shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this prong setting called?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Hi - I''m hoping someone can tell me what this prong setting is called. I know that it''s a U-PRONG if the bottom is rounded, but what is it called if it''s flat like in the pic?

Thanks!

prong61.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like it''s tension set?? Hard to tell from the pic.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 8:36:24 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Looks like it''s tension set?? Hard to tell from the pic.
I thought tension set meant that their was no metal between the diamond and the finger? It was my understanding that it''s not tension set because of the metal under the stone which is keeping the prongs together to hold the diamond, not pressure. Does that make sense? LOL!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jeanne,

Not sure what it is called ... I want to say "tension set" but I''m not positive. Since it has prongs I''m pretty sure that that is wrong.

I found 2 websites that have rings that look "similar" in some ways to the picture that you have posted.

Niessing
Gelin & Abaci

I hope that this helps. I''m sorry if it doesn''t. I''ll keep an eye out.
35.gif

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone - sorry the the bad pic. Based on everyone''s comments, it seems like it may be a modified tension setting..if there''s such a thing??

Sparks - Thanks for the links. Looking at some of the pics there - my pic looks similar and would be a tension setting if not for the solid bottom.

Please let me know if you do stumble across the official name, otherwise I''m going to have a tough time trying to explain this to the jeweler!

33.gif

Thanks all.

ps. I think I''ll try posting this on the Rocky-talky thread as well...
35.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not a tension, as people have already said. I don''t think there''s a name for it. It is prong set, but the prongs are very rectangular. A picture is worth a thousand words - just show your jeweler the picture! You could print it out or email it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results