shape
carat
color
clarity

what oils do you us to fry in?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
edit: That should be use lol

lately iv moved to using extra virgin olive oil almost exclusively.
Since then I haven't liked the heavy taste of vegetable oil.
The only place I use it is when I'm deep fat frying. (lard is best but its a pita to deal with)

What oil do you use most?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Extra virgin olive oil for cooking mostly.Also use canola.Use Udo''s blend for salads as this oil can''t be heated.I have also sesame oil, alomond, walnut , hazelnut and few more that I use from time to time..

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I use evoo most of the time when cooking. Darn it''s expensive though. lol.

I usually use vegetable or corn oil when making marinades though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I only use extra virgin olive oil. Used to be v expensive here - is now about $6 for 750ml and double that for the really good stuff.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I try not to cook w/oil if I don't have to. I use olive oil but not too often.

Storm, I was reading about your fried carrots. Have you tried swee potato fries, yummo
18.gif
I actually have those once a year. hehehe
11.gif

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I use EVOO as a general-purpose oil. For stir-frying I use avocado oil as it has a higher smoke point. I also have some garlic-infused grapeseed oil that I use when the mood takes me. Those three are all very healthy oils and taste great, too. I also sometimes use white truffle oil for marinades and sauces.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 10:09:14 AM
Author: Skippy123
I try not to cook w/oil if I don''t have to. I use olive oil but not too often.

Storm, I was reading about your fried carrots. Have you tried swee potato fries, yummo
18.gif
11.gif
sweet tater fries havent had em in years but they be yummy

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
EVO is actually bad for true frying because its burning point is far too low. If you want to, say, make deep fried chicken, I use canola oil.

For sautés, stir frys, and eveything else not involving a vat of oil at 350 degrees, I use virgin olive oil. For salad dressings, bread dipping, or sautes where I want the olive oil as a distinct flavor, I''ll use the good stuff. But it doesn''t really matter in a stew or the like, I''ve found. In fact I''ve come to like the more forward "olive" taste of good virgin oil in cooking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2007 11:26:45 AM
Author: strmrdr

18.gif
11.gif
I shall have to try those....I like sweet taters cooked the usual way, so these are worth a try

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are your favorite things to eat Storm? You got me interested in your meals because of Harriet''s comment ont he Fried Rice. hehehe
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:34:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 7/21/2007 11:26:45 AM
Author: strmrdr

18.gif
11.gif
I shall have to try those....I like sweet taters cooked the usual way, so these are worth a try
oh, oh, if you like french fries you will LOVE french sweet potatos be careful
2.gif
they are naughty
11.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m half greek so our family was doing the olive oil thing before it was "popular"
9.gif
90% + of stuff we cook/fry/bake is virgin or extra virgin olive oil, rest usually butter
2.gif
. A few things, like pancakes and quick breads I use canola oil as well.
Surprisingly you can use olive oil for stuff you wouldn''t think; we pop our popcorn in olive oil and think it tastes great. Also many traditional greek desserts and cookies use a combination of olive oil and butter.
Although I may eat the "proper" fats, I definitely don''t have a low fat diet
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:45:29 AM
What are your favorite things to eat Storm? You got me interested in your meals because of Harriet''s comment ont he Fried Rice. hehehe
2.gif
punkie pie (pumpkin)
pretty much anything with burnt burger .. burgers, tacos, getti etc.
lurkey (turkey, legs are fav.)
fried lice (rice)
taters of all sorts
stew
rilled sneeze (grilled cheese)
izza (pizza)
spork steaks (pork)
spork rump roast (pork)
licken (chicken, legs is favorite)
anything with cheddar sneeze

hmmmmm
corn and spare grass(asparagus) and brookie(broccoli) and cauli(cauliflower)

I hate pretty much any kind of bean other than green beans.
ban beans!!!

What I usually do is burn a mess(3lbs) of burger then make different dishes out of it for a week.
Same with fried lice usually cook up a large batch then eat it all week, frying it as needed.

This week was a splurge on burger week(only had rice 4 times) this next week will be a rice week I think.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm, grilled cheese!
18.gif

ha ha, I love beans especially black beans!
ETA: What is your recipe for fried rice Storm????

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to try these sweet tatie fries I think sometime! I like sweet taties baked in the oven with butter and brown sugar...I need to hunt for Strms fried rice recipe too!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 12:30:10 PM
mmmm, grilled cheese!
18.gif

ha ha, I love beans especially black beans!
i had rilled sneeze to go with my taters last night was yummy!
ya can have the beans!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 12:32:12 PM
I am going to try these sweet tatie fries I think sometime! I like sweet taties baked in the oven with butter and brown sugar...I need to hunt for Strms fried rice recipe too!
Have you ever made sweet potato casserole??

I have a recipe that''s delish, it''s almost like a dessert really.
31.gif

I use EVOO for little jobs, and Canola for larger ones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha...rilled sneeze! I will have to remember that one!

Ellen, no I haven''t ever made a sweet tatie casserole, but I would like to!

pompom.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH loves fried chicken once in awhile and I fry that in peanut oil. It is soooooooooooooooo yummmmmmy. Everything else I use olive oil.

We love salads and I only use EVOO and balsamic vinegar. To me that is the ultimate salad dressing.
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 12:43:16 PM
!

I''d be happy to post it for you, I''m just not sure where. Don''t want to put it in the WWT, I''ll get yelled at, it''s not low cal.
20.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 1:52:55 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/21/2007 12:43:16 PM
!

I''d be happy to post it for you, I''m just not sure where. Don''t want to put it in the WWT, I''ll get yelled at, it''s not low cal.
20.gif
Start maybe a receipe thread of peoples indulgent recipes. I have one that is super bad and super yummy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, great idea, I''ll do that!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love virgin olive oil (along with some balsamic vinegar) for dipping bread and dressing salads or grilled veggies. I rarely use olive oil for actually cooking since it has such a low smoke point. For the past several years, I have used grape seed oil almost exclusively for sauteing. It has a relatively high smoke point; a light, neutral flavor; and lots of antioxidants.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:26:58 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
EVO is actually bad for true frying because its burning point is far too low. If you want to, say, make deep fried chicken, I use canola oil.

For sautés, stir frys, and eveything else not involving a vat of oil at 350 degrees, I use virgin olive oil. For salad dressings, bread dipping, or sautes where I want the olive oil as a distinct flavor, I''ll use the good stuff. But it doesn''t really matter in a stew or the like, I''ve found. In fact I''ve come to like the more forward ''olive'' taste of good virgin oil in cooking.
Ditto this.

I like to use solid shortening Smart Beat when I''m making fried chicken. It makes the coating drier and crunchier.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mostly use expeller pressed organic extra virgin olive oil and also unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil. For stir fry, I use organic sesame oil.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
we make sweet potato "fries" all the time, but in the oven instead of deep frying. I just cut them into thin slices, spray with a bit of pam (or you could use oil), a dash of sea salt, and into the oven at 425 for about 30-40 minutes. They are AWESOME! And much better for you than plain white potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results