *absolutely* thrilled with the stone. Also, an AGS cut grade 3 isn''t the best. You should shoot for 0 or at least 1.

Could you post all the specs on the stone. The crown & pavillion angles should be listed on the AGS cert as well as the girdle. It sounds like this stone might be too deep or have a very thick girdle.

Rosie

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for trying to help, i maybe should take the certificate back and get it checked out as what i have put on here for you guys to read is all that is on the report...hmmm...I went back there today and had it cleaned and because of the lighting you really cant see those inclusions in that store. All the sales lady said was that he had spent over a month searching different jewellers before actually buying that one from them and that it is a beautiful white diamond. I guess if anything is to be done i will have to send my husband in to compare the different colour grades to this one and maybe keep the same clarity, but more eye clean.
Thanks all!!
23.gif
32.gif

Rosie

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Just thought I would follow up and let you know that my husband has an appointment with the owner of the jewellery store tomorrow morning to get the diamond straightened up. He went today and told the girl he bought it from that we weren''t happy given the inclusions we can see that werent as noticable in the store. The sales lady told him to come tomorrow to deal with the owner and he will get something that will make us happy. Thanks again!

emteeth.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Rosie, if you''ve read this forum much at all, you will realize that the consensus is that CUT is the most important factor of the stone when it comes to sparkle. But what is also important is that a great cut will mask inclusions because you see mostly just sparkle. I have two I-1 clarity stones and I can never see the inclusions in the one and rarely see the inclusion in the other. While a D color stone is wonderful, I''d go for a bit lower color and get the best cut that you can afford. The great cuts also mask color in a stone, so an ideal cut stone will be very very white even all the way down to the I, J and K colors for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results