shape
carat
color
clarity

What looks like an emerald, but isn''t...for a new project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I posted pics of my emerald ring recently. It was in my sapphire reset/recut thread--makes sense, right
33.gif
I would like to have a pendant made to go with the emerald, but I cannot afford another emerald at this time. I was wondering if you all could make some recommendations on some stones, that would have a similar color, for this project. I''ll attach pics of my emerald ring again for comparison. Thanks in advance
1.gif

Emerald 2 006 p1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Russian Diopside is usually affordable and slightly darker than an Emerald but would be a fairly good match.

Tsavorite is of course another but will be more expensive.

Tourmaline can be found in emerald green/bottle green colours

I''m sure I''ve missed out loads!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Emerald ring 002  p2.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking a tsav, but it would also be expensive. Hmnnn...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green/Chrome tourmaline? comes to mind

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing to add to the suggestions but I just want to say I really like your ring.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Gemrite has a 0.92 ct tsavorite and 2.35 ct chrome tourmaline - both seem to have a tinge of yellow, but the tsavorite looks like it has a nice medium green color and appears to be well cut. You may also want to check with Barry at acstones.com as he has posted a number of green tourmalines that match your emerald well and his prices are very reasonable.

~~ tsavvy

gemrite_tsav_chrt.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting pics, D&T and cellentani
1.gif
I don't know were I went wrong. Thank you all for your suggestions! I should also add that since my emerald is ~.5 ct, I wouldn't want anything over .90ish. Preferably .5-.80 ct. I do, however, really like that .92 tsavorite, tsavvy
31.gif
What site is it on?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 4:39:02 PM
Author: oddoneout
I have nothing to add to the suggestions but I just want to say I really like your ring.
Thanks so much, oddoneout
1.gif

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 6:13:52 PM
Author: risingsun
Thanks for posting pics, D&T and cellentani
1.gif
I don't know were I went wrong. Thank you all for your suggestions! I should also add that since my emerald is ~.5 ct, I wouldn't want anything over .90ish. Preferably .5-.80 ct. I do, however, really like that .92 tsavorite, tsavvy
31.gif
What site is it on?
Here's the link: 0.92 ct tsav. I have a spinel oval from John B. at Gemrite and the cutting is fantastic. I think the price on this tsavorite is pretty good, too.

ETA: thanks for posting the link, D&T -- you are quick!
1.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Mini-threadjack:

Tsavvy, have you received your ec tsav yet from Swala? I''m just curious, alright enquiring mind would like to know.
11.gif
Or is there a thread for it? -

end of mini-threadjack

Sorry risingsun for this threadjack. Good luck finding the emerald-like stone!
35.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
All those stones that have been mentioned so far can be similar to your emerald, but most won''t come really close to it. Some of the reasons why:

- tsavorite is a garnet, i.e. it''s very lively and scintillating (due to a much higher refactive index and lack of birefringence, not to mention much higher dispersion), much more so than any emerald on the face of the planet, especially if it''s at least decently cut (not to mention if it''s precision cut); so you''d have one kind of sleepy and gentle-looking stone (your emerald) and one that''s shooting fireworks
9.gif
; with most people you''d be OK and they won''t know the difference, but if you run into some of the fellow PS''ers...
2.gif

- chrome diopside can indeed be deep green, but I''ve never seen one that was blue-green; they''re always yellowish-green

So I''d say your best bet is chrome tourmaline, but you''ll have to search hard to find one that''s under a carat, the right shape and the right color, as most of them are cut into larger stones (above 1ct), like most gems are.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate your advice, mr. ma re. You have explained the differences in the types of stones very clearly. I'm hoping, because it will be a small stone, that the differences in appearance won't be quite so obvious. What do you think?

Thanks for the links, LovingDiamonds and MTG. Both stones look like contenders. I'll need to look at the return policies, just in case. I may call the vendors for more information, as well. You have all been so helpful
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want to mimick an emerald, you might want to consider a tsav cut in a classic emerald shape (rectangular with step cuts). This would also downplay the garnets sparkly/dispersive properties.

But if you like ovals, go for it! A beautiful stone is a beautiful stone, and most people wouldn''t know the difference between tsav and emerald, they''d just think it was a gorgeous emerald that was sparklier than most!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marian, if you can swing it, tsavorite!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
MTG~I like the tsavorite you found better than the emerald
2.gif
A really good emerald is difficult--and pricey--to find
23.gif
I think I'd lilke to stay with an oval shape, but I won't rule out a cushion cut.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:22:19 PM
Author: Harriet
Marian, if you can swing it, tsavorite!
I think that is what I will try to do, Harriet. Since I'm looking for such a small ct weight, it should work out. I have a pair of .25 RB diamonds and might consider a three stone pendant. I don't want to be too much out of pocket on the setting. With my wedding rings reset this summer, I'm way over budget with my jewelry projects
14.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

ETA: Who sourced your tsavorites?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that they don''t have to match EXACTLY. You won''t be walking around with your hand over your heart right next to the pendant.

Of course for PS photos you might do that! But IRL the ring and pendant won''t be viewed side by side.

LOVE the ring and many of the suggestions you''ve gotten. I really like the idea of setting the diamonds with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results