shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Chicago for work for the next few weeks. I''ve been here several times before but only for 3 or 4 days at a time. I have a lot more time this time (and will be back for 4 more weeks later this fall) to explore the city. In the past I''ve gone to a Cubs game, visited the Natural History Museum and went to the Navy Pier. So mostly touristy things. I have also spent a lot of time dining at various place (usually that''s all I have time for with work!). So, this time I have a few weekends and I think I''ll have more time in the evenings too. What should I do/see? My DH is coming up to join me this weekend and so far we have tickets to one of the White Sox/Red Sox games (go Boston! hehe) but not other set plans. I was thinking of taking him to MK for dinner one night because I really liked it the last time I was here. Any suggestions on things to do both this weekend and in the following weeks as well as yummy restaurants?

P.S. I''d love to meet you local PSers at some point if any of you are up for it!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
we were just there in July...we had drinks and apps at Pops For Champagne it was great! I also recommend taking a stroll down Oak Street and visiting Graff and HW
30.gif
30.gif

Have fun!!
(and be sure to grab a Chicago Hot Dog from a street vendor with those wonderful poppy seed buns! -- if you like them that is)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Review this thread, and consider my advice...second from the top for more ideas. Though you''re not looking to propose...people who are looking to do that come up with cool places in the city...

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve also been a fan of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Orchestra Hall is a fantastic building and I think they are great!

Another idea is to take a river architectural tour of the city. You hop on a boat along the Chicago River and get a great tour of all of the great architecture of the city.

Millennium Park is another great place to visit. You can go see "the Bean", officially known as Cloud Gate. The band shell is also a sight to see.

The Shedd Aquarium and Museum of Science and Industry are two of my favorite museums.

The Hancock Tower and Sears Tower are both great views of the city from the observation decks.

As for food, there are so many great restaurants, its hard to name just a few. I will tell you to grab at least one dinner at Giordano''s Pizza. That is by far my favorite Chicago style stuffed pizza. Gino''s East is also a great pizza place.

That''s all I''ve got for now. If I think of anything else or hear of anything else coming up, I''ll be sure to let you know!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yum.. Rosebuds...

The Art Institute..awesome even if you're not into art. DH always gets into the "weapon" room. Normally, I'd also mention Shedd, but I think it's closed...?

Gotta do the deep dish pizza thing. Uno's and Giordano's are the big names, but a real city dweller will tell you that there are better places (as a tourist, I disagree :) If I'm going to be in Chicago a couple nights, I like to order in at least one, and Giordano's are everywhere. The spinach one is AMAZING.

Do you have time to see a play? You can always hit up the theater district.

Oooh, SECOND CITY! If you haven't seen it, you need to.

:) ETA: At Wrigley, adding the carmelized onions to your dog is a MUST.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MK is one of my favorite restaurants! I love it.

If you''re meat eaters, Tango Sur is also fabulous.

Check out metromix.com, we use it all the time to make our plans.

If you have a car and you love live music, it''s worth a trip up to Ravinia. Get lawn tickets and bring a blanket and picnic basket full of goodies and drinks. If you do go, get there EARLY because it fills up. You could spend the day at the Chicago Botanic Garden before the show, because they''re very close to each other.

What do you like to do/eat?

I''d be interested in a Chicago GTG if I can make it!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Elmorton: I think Shedd is still open but the Oceanarium part will be closing soon for refurbishment-I don''t think it''s starting til September but could be wrong. And really-that''s the best part of the Shedd I think.

Sap-I thritto Rosebud-my fave, and try Uno''s too. Definitely hang out in Millenium Park to see Cloud Gate or the ''Bean'' and go shopping or window shopping on Michigan Avenue. I also love just walking around Navy Pier-I recommend the Sea Dog boat tour or the Tall Ship one-but the tall ship one is semi-interactive. Go to the top of the Hancock or Sears Tower and if have a cocktail at the Signature Room.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and what about seeing a movie in the park? I LOVE doing this, so much fun. Buy a really good bottle of wine, some dinner, and bring a blanket. (Can you tell I like being outside?)

The schedule:

When:
August 12 : 8:25 p.m. "Touch of Evil" (1958)
August 19 : 8:15 p.m. "An Affair to Remember" (1957)
August 26 : 8:03 p.m. "Grease" (1978)

Price:
Free

Event Phone Number:
312-744-3315

Butler Field, Grant Park
100 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60601

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I''d definitely go to a neighborhood festival while in town. It''s one of my favorite things about Chicago in the summer. In addition to movies in the park, there''s music in the parks too. Just check out the park district''s website for what''s happening at a nearby park. You may have to go the city''s website to find out the festival schedule. I would second Ravinia and Millenium Park if you have time.
I don''t think Giordano''s is that good anymore but that''s just my opinion. Honestly, I can''t think of a great pizza place these days.
Tuscany is another great Italian restaurant in the Little Italy area (near Rosebud which others mentioned). There''s also a great little Italian ice stand on Taylor Street in the same area. It''s across the street from an Italian Beef place (one of the best, I think it''s called "Al''s").
I know you can find Whole Foods all over but there is an especially good one on Roosevelt, just SW of downtown Chgo. It has seating and has an amazing hot and cold food bar. Worth the trip for lunch or dinner.
Science & Industry is a great museum. Museum of Contemporary Art is supposed to be great also.
I love Maggiano''s restaurant on Clark. The best spaghetti.
Wicker Park and Bucktown are very cute neighborhoods to walk around and you can find good restaurants there too. They''re not far NW of downtown.

Enjoy your trip!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to be here over Aug. 22-24? We always have a PS GTG for the gem shows so if you''re interested in meeting up we would love to have you!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The architectural boat tour is really interesting.
Harry Caray''s is fabulously fun.
The zoo in Lincoln Park is my favorite in the country (we go to the zoo whenever we travel and no zoo, including our hometown zoo in San Diego, is as beautiful). There''s an amazing Italian bakery up in Andersonville if you feel like taking a subway ride (it''s a neat community with some cute shops and restaurants).
If you enjoy fine dining Everest is AMAZING.
Walking along N Astor Street and the adjoining neighborhood is really beautiful, it''s a great place to wander after breakfast at The Original Pancake House, on Bellevue.
All of the museums are amazing; the Shedd is especially interesting.
If you''re interested in theatre, seeing a play at The Goodman is a great experience, as is going to Second City for a night of comedy.
A walk through Old Town is an interesting way to spend an hour or two (check out the spice store). This is a great way to spend an evening/night...wander Old Town, dinner, then catch a performance at Second City.

There is so much to do/see/enjoy in Chicago...have a blast exploring.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has great suggestions so I have none to add right now, but SAP, when do you leave Chicago? I live there now but I''m away for the summer - will be back in 3 weeks or so! i would love to meet up with you while you''re in town!

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
eat at HOT DOUGS at least once!! i know a hot dog is a hot dog is a hot dog, but view the special menu on the website and i think you''ll see that this place is a bit different than ball park franks.

www.hotdougs.com

sap483

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, I never realized that so many of you are from the Chicago area! Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! It''s funny because I don''t know any of you, and yet you were all able to suggest something that I would absolutely love to do! For those of you wondering, I’m here through August 21, but will be gone Friday night through Sunday mid-day (August 15-17). I’ll be back again September 7-19 and then again in November.

Lovewhitediamonds- How can a girl resist champagne and diamonds? I’ve been to Carmine’s but not to Rosebud’s. Thank you for the recommendations- I will report back!

Regular Guy- Thank you for the link. That thread made me really want to visit the botanical gardens, but I don''t have a car here so I probably can''t make it.

Dockman- I just remembered that I have already been to Millenium Park! I do love science museums and aquariums. I really wanted to go to both last time but went to the Natural History museum instead. I think it’s time that I go there. The architecture river tour sounds really interesting too. I have an appreciation for architecture, but not as much knowledge about it as I’d like. I will be sure to get some pizza too!

Elmorton- I just checked out the website for Second City, thank you! I’m a big fan of comedy shows. Have you seen either of the two shows that are playing right now? If so, which one would you recommend?

Haven- The movie in the park sounds like so much fun, would it be weird/unsafe to go by myself? Tango Sur sounds a lot like one of my bosses’ favorite Argentinean steakhouses in San Francisco. We go every time we’re there. He’s going to be with me in September, so I’ll check it out for beforehand. He always loves to go to Brazzaz (the Brazilian Steakhouse) every time we’re here too! I’d love to meet up if you’re available while I’m here!

Blair- Michigan Ave is both a wonderful place and an awful place! I’ve already done a bit of damage while I’ve been here. A drink in the Signature room sounds good- perhaps get cocktails on Saturday since we’re having a late dinner? Do you think it will be too busy?

Dixie-Thanks for the heads up on the festivals. I can’t make it up to Ravinia, but I’d love to check out some other parks.

DeeJay- I’m leaving the day before it begins! Talk about bad timing. I’ve seen pictures from the past gems shows and I’m bummed that I can’t join you!

Kimberly H- Oh I love the zoo! I’ve never been to the one here. Thank you so much for letting me know it’s worth the trip! I think I will be checking out Second City on Saturday night too. I’ve read several reviews about Everest. I’m taking clients out Monday night, perhaps that will be a good restaurant to take them too? Or is it more romantic?

Browneyedgirl- I’d love to meet up with you too! Perhaps in September when I come back?

Tenfour- I think you just helped me find a great lunch spot for when DH is here. I’m not a huge hot dog fan, but DH appreciates them quite a bit more.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely SAP! I''ll be around in September, just in time to enjoy Chicago''s awesome fall
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Go to Pizzeria Uno on East Ohio Street. Best pizza EVER. EVER!
28.gif
You will not regret it.

pizzeriaunommmm.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 3:10:19 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Go to Pizzeria Uno on East Ohio Street. Best pizza EVER. EVER!
28.gif
You will not regret it.
Oh gosh, I had the deep dish pizza and could only eat a slice at Gino's East; I have had Pizzeria Uno in DC and it was yummy! Those butter crusts are like nothing I have ever had before!
18.gif
YUM!!! I loved loved Chicago; the people are so friendly in that city, the architecture is awesome, I loved the architectural boat cruise, the lake, the museums (Shedd, Science and Idustry and Museum of Contemporary Art ) I can't wait to go back; next time I need to spend more time there because I want to rent bikes and ride along the lake and see the zoo. I liked Fox & Obel for a fun lunch and you can pick up cupcakes or dessert from there. hehe

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I had 2 slices of Giordano''s deep dish for lunch early Saturday, and could barely touch my dinner and STILL felt full Sunday morning! It was soo yummy, but definitely a treat!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 10:35:16 AM
Author: sap483
I had 2 slices of Giordano''s deep dish for lunch early Saturday, and could barely touch my dinner and STILL felt full Sunday morning! It was soo yummy, but definitely a treat!

Oh man, that just makes me want some Giordano''s! I don''t actually live in the Chicago area anymore so your post just made me miss home and good stuffed pizza. And its lunch time, so now I''m really hungry!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2008 11:46:57 AM
Author: dockman3

Date: 8/12/2008 10:35:16 AM
Author: sap483

Oh man, that just makes me want some Giordano''s! I don''t actually live in the Chicago area anymore so your post just made me miss home and good stuffed pizza. And its lunch time, so now I''m really hungry!
Ditto that. The wife and I just spent a weekend there at the end of July.

I don''t know that it was suggested, but I''d try to get tickets to the main stage at Second City Comedy. http://www.secondcity.com/?id=theatres/chicago You''ll need to get them a week or so in advance... If you''re night owls request tix for the late show; that''s the one that gets a bit ''extended'' when the comedians improv at the end.

If you''re wine lovers don''t miss The Tasting Room. http://www.randolphwinecellars.com/ They have over 100 wines by the glass and several hundred bottles, including some rare Sean Thackery wines (if you''re into his cult movement).

A great lunch escape across from Millenium park is The Gage. http://www.thegagechicago.com/

In addition to some great recs above (Rosebud!) a slightly-out-of-downtown small dinner place is Aigre Doux. http://www.aigredouxchicago.com/ A nuevo twist on traditional menu items and killer desserts.

If you like incredible food in a non-stuffy atmosphere don''t miss Hugo''s Frog Bar downtown. http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/ They share a kitchen with the famous Gibson''s, but many tourists don''t know it.

Finally...yeah...Giordano''s! This photo is about two weeks old, but I can still taste it...
3.gif

giordanos-pizza-july.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results