shape
carat
color
clarity

what is vanadium chrysoberyl?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this stone on a show, and it was beautiful. But pretty costly, I must admit. I understand they are rare. Has anyone seen one, and should they really be expensive?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 4:37:33 AM
Author:crasru
I saw this stone on a show, and it was beautiful. But pretty costly, I must admit. I understand they are rare. Has anyone seen one, and should they really be expensive?
They tend to be very expensive in more saturated bluish mint green colors. They are very rare in mint bluish green, and you hardly ever see them. They remind me of merelani mint garnets in coloration. I believe they are from one place in the world (I could be wrong) and they are primarily colored by the element vanadium, hence the name. The yellowish ones are not as expensive. For that color, you might as well buy an average ordinary chrysoberyl. Do not be fooled into buying a vanadium that is predominantly yellow because you will be likely overpaying for the stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I saw was about 3.5 cts and it cost an arm and a leg. But it was very beautiful and nicely cut. You are right, it resembled mint tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re pretty much collector''s stones because they are so rare, but you can get a very similar look in merelani mint garnet or minty tourmaline.. Minty stones, in any species, tend to be on the more expensive side though. It is a very sought after color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''m a Chrysoberyl/Alexandrite junkie so I love the mintyness (if that''s a word) of Vanadium Chrysoberyls. I DON''T like it when they''re a grey/green or a yellow/green however. They have to be a real mint colour.

I''m actually hoping one will arrive later this week and so will post up photos for you when it arrives. It''s not the best specimen in the world but it appears to be well cut, a lovely (pale) shade of a mint green but it definitely had me going back to look at it for a number of days before I pulled the trigger - so it had to be mine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results