shape
carat
color
clarity

What is Your Favorite Gemstone Shape?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking for some inspiration. What are your favorite gem shapes?

Lori

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Don''t you already have every color and shape known to man?
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
I always love seeing your latest finds.

For me, it depends on the piece of jewelry. I love pear shaped gems dangling as a pendant and am currently searching for a few in different colors.

For rings, I love emerald cut gemstones. Step cut, barions, and brilliant/radiant cuts are all beautiful to me.

I also like perfectly matched pairs in just about any shape -- there is something about they symmetry of a great match that is very appealing. I''ve never found trillions very attractive, but am currently working on an iolite one just for the fun of it and to see if they will grow on me...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all shapes; I know I''m of absolutely no help.
9.gif
I''m partial to cushions for everything but like pears for earrings and pendants. Rounds go with everything and a nice step cut is always classy. Trillions give a nice modern touch and rectangular stones give the appearance of being larger if set NS.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
It depends very much on the stone. Stones that are richly saturated but don''t have a lot of fire (such as emerald) can look gorgeous with the emerald cut. I also love the trillion (probably my favourite cut for tanzanite), pear cut, honeycomb cut, and I even think there can be a sort of old fashioned elegance to the mixed cut. Concave stones are also glorious, but there is a sort of "high tech" quality to them that might not be to everyone''s tastes.

I don''t care much for the scissor cut for some reason.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Cushions! The squarer the better!

There are a lot of other shapes I love as well, but cushions are my favorite.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Lately I''ve been picking up pears and cushions, but if I absolutely had to pick one and only one shape to be my all-time favorite, I''d probably go with the plain ol'' round.

Sort of a tangent, but: right now I have a beautiful pair of pear-cut emeralds from Serenity Emeralds on my desk that are serving as an education in why pears are perhaps not the best shape for showcasing very saturated gems. They''re lovely stones, with a depth of color that''s just stunning... but they tend to black out a bit on the ends (both the round ends and the pointy tips), and I''m not sure how I feel about that. Love the shape, love the color, am not sure I love what the two things do in combination.

If only I liked emerald cuts on rings.
39.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I like clean step cuts, starting with ECs and all the way to ones like traps.

I also like chunky cushions.

I don''t like many other fancy shapes, though, so no marquises or pears or radiants for me. I guess I like "defined" angles, so block-like facets on an OMC are okay, but sharper triangular splintery facets I don''t like.

Rounds just sorta bore me, in general, though I don''t actively dislike them. I just rarely actively like them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ovals and pears for finger coverage. I''m now though starting to get into square shapes. I don''t know exactly why. As long as they''re pretty I pretty much don''t care. the only shape I''ve yet to buy is trillion.

-A

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I like cushions, ovals, and rounds best for colored gemstones (at least that seems to be what I''m most drawn to).

I LOVE pears for diamonds. :)

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i LOVE cushions, rectangular cushions or rounds.
36.gif

Not a big fan of ovals or princess cuts....
14.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think I love them all! Except for trillions, which I can never find a wonderful way to set.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
While I do love rounds, cushions and pears...my heart SINGS for asschers!
30.gif
36.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Assher and cushion!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I am partial to trillions and cushions. If pressed, I would go with trillion as my single favorite shape. They just seem very classy to me and the sparkle from a properly cut stone can''t be matched.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are you up to Lori?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HEARTS - just kidding
19.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First it was EC, then ovals, then trillions, then rounds and now I am back to EC. I also have a new found appreciation for PC and asschers.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
asschers and square emeralds. Two of my last three stones were asschers, and I don''t have a single round in my whole loose collection.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I''m generally drawn to cushions, rounds, ovals and cabs.. would love to own an asscher though..

ma re

Ideal_Rock
This question is very broad. Are we talking shape (outline) or cut (facet pattern)? It also depend if we''re talking set or loose stones.

I guess my favorite shape is an EC, while my favorite cut is a trillion, but both of these really depend on the material as any cut or shape can look good if done with the right material. Not to mention that factors like color, clarity and size all make a huge difference.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 3:11:08 PM
Author: Clio
Cushions! The squarer the better!

There are a lot of other shapes I love as well, but cushions are my favorite.
Ditto.

Also love trillions. Going to be hunting down one of those soon, I think, for a pendant.
9.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore cushion shaped stones!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Asschers by far.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to go for cabs, pears, cushions and ovals. I really love emerald cuts and asshers as well. For colored stones cabs are definitely my favorite. I just love everything about them!
3.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think there''s a shape that I avoid other than trilliants. However, I''ve been known to buy one if the overall look is right!

I seem to buy more pears, cushions, step cuts and ovals rather than anything else (is there much else? lol)! For me it depends on the gem, the colour, the cut etc. I never go out specifically looking for a cut because that limits me too much!

That''s no help whatsoever is it?
9.gif

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Pear-shaped gemstones are definitely my top favorite!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscher cushion and pear.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Any Jeff White shape is good for me.
31.gif

LS

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I tend to like different shapes for different stones...marquise and trillion for tanzanite, round and oval for garnets, square cuts for topaz and quartz. But as a generalization, I like brilliant cuts over step cuts (though I''m looking for an asscher these days). The one shape I universally don''t like is the pear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results