shape
carat
color
clarity

What settings show off best?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsisk

Rough_Rock
Hi. I''m looking to buy my girlfriend an engagement ring. I''m looking for a nice ~1.2 carat H&A quality cut stone, G-H, VS1-2. What is the best setting to show off this thing? If I''m gonna drop that much money on a stone, I want to make sure that I''m not going to hide it! Does a tension setting show better? allow more light to pass through, etc?

thanks for your help! The whole process is nerve wracking enough without any more silly little diversions.
2.gif

J

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
What kind of settings do you and your recipient like?

jsisk

Rough_Rock
I think at this point something asymmetrical/helix. I really like the GelinAbaci TR-025 and think she will, she''s also a little unconventional and I know she really likes rose gold, so that''s a consideration. I just don''t know how the setting will affect the presentation of the diamond. If the diamond will look better in more of a pedestal setting, I''ll consider it. The bottom line is that I''m sure she will be overwhelmed at whatever she gets anyway.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Find out what she likes in engagement rings. I would consider myself untraditional in general, but when it comes to engagement rings, I do not like modern or tension settings. If she likes rose gold, there''s a good chance she likes old-fashioned jewelry and she could be disappointed with a modern setting.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
To make the diamond stand out, this would be (and will be in a few days when I have my stone set) my choice:

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-In-Platinum-640.html

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Another important consideration is the wedding ring. If you go for an asymmetric engagement setting, a plain wedding band may not look great with it. You can get matching asymmetric wedding bands, but they look a bit odd if worn without the engagement ring.

Some girls prefer to wear a tension set diamond ring as both engagement *and* wedding ring, so it might not be a problem. You can''t just make assumptions though, for something as important to a girl as an engagement ring.

I absolutely love rose gold, but wouldn''t want it for my wedding set.

As my husband never tires of telling me, "Girls are tricky."
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to get your girlfriend out shopping and trying on different designs. Many of the ladies here will tell you you''re asking for trouble by not knowing what she likes. I think tension settings are fantastic. But, I''m a guy.

I think the Gelin settings are quite beautiful. Be careful about sizing though. Once set, they can''t be resized, but I believe they have a sizing program where you send the ring back and for about $100 they make a new ring for you. Also, you have to pay more attention to girdle thickness and Gelin and the other tension manufacturers must approve the stone to ensure it can handle the pressure.

That''s one reason I chose a semi-tension setting. It offers the uniqueness of tension mount, without the stress on the stone and the issues about resizing. You can see my setting in my avatar, and by checking out my thread (Three More Days) for pics.

Good luck..........

jsisk

Rough_Rock
I''m not shooting completely in the dark here. I''ve discussed this with my woman on a few occassions, most notably as we''ve been to 6 weddings this year, and have another 4 engaged couples, which has provided ample opportunity to hear her views on those rings. At least I know what she DOESN''T like.
28.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 3:55:43 PM
Author: jsisk
I''m not shooting completely in the dark here. I''ve discussed this with my woman on a few occassions, most notably as we''ve been to 6 weddings this year, and have another 4 engaged couples, which has provided ample opportunity to hear her views on those rings. At least I know what she DOESN''T like.
28.gif
What if you went to look at rings together?

Many PS''ers on her thought they knew what they wanted but after trying them on, changed their mind. Just a suggestion. I have a 1.3ct RB with pave band...the pave band sets my center stone off very well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results