shape
carat
color
clarity

What reasons should I not go below SI clarity with a cushion cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I am in search of an amazing cushion cut center stone and I want a stone that is a minimum of 1.55 carats in size. My budget is no more than $12 to $14K with trade in of current stones. I have been reading here on PS that it is unwise to go below VS2. Why? Why not?

I realize alot probably has been asked on this and I have tried to research the answer, so forgive me if I sound as naive as I truly am. I need and appreciate your insight and help.

Thanks in advance!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Cushions are a pretty open cut and it''s easy to see inclusions.
Ec''s and Asschers are even more open and you can easily spot inclusions.
Rbs hide inclusions better.

Scintillating...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
ALtough it''s not what you''d think possible, I''ve seen really well cut VS2 round diamonds which had imperfections visible without a loupe-
I''ve also seen SI2 emerald cuts which were perfectly eye clean.

There are many eye clean SI2 cushiions
In some senses, SI2 diamonds which are eye clean, present great value- but they are more difficult to find.
Cushions are are to find anyway- I''d include SI2 in the search- but make sure the seller can eyeball the diamond and assure you it''s eye clean.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dare I say it?

Even some I1''s can be eye clean! Gasp.

As stated above, some VS2''s may have eye visible inclusions. Sometimes you should take one look at a stone and buy it, others you must look a little harder to see if the inclusions can threaten the structural integrity of the stone.

If you are buying paper, then you will want to stick with a higher clarity, if you are buying beauty, then you look at each stone to see which ones speak to your heart.

Wink

dib

Shiny_Rock
i have a nice size cushion (3.02 F SI1) and you can''t see any inclusions at all with your naked eye. I knew if i wanted a certain size and color and i needed to sacrifice something.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I would say that it really depends on the stone and your eye sight! And I also want to add that not all cushions are ''open'' cuts...check out some of the more modern cuts scintillating, they have the same brilliance as a round dare I say!
6.gif
3.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Once again, there''s not any hard fast rule. We can guess that usually a VS2 has more chances of being eyeclean than an SI2, but only your eyes will tell. Not many SI2s are 100% eye-clean in fancy shapes, but there are always exceptions. If you find an SI cushion, with great specs, don''t be afraid to investigat further only because it''s an SI.
2.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate what all of you have shared with me. I feel that I just need to go and do some serious and careful studying of cushion cut stones. Due to my budget limitations, I will need to be extra mindful of each individual stone and just see which one or ones "talk" to me. I will say that I am seeking after a slightly bigger size stone but I do not want to give up too much so I still get a stone that shows white face up or at least as white as possible. I noticed that some stones face up more white depending on what setting they are in, the lighting, and what colors are around them at the time as well.

As I said b4, I am new to most of this so i plan to take my time over the next month or so and carefully study each stone.

Thanks for your input...
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results