What is your definition of a real man?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion: someone who has integrity, honor, strength, and good character. When he gives you his word, you can always count on him. If he is married with kids, he provides for his family.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laila619|1368914851|3449697 said:
My opinion: someone who has integrity, honor, strength, and good character. When he gives you his word, you can always count on him. If he is married with kids, he provides for his family.

This, plus someone who is comfortable in their own skin and provides for his family, both financially and emotionally. Of course, if you asked me my definition of a real woman, it would be the same, except that she must have superhuman powers. :praise: ;-)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disney definition: (Be a man)
We must be swift as
the coursing river
(Be a man)
With all the force
of a great typhoon
(Be a man)
With all the strength
of a raging fire
Mysterious as the
dark side of the moon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
One that is able to value me as a woman with all the needs and wants that I have..

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Kenny, now there's a question to get the blood pumping and the heart beating!

I've currently got two heroes who seem like real men to me. One is Carlos Arredondo, who saved lives at the Boston marathon and has come through the most horrendous personal tragedies himself.

The other is nameless and faceless. I know only that one man at the marathon had a girlfriend whose leg was badly injured. He saved her leg and her life by applying a tourniquet and getting her to hospital eight minutes after the bombs went off, so fast that the staff hadn't even heard about the bombs. How did he do it? He put on his hazard lights, sounded his horn, and belted the wrong way down a one-way street.

You would want either of these men around in a crisis. I mean, they really saved people!

In addition, a real man - to me - never throws silly temper tantrums. He also never resorts to the silent treatment but works things out, and he is a man of his word. He does not keep others waiting and he is reliable. He also takes care of business, like doing his taxes on time and getting haircuts, medical and dental attention in a regular, timely manner, and his home is run like a grown-up's home, not a teenager's. He knows basic home and car maintenance, and changes a lightbulb as soon as it goes out, and does not leave last night's dishes to fester.

Hmmm...possibly my standards are a bit high. But you did ask! I suppose that I see a real man as being very mature and responsible.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
He must kill the spiders. And know better than to tease me/chase me around w/the carcass. Never dunk me in the pool or toss me in w/out my consent. let me control the remote and the ipod in the truck, and put songs on the ipod that he doesn't care for b/c I do. Watch wedding shows and critique right along w/me.

and the other stuff mentioned too.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
A real man is someone who supports his partners dreams, listens with interest to his partners thoughts and concerns and spends real time with his children. He doesn't let his family down, keeps his promises and stands by in good times and bad, forgiving mistakes and applauding achievements. He is willing to go window shopping, make eggs and bacon for breakfast on Sunday mornings, chips in with housework without being asked and surprises his spouse with love letters and flowers. He respects his childrens individuality even if he doesn't "get" their hobbies or interests. He is kind to all and loves animals & kids. He wakes up in the sunny side of the bed every morning.

I'm lucky because I married him.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1368919967|3449737 said:
Disney definition: (Be a man)
We must be swift as
the coursing river
(Be a man)
With all the force
of a great typhoon
(Be a man)
With all the strength
of a raging fire
Mysterious as the
dark side of the moon

I like this answer!!! ;)) :bigsmile:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A "real" man - cis, trans, or other - is confident and secure enough in himself to never feel "emasculated" by something a woman might do. Or, for that matter, something another man might do. Just happy to keep on keeping on with the manliness.

Also, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH. A man of honor and integrity who spends his life serving others.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Putting up with a PITB wife?.. :wink2:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone who identifies as a man is my definition of a real man.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Someone who can admit to mistakes, including big ones. It embraces magnanimity and offers hope.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone with one x and one y chromosome.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I was just complaining about this to my DH; there are no real men on TV anymore! We were watching Happy Endings and the butchest guy there was the gay guy. The rest were all worried about their skin, their gluten, etc. :rolleyes: The women tell them what to do and how to think. We wouldn't put up with men telling women what to do, why do we tolerate the opposite? What happened to strong and independent from BOTH sexes? My idea of a TV real man is Jim Rockford, not these soft, vaguely effeminate guys that you see today.

You asked for MY definition, which will be different than someone else's, but I think a real man
is kind and generous
is loving and knows that is not a sign of weakness
is a rock when things get tough
is considerate and thoughtful
knows how to fix things
treats his spouse as an equal, with respect and intelligence

Incidentally, that list also applies to real women. ;))

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

A real man has character. He doesn't see the world in black or white and so is able to solve problems more easily. He is confident in who he is, and lets others be who they are. He supports others when they are weak, and is kind. He accepts responsibility for his actions and choices. He is engaged in life, has humor, and stands up for what he believes. He is a decent sort of guy. who never makes people feel that he looks down on them, no matter how successful he becomes.

Of course there is matter of sex. He should have the appropriate equipment for maleness.

Annette

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1368940631|3449864 said:

This.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1368975726|3449967 said:
I was just complaining about this to my DH; there are no real men on TV anymore! We were watching Happy Endings and the butchest guy there was the gay guy. The rest were all worried about their skin, their gluten, etc. :rolleyes: The women tell them what to do and how to think. We wouldn't put up with men telling women what to do, why do we tolerate the opposite? What happened to strong and independent from BOTH sexes? My idea of a TV real man is Jim Rockford, not these soft, vaguely effeminate guys that you see today.

You asked for MY definition, which will be different than someone else's, but I think a real man
is kind and generous
is loving and knows that is not a sign of weakness
is a rock when things get tough
is considerate and thoughtful
knows how to fix things
treats his spouse as an equal, with respect and intelligence

Incidentally, that list also applies to real women. ;))

+1 - I like your list iLander! I agree with your definition & your selection of Jim Rockford - he was a down to earth / problem-solving / straight shooting kind of guy. Magnum would kind of be like that too, IMO.

D

Deactivated member 42515

A man with a sense of humor

A man that's confident

A man that's willing to go on one knee

Ok, you got me. Just give me Thor and I'm happy.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1368988731.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1368988753.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1368988775.jpg

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

This.
Anyone who is male and of age is, by definition, a real man, I'd say. ;)) There are characteristics I personally respect and admire in men, but they are generally the same ones as I respect and admire in women.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hate the expression "a real man", "a real woman", a real whatever. It implies that there is only one way or one best way to be. A real man is someone who identifies as a man. He may also be a great man, a despicable man, a sorry excuse of a man, a fine example of a man, etc.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
YT said:
A man with a sense of humor

A man that's confident

A man that's willing to go on one knee

Ok, you got me. Just give me Thor and I'm happy.

YUM!!!

I think he is so hot. :cheeky:

It deeply disturbs my DD when I say that.

So I say it often. :bigsmile:

Ditto for Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr. VERY hot. :love:

Are you sensing a theme here? :D

princesss

Ideal_Rock

This sums it up for me.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Gut reaction- anyone that feels he is a man is a real man.

After reading the PP, well most of the things that have been mentioned are part and parcel of being a responsible human being. Sadly so many men and women are not people that I would be proud of knowing. Course then there are all the lovely characteristics that make a real man my man :wink2: .

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My DH. He looks like a dark haired version of Chris Hemsworth and has been the only man I have never met to love, respect and cherish me.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, that's hysterical :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results