shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the worse wedding that you ever attended?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m someone who loves weddings and usually has no complaints, but I recently attended one where I was really made to feel unwelcome. There were not enough seats for everyone in the teeeeeeny hall where the reception was. It was very, very hot inside and windy, drizzly, and cold outside. I got stuck on a folding chair outside. Everyone who was outside had no idea what was going on inside, we didn''t have access to the little bit of food that was served inside, and it was freezing. FI and I ended up leaving after about an hour--before the cake was even cut--because we were so uncomfortable!

My worst wedding is nothing compared to some of the previously-posted stories, though! My goodness!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 5:52:17 PM
Author: Ara Ann
There seems to be a recurring theme to these posts...too much booze = not a nice wedding. WHY do so many brides, grooms and attendants (even other guests!) mess up what is supposed to be such a nice day by getting SO drunk, you can''t even STAND? Sorry, I just don''t see the point. If someone WANTS to get stinking drunk, do it on a day that is insignificant, not on your wedding day, ya know? There is no excuse for that. It''s a celebration, not a day to get totally wasted. That is just a rude and inconsiderate thing to do to the family members and guests who came to congratulate the newlyweds.
Most don''t. I''ve been to a LOT of weddings. In fact I''ve been to a few where I thought the couple would be happier if they someone gave them a couple of shots. LOL.

But I agree with you. I''ve been to three weddings where the bride or groom or both were toasted and it was sad. John and I would have actually liked to try some of the wine that was served at our wedding. We had a wine tasting style bar set up (beer, wine and champagne) but between the two of us only managed the equivalent of one glass of wine over 6 hours. But like I said, we aren''t big drinkers.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 3:40:22 PM
Author: swimmer
I was a bridesmaid and this was when I was just out of college. The preacher asked the wedding party during the rehearsal if we were all saved. I was just going to smile and not engage him, but a friend who is very fiesty and an atheist, explained her status and that I am Jewish. So the next morning we were asked to come to Jesus during the wedding ceremony. The groom stopped the preacher after he harangued the two of us for being sinful and then went on to denounce alcohol, which flowed freely at the reception. The reception was really a great time, a total disconnect from the ceremony.
The worst reception was when the bride ditched my friend at the altar. He was standing up front and a bm walked up the aisle to whisper to him in front of us all that the bride was not coming. My friend asked his friends to come to the reception anyway since the food was paid for. I was relieved for him as she was not good to him or for him and in the long run it worked out for the best, but wow that was a moment.
another "run away" bride ?
9.gif
37.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been to a bad wedding, really. I did witness some bad moments though:
- At one, the groom''s mom was very drunk when she made her toast, during which she embarrassed the heck out of her son. I felt so badly for him, and his father didn''t even try to stop his mother.
- At another, the officiant was very old, and she kept on forgetting her place in the ceremony. She repeated most of the vows twice, and then she forgot the groom''s name when it came to saying it in the vows, so she leaned in and said "What''s your name?" It was awful.
- The worst wedding moment was when we received a pre-printed thank you card from the couple with our names hastily scrawled on top of the print. The worst part? DH was in their wedding party, the groom is a very close friend of his! Ridiculous.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
The worst one I''ve been to was a reception where the only food served were different types of Jello molds. Seriously- about 12 different kinds. And that was it. And to drink- water. The bride''s family was LDS and she said they didn''t believe in alcohol or caffeine, so not even coffee and tea were offered! We left early and went out for Chinese food.

At my wedding there was a very awkward moment when a friend''s holiday hookup (halfway around the world from where we live!) showed up... turns out he''s married to dh''s cousin! Small world.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I love weddings, too, and have enjoyed most of the ones I''ve been to. But, there have been the outdoor Summer in Houston heat with mosquitos weddings, the sit in the corner and the bride nor the groom acknowledge that you''re even there wedding, the run out of buffet food before you get to eat wedding, the wedding ceremony and the reception that starts 3 hours later after you''ve driven hours to get there and you have no clue what to do in the meantime weddings, the never cut the cake "it is just for decoration" wedding (a friend even asked them to cut a piece for us to go!)....

But, the worst was MY wedding! We decided to get married in a quaint old Methodist Church that dates back to the 1800''s. DH has to work on weekends so I visited the church during Sunday services and met with the pastor afterwards. There were two other couples doing the same thing. Well, I mentioned something about possibly joining the church and the pastor said "we''re very happy with the congregation that we currently have." Also, during the service, I heard someone behind me say "she must be new." I was made to feel VERY UNWELCOME! It was like the pastor ran this church like a business. He is also a state congressman. Anyway, I was pissed and did NOT want this man to marry us. I told my Mom and she was upset, too, but we were already short of time if we wanted to be married on Valentine''s Day in that church. It was Go Texan Day on the day of our rehersal and everyone was dressed up in their best Western clothes. All of the men loved the pastor because they thought he was a good ole boy....I was fuming.

Long story short....wedding day, the photographer was taking too long and the pastor got upset. He made my Mom go get the photographer from the hotel across the street where the bridal party was getting ready. We got through the ceremony even though DH got stuck on part of the vows and froze. I had to help him through it and everyone laughed. The photographer took too long after the ceremony and some guests left before we got to see them. My MIL acted up right after we got married and I just wanted to run away. My Mom and MIL got into it during the reception and that upset me. Our reception was alcohol free, due to some family members who cannot control themselves when they drink, but, was held next to the Sports Bar in the Hotel. The problem guests went over there, got drunk and made fools of themselves. My brother''s GF spilled her wine all over my wedding shoes. It was awful!

I wanted to elope in the first place, but DH didn''t want to upset his parents.....UGG!
38.gif

Lori

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It''s a toss up. Both involve the same bride. The first one was a reception at a VFW but we didn''t know they didn''t rent the hall. We just mingled with the regular patrons.

Her second marriage was a "cowboy wedding". She wore some kind of western-themed bridal jumpsuit.(think Tammy Wynette) Her grandfather was drinking a beer in the front row during the ceremony. No glass.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The worst wedding I ever went to was for a friend of mine about a year ago. She had told me that her mom said"I don''t care if we have to go in debt, you WILL have a $30,000 wedding! Thats alot of money for this area since things are relatively inexpensive.

Her dad bought shots for the wedding party and they had champagne, etc so they were all half drunk by the time the wedding rolled around. The MOB dress was one of those itsy bitsy prom dresses they sell these days. The bride was so fake tanned that she looked like an oompa loompa. The ceremony was only 15 minutes long (because she didn''t want the "boring" part to last too long") and it was SO fake and staged seeming. The bride was an aspiring actress and was WAY over the top acting when she said her vows and they had their kiss. You just had to have been there to see how outrageous she was. At the reception, all they played was "booty-dancing music" if you know what I mean. There were like 300 people there and about half were older relatives so they seemed so uncomfortable and couldn''t even get one decent song to dance to. My best friend was in the wedding house-party and had ridden with me and DH. She finished her duties and made up an excuse and we were outta there before they even cut the cake. We didn''t want to sit there at a table of people we''d never met and not even be able to dance without having to shake our A$$E$!

They were divorced 8 months later... the bride decided she''s rather take her new boobs and work as a cocktail waitress than be a wife to nice, decent man. We all saw it coming.

Oh, and I was a bridesmaid for a good friend of mine who actually had THE worst wedding I''d been to... don''t know how I almost forgot! I spent tons of money and time for her wedding and was basically ignored and taken advantage of all weekend. I was the only one who did anything productive as far as helping her out, decorating the church, taking pics, etc. When it came time for the reception, I was shunned to a table with just DH and 2 random people who stopped by for like 30 minutes. All of the other maids were sitting at one table together with a husband and boyfriend. The maids would all get up and booty-dance to whatever the DJ played and I felt obligated to go so I didn''t look like I was being rude, but whenever I got up it left DH at a table all by himself! I felt terrible for him. In the midst of the bad music, strobe lights, and fog machine, one of the incredibly drunk groomsmen broke a glass on the dancefloor which was so not cool. Oh, and a maid asked me if I was pregnant! ughhhhh. The worst part is that the bride was supposed to be a bridesmaid for me and she kept flaking out of all of the activities so I finally had to cut her (nicely) and ask her to just come to the wedding as a guest. She never showed up.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes, these are some bad weddings! One of the worst ones I''ve been to was one where the reception was held in the basement of the church the wedding was at. There was no booze, no dancing (the couple was Baptist) and barely any food.

Another bad one was where the reception was held in the basketball gym behind the church. Yes, a basketball gym with painted stripes on the floor and basketball hoops. And the building was one of those steel pre-fabricated buildings. Also no booze and a few awkward dances. The couple was Mormon and Baptist so booze and dancing were really no-nos, but I guess they wanted a first dance anyway?

And at another wedding I went to the priest gave a big speech about how living together is wrong, etc., etc....and the bride and groom had been living together for like a year! It was kind of funny, but is a lecture about shacking up really an appropriate at a wedding ceremony? How about just talking about love and such?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 8:33:28 PM
Author: lulu
It''s a toss up. Both involve the same bride. The first one was a reception at a VFW but we didn''t know they didn''t rent the hall. We just mingled with the regular patrons.

Her second marriage was a ''cowboy wedding''. She wore some kind of western-themed bridal jumpsuit.(think Tammy Wynette) Her grandfather was drinking a beer in the front row during the ceremony. No glass.

LOL - Lulu, would the glass have somehow made that BETTER? Oh dear...
32.gif

anyname

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 8:31:13 PM
Author: loriken214
I love weddings, too, and have enjoyed most of the ones I''ve been to. But, there have been the outdoor Summer in Houston heat with mosquitos weddings, the sit in the corner and the bride nor the groom acknowledge that you''re even there wedding, the run out of buffet food before you get to eat wedding, the wedding ceremony and the reception that starts 3 hours later after you''ve driven hours to get there and you have no clue what to do in the meantime weddings, the never cut the cake ''it is just for decoration'' wedding (a friend even asked them to cut a piece for us to go!)....

But, the worst was MY wedding! We decided to get married in a quaint old Methodist Church that dates back to the 1800''s. DH has to work on weekends so I visited the church during Sunday services and met with the pastor afterwards. There were two other couples doing the same thing. Well, I mentioned something about possibly joining the church and the pastor said ''we''re very happy with the congregation that we currently have.'' Also, during the service, I heard someone behind me say ''she must be new.'' I was made to feel VERY UNWELCOME! It was like the pastor ran this church like a business. He is also a state congressman. Anyway, I was pissed and did NOT want this man to marry us. I told my Mom and she was upset, too, but we were already short of time if we wanted to be married on Valentine''s Day in that church. It was Go Texan Day on the day of our rehersal and everyone was dressed up in their best Western clothes. All of the men loved the pastor because they thought he was a good ole boy....I was fuming.

Long story short....wedding day, the photographer was taking too long and the pastor got upset. He made my Mom go get the photographer from the hotel across the street where the bridal party was getting ready. We got through the ceremony even though DH got stuck on part of the vows and froze. I had to help him through it and everyone laughed. The photographer took too long after the ceremony and some guests left before we got to see them. My MIL acted up right after we got married and I just wanted to run away. My Mom and MIL got into it during the reception and that upset me. Our reception was alcohol free, due to some family members who cannot control themselves when they drink, but, was held next to the Sports Bar in the Hotel. The problem guests went over there, got drunk and made fools of themselves. My brother''s GF spilled her wine all over my wedding shoes. It was awful!

I wanted to elope in the first place, but DH didn''t want to upset his parents.....UGG!
38.gif

Lori

HUG
But at least you have a story right? I wanted to elope too, but my husband wanted a wedding wedding...ugh is right! Someone actually came up to during the reception and asked "are you the bride?" While i was wearing my wedding gown...I''m Chinese and my husband is white and we had a traditional Chinese reception, which means 8 courses of food, mostly seafood, but there were chicken, rice and noodles dishes as well and nothing "unusual". His family complained about the food to me and his cousin''s date ended up stealing a watermelon. People fought over these paper swan center pieces my mom made and would complain to me about it. My mom had made two especially for me and my husband and someone wanted those, despite my mom telling him repeatedly that those were for me and my husband. I must have had a sign on me somewhere cause everyone came to me with complaints...is that usual? All in all, i was so happy it was over and i would never ever want to do it again.

What i don''t look forward to either, is being a bridesmaid for a 4th of July outdoor wedding...that''s by a pond. I have a feeling i''m going to be eaten alive by mosquitos.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have to say that one of my best women got loaded at our reception and ended up taking home my son''s friend who is about 25 years younger than she is. Of course we weren''t exposed to that but I did have to see her sitting on his lap while pouring wine down his throat!
32.gif
. My MIL asked me what was up with her and I just played dumb. The next day at the gift opening she was seriously hung over and looked awful
14.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My uncle (on my maternal side) had a horrible wedding. The colors were peach, fuscia, and teal. I repeat, PEACH, FUSCIA, and TEAL people! Her wedding dress was peach. The bridesmaids dresses were fuscia with these fugly white bows in the front. The "wedding planner" had on a hunter green dress. The food was like . . . finger foods? My grandmother didn't even attend. I feel the need to cleanse myself just thinking about it.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I forgot about the wedding I went to where the officiant spent the ENTIRE ceremony talking about the importance of consummating the marriage. The.entire.ceremony. Talk about uncomfortable. The wedding itself wasn''t bad- good food, beautiful setting, but the ceremony was a killer.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 5:18:04 AM
Author: pennquaker09
My uncle (on my maternal side) had a horrible wedding. The colors were peach, fuscia, and teal. I repeat, PEACH, FUSCIA, and TEAL people! Her wedding dress was peach. The bridesmaids dresses were fuscia with these fugly white bows in the front. The ''wedding planner'' had on a hunter green dress. The food was like . . . finger foods? My grandmother didn''t even attend. I feel the need to cleanse myself just thinking about it.

sputter! I just snorted coffee all over my laptop, thank you for the awesome visual. yikes, well didn''t the hunter green just pull it all together?
2.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
This one pales in comparison to some of your stories, but it was a wedding for a friend from college. She invited around 300 people, which wouldn''t have been a problem, but the venue space that they chose only had enough seating for 150. She figured since they were only doing appetizers, people would be up and dancing and moving around so the lack of seating wouldn''t be a problem.

Well, for the 45+ minutes we waited for the bridal party to show up while trying to balance our plates with veggies/dip and drinks, it was definitely a problem. Once they showed up, they did the traditional first dances and then the bridal party started off the hot appetizer buffet line. Since there were no assigned tables, following them, all 300 guests tried to get in line for the appetizer buffet, since it was 2 pm by then, and wedding had started at 12 pm so most people had missed lunch. I spent over an hour of the reception in line for food. Oh and to top it off - no booze.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
this is pretty funny--and makes me grateful my own wedding was relatively smooth!

i haven't to been to many weddings, maybe 5. The worst of the bunch was in a very upscale town....and obviously the couple (who were paying for their own wedding) spent all their budget on the venue so let the guests suffer through the rest. Bad food (but not as bad as jello..or french fries LOL). CASH bar -- sorry, I know sometimes this happens, but again, it just made it unpleasant for guests, most who'd travelled and spent a pretty penny to get there for the bride. And the kicker was the entertainment, a horrid scottish polka band where we were forced to learn to dance appropriately to. Awkward and not fun! Needless to say there were no decorations to soften the atmosphere (flowers, soft lighting, candles,etc.) Oh and the bride informed us before the wedding that she had not received gifts from us yet.

The ironic part is the bride was like Ms. Emily Post when it came to my wedding (made approving face/gesture to me once she saw my favors. Asked why I didn't have a "separate" bathroom as the bride..etc).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results