shape
carat
color
clarity

What it was like in 1967

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It seems like long ago now. The dark ages for many of you. For me, it was the beginning of the adventure that has brought me here. Was this fate? Who knows?

I started to work in the family business at the end of 1967. A super fine 1 carat diamond was about $1,500 retail in the discount area wher our office are located. No one asked for D color or VVS1 clarity. All they wanted was "Blue White and Perfect". Jewelers for the most part had no clue about GIA and its terminology although my father was a 1954 GIA Graduate. You can use your own imagination as to the extent of grading accuracy back then. While people are the same as 40 years ago, misrepresentation was more commonplace. The chances of getting caught were much more remote than now. In fact, many a dishonest firm has become far more honest over the years as getting caught is much more common. The chance of getting caught does help to bolster many a firm's committment to honesty.
36.gif

We measured diamonds with a Moe Gauge. A little spring loaded caliper and estimated the weight of set stones by using this little gauge along with a book that converted the measures to approximate weights. Our firm had a manual scale, a ChainoMatic, that weighed diamonds up to 1 carat in weight by rolling a chain out with a handle. It was very accurate, but not as fast as a digital scale. It now sits on a windowsill at home with several potted plants. My grandchildren think is it a cool antique.

Diamonds were all set by hand. We used wax tipped sticks to pick them up and minipulate them. Around 1970 we got our first digital calculator. It had green LED numbers, ran on 2 AA batteries and cost $105. Now they run on solar power, are 1/5 the size and cost $3. If this keeps up, our fingers will need to shrink. That'll be good since our phone keys are so tiny, too. Appraisals were $10 for a diamond ring. Sorry, but we are not going back there for pricing services....That's life.

Cell phones were not around back then. If you got a call, someone picked up the wired phone and shouted for you to get the call. No phone systems for small business. Just people and wires.

Well, enough of old times. Back to the present. Where do we go from here? India for the IIJS show in a month and Vegas for the JCK show in two months. Some business and motorcycling in between. That ought to fill in the time nicely.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It must have been quite a ride David, thanks for sharing!
35.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We had real problems out west because the bandwidth restrictions of the telegraph lines made it almost impossible to surf the internet looking for deals. People had to shop at jewelry stores.
23.gif

GIA was a college, not a lab. AGS was a network of stores, not a grading scale. Diamonds came from Belgium and New York and India was a type of ink that you could use it to write an appraisal on the back of a napkin.

My how things have changed.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s crazy really, who would have thought even a few short years ago you would be able to purchase a diamond from a computer and complete the financial transaction, and also be able to share the obsession with like minded folk and professionals from all over the world, all in the comfort of your own home????

Sometimes technology is fun!
31.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/30/2006 1:44:22 PM
Author:oldminer
It seems like long ago now. The dark ages for many of you. For me, it was the beginning of the adventure that has brought me here. Was this fate? Who knows?

I started to work in the family business at the end of 1967. A super fine 1 carat diamond was about $1,500 retail in the discount area wher our office are located. No one asked for D color or VVS1 clarity. All they wanted was ''Blue White and Perfect''. Jewelers for the most part had no clue about GIA and its terminology although my father was a 1954 GIA Graduate. You can use your own imagination as to the extent of grading accuracy back then. While people are the same as 40 years ago, misrepresentation was more commonplace. The chances of getting caught were much more remote than now. In fact, many a dishonest firm has become far more honest over the years as getting caught is much more common. The chance of getting caught does help to bolster many a firm''s committment to honesty.
36.gif

We measured diamonds with a Moe Gauge. A little spring loaded caliper and estimated the weight of set stones by using this little gauge along with a book that converted the measures to approximate weights. Our firm had a manual scale, a ChainoMatic, that weighed diamonds up to 1 carat in weight by rolling a chain out with a handle. It was very accurate, but not as fast as a digital scale. It now sits on a windowsill at home with several potted plants. My grandchildren think is it a cool antique.

Diamonds were all set by hand. We used wax tipped sticks to pick them up and minipulate them. Around 1970 we got our first digital calculator. It had green LED numbers, ran on 2 AA batteries and cost $105. Now they run on solar power, are 1/5 the size and cost $3. If this keeps up, our fingers will need to shrink. That''ll be good since our phone keys are so tiny, too. Appraisals were $10 for a diamond ring. Sorry, but we are not going back there for pricing services....That''s life.

Cell phones were not around back then. If you got a call, someone picked up the wired phone and shouted for you to get the call. No phone systems for small business. Just people and wires.

Well, enough of old times. Back to the present. Where do we go from here? India for the IIJS show in a month and Vegas for the JCK show in two months. Some business and motorcycling in between. That ought to fill in the time nicely.
Hello Oldminer,

I am sure you know, but a lot!!! of cutters today still use Moe gauges..., I am still trying to convince quite a few friends of mine "cutters" to switch to MM. gauge...

I guess in many way''s the Diamond Industry is still sooo primitive..., but you must agree with me that thats the beauty of this industry...

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
david the old miiner..... i sure enjoyed readin'' your letter (post).....i appreciate the time you took to share some cool stuff about your past, and, how things are so incredibly different nowadays due to the passing of time.....

ron...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1967 I was 11.
We lived in Berkely California during the height of the hippie movement.
I remember walking down Telegraph Ave.
Granny glasses, bell bottoms, love beads, long hair, barefeet.
Suddenly I feel very old.

Oh, sorry.
This is a diamond forum?
11.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
kenny...crap, you''re old....i was 4 in ''67! lol.....berkeley...been there....is this a diamond forum? c''mon everyone...........live a little!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
67... my parents hadnt even met yet....
Now I dont feel so old... lol

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
stormster.......now....listen you little.....lol.....youngster!!!!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock

Diamonds were all set by hand. We used wax tipped sticks to pick them up and minipulate them. Around 1970 we got our first digital calculator. It had green LED numbers, ran on 2 AA batteries and cost $105. Now they run on solar power, are 1/5 the size and cost $3. If this keeps up, our fingers will need to shrink. That''ll be good since our phone keys are so tiny, too. Appraisals were $10 for a diamond ring. Sorry, but we are not going back there for pricing services....That''s life..
I remember when digital calculators were SO expensive in the 1970s as my father is an engineer....They were big, clunky and terribly pricey...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 1:48:16 AM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Diamonds were all set by hand. We used wax tipped sticks to pick them up and minipulate them. Around 1970 we got our first digital calculator. It had green LED numbers, ran on 2 AA batteries and cost $105. Now they run on solar power, are 1/5 the size and cost $3. If this keeps up, our fingers will need to shrink. That'll be good since our phone keys are so tiny, too. Appraisals were $10 for a diamond ring. Sorry, but we are not going back there for pricing services....That's life..
I remember when digital calculators were SO expensive in the 1970s as my father is an engineer....They were big, clunky and terribly pricey...
now you're talking about the early 70's.i don't think there were any digital calculators flowing around in 67.
9.gif

i remember in 1967
20.gif
Union 76 gas was 21 cents per gal and you also get blue chip stamps with gas purchase.

a banana split with 3 scoops of ice cream was 49 cents at woolworths.
18.gif

a chocolate candy bar was 10 cents.
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick hijack regarding the seventies, I remember being so proud of my digital watch! Great big thing it was but I thought I was the bees knees with it!
16.gif

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Wow David - I really enjoyed reading that
emsmile.gif
Thank you.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In June of ''67 I joined the USMC and by Jan 68 I was in Nam. Eventually I was stationed in Brasil where I started buying gems on the side while my official duties were as a Marine Security Guard for the American Embassy in Rio.

It''s been a heck of a ride since then and it just keeps getting better. Too bad me and Dave keep getting older so darned fast!

Wink

P.S. Dave, I remember those calculators. I had been translating for two American buyers in the back country of Brasil for a little over a week and every night I had to add and balance the figures, doing the currency conversions from Cruseiros to dollars and then double check the figures, took me a couple of hours each night.

When we got to the shipping office from where we were going to ship all of the rough stones that had been purchased the guy in the office whipped out one of those hand helds and double checked my figures, finding two or three errors, minor thank goodness, in about 15 minutes. When I expressed my amazement of the device he said that they came from America and were ONLY about $175. (Import taxes in Brasil are very high.) I wanted one so bad I could taste it, but my wage as a Marine was only about $300 per month so I could not afford more than half my month''s pay for a toy... Heck, I thought the $200 I got for giving up ten days worth of leave was a fortune.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
He He! My parents would have turned nine in 1967...But I have heard my Pop (aeronautical engineer/fighter pilot in the AirForce) discuss how much things have changed from slide rules to calculators…it is amazing how much things have changed.
I am so grateful for all the things we have now, the internet, GPS, cell phones, all of which make life simpler and easier to live and stay connected to those we care about.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We measured diamonds with a Moe Gauge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still cherish the Moe Gauge that my Dad used during his long jewelry career. I withstood working with BOTH of my parents in a rather small jewelry store. The hardest part was getting them to listen to disco
10.gif
on the radio during the late seventies when I returned from college. Yes, those were the days. Changing watch batteries, adjusting watch bands, soldering thin chains, and selling a 1/3 ct. diamond engagement ring once in a while. Quarters, thirds, and halves were best sellers and no one mentioned or cared about "cut." Diamond appraisals in the early seventies often defined color and clarity as "good or excellent." Gee, that told you alot!
20.gif
Oh, ya, times have definately changed.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 1:04:47 AM
Author: TierHog
kenny...crap, you''re old....i was 4 in ''67! lol.....!!!!
Hey hey hey...take it easy!!!
2.gif

I was a blushing bride in ''67. I''d been at Berkeley for three years before...dodging picket lines, avoiding protest rallies, etc etc...

23.gif
Matadora!!!!! You''re just a baby!!!

I wonder what will be going on in the techy world when your kids (and grandkids?) are hanging out on PS??

widget

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 9:24:42 AM
Author: widget

Date: 3/31/2006 1:04:47 AM
Author: TierHog
kenny...crap, you''re old....i was 4 in ''67! lol.....!!!!
Hey hey hey...take it easy!!!
2.gif

I was a blushing bride in ''67. I''d been at Berkeley for three years before...dodging picket lines, avoiding protest rallies, etc etc...

23.gif
Matadora!!!!! You''re just a baby!!!

I wonder what will be going on in the techy world when your kids (and grandkids?) are hanging out on PS??

widget
He he! I am 23 which feels young and old in turns (depends on if I am helping a freashmen find their way to class or looking for a job).
My little sister Saxon is five and she LOVES going to web pages about volcanoes and learning about different types of lava and what not…if monitored there is soo much that can be learned from the internet. She really wants to be a volcanologist.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I was born in ''67!! Whatta year!
9.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I was born in 1967 as well...it absolutely shocks me that I''ll be 40 at the end of next year!!!

klr
30.gif
prongs

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i turned 1 at the end of ''67

i still marvel over the changes that occured in 40 years.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
oh! i forgot to add that my husband wasn''t even born yet!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 7:05:38 PM
Author: f0rbidden
oh! i forgot to add that my husband wasn''t even born yet!
I got a younger man too.
2.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cool thought....My alma mater...University of South Florida (Tampa) founded in 1956 turns "50" this year. Same year I was founded.

Now...I''m nearing part 2 of my life.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 6:50:35 PM
Author: moon river
I was born in ''67!! Whatta year!
9.gif
I wasn''t even a fetus yet...
10.gif
10.gif
I was born in ''68...
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results