shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this brushed effect on diamond image

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
When viewing this diamond which is apparently a VS2 from certain angles I see what I can only describe as "brushed white lines". I have put red boxes around areas to point to what I mean. Is this just the surface of whatever its placed on showing through or something else? I suppose ultimately I am trying to understand if this will make the diamond worse or just an effect of surface/machine etc. diamond.png

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
There is some at 3 O’clock and it appears to be on the main pavilion and/or a girdle facet from the reflection. I wonder if it could be some residue from when the stone was cleaned after it‘s final polish.

Stones are held to the dope (think stick that lies against the cutting surface) with a very, very sticky wax. I’d ask the vendor to scrub & stream clean it and send a new photo because that is kinda funky.

Last edited:

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
Another example, I have added one angle where we see that brushed white effect and the straight on angle where the arrows look clean but there is the brushed effect next to the arrows e.g. if you look at the 3 o clock arrow.

sidebyside2.png sidebyside.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a lab diamond?

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
No its meant to be a natural

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
No its meant to be a natural

Not sure what "meant to be natural" means?

Do you have the report? If it's natural, it should mention this on the report.
On reports for lab diamonds, they won't.

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
Not sure what "meant to be natural" means?

Do you have the report? If it's natural, it should mention this on the report.
On reports for lab diamonds, they won't.

It is a natural. I am trying to find the link to James allen where I found it. Will post when I find it.

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
That is either polish issues or internal graining lines

Thanks I looked up internal graining and the patterns seem similar to examples so I think that makes sense. I am a bit surprised that stones with so much graining are listed on JA :/

I am assuming this much graining would affect light performance right?

Last edited:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mind has graining like that but they are only visible in certain angle when intense lighting cast on a few large facets. It also only noticeable in light refraction. So I can see those graining line in a prism. It honestly does not bother me much, and I don't think it impact the sparkle.

Mine is a VS2, and I think, mainly because this graining pattern. Otherwise, the inclusions are barely noticeable under 10-30x magnification.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is this a diamond that you are considering for purchase?
The internal/surface graining seems a bit... abundant.

For the money, I think there are much better options with superior proportions and angles.

Here's one example:

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Thanks I looked up internal graining and the patterns seem similar to examples so I think that makes sense. I am a bit surprised that stones with so much graining are listed on JA :/

I am assuming this much graining would affect light performance right?

Internal graining can cause haziness. The lab cert may note internal graining as an inclusion though not always. If it is surface graining, it won't cause transparency issues.

The stone @DejaWiz posted is a much better choice IMO - both a nicer cut and no graining issues.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The patterns you are noting are simply reflections of what is overhead of the diamond that have not been obstructed by the blackness of the camera lens.
I don't believe it is anything at all internal to the diamond. In the angle shot you are seeing an overhead white light and the blue color of what looks like fabric.

Diamondguy321

Rough_Rock
Is this a diamond that you are considering for purchase?
The internal/surface graining seems a bit... abundant.

For the money, I think there are much better options with superior proportions and angles.

Here's one example:

Thank you. No I am not planning to buy it but just wanted to know what to look out for. Thanks a lot for the alternative. I will take a look at it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results