shape
carat
color
clarity

What Music Do You Like?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious what type of music everyone likes. I’m all over the board but tend to gravitate back to rock with an emphasis on classic rock. Kind of an old soul that way, although I do occasionally enjoy a new song or two.

Feel free to share a few words or video of whatever current tune has your attention. No judgments and all genres welcome.

I’ll get us started….a spin of one of my faves with some powerhouse legends.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic rock (which I grew up on), alternative rock and blues.
I used to work in an art studio, and the owner used to play blues records on the stereo all day long. I really grew to love it.

I dislike country and I despise rap.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Christian rock
70-80s rock and metal
But I don't listen often, too much hearing damage and music just don't sound right anymore.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of my other half. When we started talking we lived in different cities. Oddly enough we knew each other for years before we had a romantic thing.

Her mom was friends with my aunt so I met her when we were much younger and on our own paths. She saw me with others and all my shenanigans, many which I wish she didn’t know about. A few times at lake adventures or a party or something else our paths would cross. We both enjoy laughing and cracking jokes so conversation always came very naturally to us. We naturally feed off each other so what felt like 5 minutes may be an hour or longer. One such event sent my then current love interest into a tail spin. One that thankfully fizzled out and crashed & burned.

Anyhow all that jibberish to say when Mrs Sledge and I actually did connect romantically I used to send her music videos fairly frequently since we lived so far apart.

While I am not a Taylor Swift fan, she sent this one to me when things was moving from fun to serious. Consequently it holds a special place.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic rock (which I grew up on), alternative rock and blues.
I used to work in an art studio, and the owner used to play blues records on the stereo all day long. I really grew to love it.

I dislike country and I despise rap.

What!? You mean no Sir Mix A lot? :lol-2:

I have a very limited selection of rap I can tolerate. Most is old school stuff I find humorous.

Some of my random crazy I’ve spouted here that was inspired by different old school rap songs.

Inspired by Baby Got Back:
That when a diamond walks in with an itty bitty table
And a nice crown & pavilion combo in your face, I get sprung!

Also inspired by Baby Got Back:
Oh, my, god, PriceScope, look @Karl_K
His diamond is so big, he looks like
One of those diamond designer guys
But, ya know, who understands those designer guys?
We only talk to him, because
He looks like a total bling whore, 'kay?
I mean, his diamond, is just so firey & big
I can't believe it's not round, it's like out there
I mean wow, look
He's just so, whack

But my real go to relic is Buttermilk Biscuits. I discovered the gemstone when I was in high school and was forced to drive my cousin to middle school. She thought it was so funny. Thanks to my cheap but high powered amp and oversized subwoofers I had the last laugh.

To this day I sometimes play that song at a family gathering and she instantly snaps back to that childhood trauma. :lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christian rock
70-80s rock and metal
But I don't listen often, too much hearing damage and music just don't sound right anymore.

I didn’t know your hearing was damaged. With the rapid advance of technology I hope they create something that will allow you to enjoy music again!

If your ears could endure, it sounds like we could jam out together. I like lots of 70’s and 80’s rock.

I’m more selective on Christian rock. Depends what it is really. But my wife listens to a bunch of it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@sledge I dated my husband in the early seventies..We married after dating a year and a half. I love music from that time period into the eighties because it brings back memories of being young. I always loved rock and pretty much everything except heavy metal. I always loved music..and will dance in my kitchen by myself if something I love comes on. I’ve learned to keep my windows rolled up in the car so I don’t embarrass myself by singing at the top of my lungs at a light! :lol: I keep waiting to stop loving the new music that comes up..but still love them..I guess I will always love music..
We are not as old as the second couple in your first video…but we are up there in years. My DIL told us the other night that my husband and I are cute because we still sit very close to each other on the couch watching our shows. He still holds my hand…Sorry to veer off topic but I loved the first video..I wish you and your wife a long and happy life together!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats sweet sledge
This is my Wifeys and I song.
We played it at our wedding.

That’s one of the classics that my wife and I both also like and was in our final short list of wedding songs. Ultimately we decided against it as it was so different than our other stuff.

Being the classic rock guy I also wanted to squeeze The Joker in somewhere but we just never saw the right opportunity. My last failed attempt was in our first dance/battle song but it too lost out.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What!? You mean no Sir Mix A lot? :lol-2:

I have a very limited selection of rap I can tolerate. Most is old school stuff I find humorous.

Some of my random crazy I’ve spouted here that was inspired by different old school rap songs.

Inspired by Baby Got Back:
That when a diamond walks in with an itty bitty table
And a nice crown & pavilion combo in your face, I get sprung!

Also inspired by Baby Got Back:
Oh, my, god, PriceScope, look @Karl_K
His diamond is so big, he looks like
One of those diamond designer guys
But, ya know, who understands those designer guys?
We only talk to him, because
He looks like a total bling whore, 'kay?
I mean, his diamond, is just so firey & big
I can't believe it's not round, it's like out there
I mean wow, look
He's just so, whack
ROFL!!!! Thanks!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s one of the classics that my wife and I both also like and was in our final short list of wedding songs. Ultimately we decided against it as it was so different than our other stuff.

Being the classic rock guy I also wanted to squeeze The Joker in somewhere but we just never saw the right opportunity. My last failed attempt was in our first dance/battle song but it too lost out.

Hey, Steve Miller stole those lyrics!!
(I also love oldies)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Steve Miller stole those lyrics!!
(I also love oldies)

Holy smokes I hadn’t ever heard that version! Thank you for sharing. Although I gotta say I think the guitar work on the Steve Miller version really added something special.

Along those lines, here is a remake of the Whitesnake song Here I Go Again

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes I hadn’t ever heard that version! Thank you for sharing. Although I gotta say I think the guitar work on the Steve Miller version really added something special.

Along those lines, here is a remake of the Whitesnake song Here I Go Again

Hmmm! Interesting parallel lyrics!
And you gotta love the way Tawny Kitaen(RIP) rolls around on that car......

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm! Interesting parallel lyrics!
And who doesn't love Tawny Kitaen?(RIP) The way she lays on that car......

Haha maybe that’s when I became a car guy and just didn’t realize it, lol.

Bowling for Soup is a little bizarre but if you can make it towards the end there is another car scene. Not as good as that one in my opinion but no complaints, lol.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha maybe that’s when I became a car guy and just didn’t realize it, lol.

Bowling for Soup is a little bizarre but if you can make it towards the end there is another car scene. Not as good as that one in my opinion but no complaints, lol.

Haha, yeah, I know that song^
And here's another song about other songs....

Last edited:

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Just curious what type of music everyone likes. I’m all over the board but tend to gravitate back to rock with an emphasis on classic rock. Kind of an old soul that way, although I do occasionally enjoy a new song or two.

Feel free to share a few words or video of whatever current tune has your attention. No judgments and all genres welcome.

I’ll get us started….a spin of one of my faves with some powerhouse legends.

Was that clip from a Howard Stern birthday show? There have been some legendary musical performances on there.
I’m 55 yo wf and I’m all over the place. Love Motown, classic rock, anything early 80’s ( high school years ), hip hop, rap, Taylor Swift, Jack Johnson, Gwen Stefani. I had Lizzo’s first 2 albums on while working in the yard today and loving it. I tend to make playlists for moods or activities so in my ITunes , Taylor and Kanye peacefully coexist along with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Elton John, Beyoncé, Tom Petty and Alanis Morrisette. I feel like my ITunes should be called Everything, Everywhere All at once.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good guess @Piper70 as it was indeed from Sterns birthday bash. If you watch to the very end they actually sing happy birthday to him in their own way.

I’m always looking for Aerosmith stuff as that is one of my all time faves. Steven Tyler is pushing 60+ and still has pipes. It’s amazing. His vocals are stronger on Dream On, which I believe was at the same Stern party.

Funny tidbit about myself…Aerosmith was my first rock concert. Motley Crue opened for them. This was around 2006 at the Smirnoff in Dallas. Crue was crazy…had girls, motorcycles and fire for their hit song Girls, Girls, Girls. Man that was an awesome night!

By the way, love your diversity and fact you are still rocking!

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
First concert would be a good thread!! Mine was Prince The Purple Rain tour in 1984.
My bff, Eric, turned 40 in 2021 and I made him a 1981 playlist. I loved it!! Several of the artists on Austina’s list were on there.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like a variety of music but am a huge Motown fan!! Aretha can still make me sing and dance! We will always have a special place in our hearts for 70 and 80’s music too - our newlywed days!

I spent my early childhood in the south and there was gospel music on the early morning news show every day. I have a real fondness for gospel - very moving for me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For listening, 90% Classical, aka the music of long-dead white guys and a couple of gals.
For performing with one acoustic guitar, songs of a James Taylor genre.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
For listening, 90% Classical, aka the music of long-dead white guys and a couple of gals.
For performing with one acoustic guitar, songs of a James Taylor genre.

You’re so funny..My son picked a James Taylor Song..How Sweet It Is to be Loved By You..for our mother and son dance at his wedding..:kiss2:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I like classic rock starting with the arrival of The Beatles, and on through the 70s. I liked some 80s & 90s, too. I liked Elvis and Motown as well. I can't stand country, rap or disco and I don't really like jazz or classical.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny and @MissGotRocks not sure if either of you have seen a movie called The Upside starring Kevin Hart and Brian Cranston but I highly recommend if not. An usual performance from both actors with lots of Aretha and classical music references throughout.

Towards the end, Nessum Dorma is performed by Aretha with an explanation that she filled in for a sick Pavarotti during the 40th Grammy’s back in 1998. When I fact checked this I found it to be true.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks there are a couple of gospel songs I enjoy. Two are by Helene Fischer who is a phenomenal German singer and quite easy on the eyes to boot. I understand (and respect) you aren’t religious @kenny but you may appreciate her voice.

My mom passed the morning after Christmas 2022 and when making funeral arrangements I had selected Amazing Grace by Helene until I found a text from her indicating song preference (my wife had reminded me of a weird message I got from her about 6-7 months earlier).

Anyhow, here are two by Helene you may also enjoy. And another hymnal by Johnny Cash. Very opposite end of the spectrum. I went to a Freewill Baptist Church and this song was frequently played but much faster and always on a piano so slightly different — but despite it falling outside my normal wheelhouse, I’ve always liked it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results