shape
carat
color
clarity

What should i buy ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang ! Dang ! Dang !
I'm buying a length of citrene beads from etsy to lengthen a strand of amber beads i have
The amber is almost orange and its impossible to match amber off the internet but i only need about 12 beads so this is the solution i keep coming back to
we are talking like NZ$20 here so nothing earth shattering but its making my necklace wearable which is my new year's resolution - fix all that needs to be, to be fixed so it can be worn

anyway anyway the esty shop owner has just come back to me saying that due to covid and freight its uneconomic to just send one strand and could i buy two
i completely understand this
its really hard to get stuff send to NZ from some places right now so im more than happy to buy something else for about the same price as they are inexpensive
Gemstone beads
But what ?
And what would i do with it ?

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
If you were feeling adventurous you could try making a necklace - of course you would then need to buy extra stuff like the thread, gimp, and clasp. This is something I myself have not done.

You could get the blue lapis beads and use the leftover yellow/orange citrine rondelles to intersperse with them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you were feeling adventurous you could try making a necklace - of course you would then need to buy extra stuff like the thread, gimp, and clasp. This is something I myself have not done.

You could get the blue lapis beads and use the leftover yellow/orange citrine rondelles to intersperse with them.

I like that
Thank you
Blue and gold good Otago* colours
Plus it would use up the left overs

* my home province

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re paying the postage, isnt it more your decision about what the post cost is economical to cover than the Etsy seller’s? If you offer to wait until they’re going to the post office for another customer, it surely can’t make any difference to them whether they post an envelope containing 12 beads or 100 beads?!

But maybe I’m being unfair and it’s the international form that takes time to complete and makes a small order uneconomical for them?

You could filter Etsy for only local sellers. Each bead might cost more but it may still be cheaper than paying for a second strand you don’t actually want!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you’re paying the postage, isnt it more your decision about what the post cost is economical to cover than the Etsy seller’s? If you offer to wait until they’re going to the post office for another customer, it surely can’t make any difference to them whether they post an envelope containing 12 beads or 100 beads?!

But maybe I’m being unfair and it’s the international form that takes time to complete and makes a small order uneconomical for them?

You could filter Etsy for only local sellers. Each bead might cost more but it may still be cheaper than paying for a second strand you don’t actually want!

The whole thing has just been exhausting from the very start

The original necklace needs restrung with nicer findings and it will be even more too tight

its too hard to match the amber - ive looked off and on for two years so that's why i went with the citrene and its cheap enough if it doesn't work out it won't break even a piggy bank

there was (not sure about now with the pandemic) a beautiful Russian amber jewelry shop in a rather exclusive mall back in Wellington but i just need about a doz little old beads
also the beads are faceted- because that's how i like then !
And i see lots of amber beads but not faceted ones

Ive even looked at those teething necklaces on line but i think are illegal here and the colour is too pale

at the time i brought the -no doubt over priced - thing i thought id just be able to pick up an old broken necklace for cheap somewhere but im not a very successful bargain hunter

Ive never delt with Etsy before but i know the whole postal shipping thing is up sh*ts creek with out a paddle right now

For xmas i sent a calander air mail to Sweden and it only just arrived !

India is a lot closer than Sweden

Just these beads look the perfect colour
maybe i should take your suggestion and offer to pay more freight

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lava stone beads are easy to find (local markets or sewing/bead shops), quite cheap and they look beautiful with amber.

Those do look very striking with the amber
now you can roll your eyes
:boohoo:
but i could never wear yellow and black because that is the colour of Wellington's sports teams and im from Otago !
(Dont start me on red and black) :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the pearl ideas @dk168 and
@lambskin
I'll save them for another time =)2

I desided to go with some iodite (i may not have spelt that right) and some garnet beads

i might make the garnets into a stretch braclete (i have some stretchy stuff here somewhere ???) And i think the other will match a piece of clothing i have so i might embellish the sleeves ..

Just as well i only have a strand of each because when it comes to embellishment i have to be very careful there, as i seem to like the process of sewing them on a bit too much and it ends up very busy looking and ultimately unwearable :lol-2:

Thank you for all the suggestions ladies
Much appreciated
Nicky

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party, but…

I’d pair the semi opal beads (yummy!) with lapis lazuli in a necklace, or

Get a few strands of the tiny faceted black spinel beads, and make some tassel-style earrings.

Good luck with your projects!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, but…

I’d pair the semi opal beads (yummy!) with lapis lazuli in a necklace, or

Get a few strands of the tiny faceted black spinel beads, and make some tassel-style earrings.

Good luck with your projects!

Im.not sure if id be that clever
:lol-2:

Ill go back and look at them

i think India is still in the land of nod right now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So i found somethimg to use up a few of my extra beads
this is a silver necklace (that needs a shine) i brought years ago down the mall
i put it in a drawer and completly forget about it
i keep finding it and forgetting about it
never been worn
of course like everything else its too tight now :boohoo:
anyway was thinking ...
As if i need more projects :lol-2:
Anyway thinking 4 or 5 or 6 beads on each chain on each side
that should hopefully lengthen it enough
I'll have to get some of those silver pin things you thread the bead on and bend over each end to go onto the chain
Might need new eyes to be able to see what im doing :boohoo:
I'll use what ever beads are smaller
20220217_212829.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So these are what i ended up getting
i think all in the smallest size available Screenshot_20220217-214337.png Screenshot_20220217-215032.png

Wish me luck they eventually arrive
my first ever etsy purchase
Screenshot_20220217-214952.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive had two emails several days apart saying they have shipped ....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are in the letterbox
i got home as it was getting dark and i didn't have the key on me
that thing is ful of bugs
So its going to have to wait for daylight
so when i get home after work tomorrow

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well they are here
Safe and sound in the letterbox no doubt being watched over the last two nights by ants and cockroachs

not sure if the citrene is too small but the colour is good enough
I very nuch like the garnets - might make a nice brackete

Not sure about the blue things
might sew them onto a blue top one day 16495627781671378155757.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dam it
the citrene is too small
The colour isnt great but i only needed a few beads at the back of the amber to make it 'comfort fit '

The garnets are a different shape but if i use just a couple of them just around the back - (the garnet beads are a choker that doesn't now fit due to fat neck) if i need them

But they will make a nice garnet braclete

So a learning experience
Back to finding bigger citrene beads...

Attachments

• 20220410_155805.jpg
    20220410_155805.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 12

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
The citrine looks like it will work with amber, color-wise. Is the blue iolite a nice color? Hard to tell in the photo.

ETA: Dang! Perhaps you can use the citrine in a bracelet? I love having cheery colors in a bracelet where I can see it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dpnt know what to do now ?
Maybe buy some not faceted amber beads seeing as they are jist gking in the back as maybe i could get them more local

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you for the link
Belatedly becsuse im kicking myself i missed this.
They are certainly a better price than what i had been finding Screenshot_20220604-194255.png

This is almost at option depending on the whipping cost if my 3rd attempt at biting citrene beads doesnt work out
(I got too small - then i got gorgouse but way too big - im just waiting on the Mamma Bear ones to arrive

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results