shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the lowest Clarity you''re okay with for an Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Because you were all so helpful with the color question, I thought I''d get some more advice out of everyone
emstar.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, probably not below VS1, maybe a really good VS2.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
When I was shopping for my EC, I originally wanted a VVS2 and nothing lower...my jeweler convinced me to look at a VS2 and a VS1, both were so "eye clean" I realized that I could be jipping myself out of carat weight for being so stubborn with a VVS2. I ended up with the VS1 as the VS2 didn''t "speak" to me as the VS1, but visually and under a 10x loupe, the inclusions were very hard to see....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably a VS1, but maybe a VS2 if it was really eye clean.

JC

Shiny_Rock
It completely depends upon the carat weight of the emerald cut. I would say VS2 and above as the others have noted. However, if the diamond is not too large than you may be able to get away with a nice GIA graded SI1. However, it is more rare to come across an "eye-clean" SI1 emerald cut that rises above the one-carat weight......

1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an EC it would depend...I have seen VS emeralds that still have a visible inclusion from the side or similar. So it would really depend on the emerald but if there was a VS or SI that was eye-clean or with an inclusion that could be covered with a prong, that would be it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful is THIS ?

Some inclusions are particularly discreet, so... whatever looks clean.

That was I1, this is SI2:

41808.jpg

True enough, inclusions are more visible under those large facets, but cuters know that too, of course. So there isn''t just luck involved here.

Just IMO.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
so val, is your opinion that you can dip below VS land if the particular stone looks good??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a VS1 and it is hard to se anything with a loop. We did look at an SI1 and could see an inclusion (there was only one) but it reflexed itself so it looked like three. It would have driven me nuts.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I have a vs2 and if i squint really hard I can see the teeeeennnny inclusions but surprisingly, it doesn''t bother me. It serves as a good mark for identifying my stone.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.15 carat SI1, E color EC. There is a feather that''s visible under the table, but only in daylight. I would definitely notice if my stone were switched! The cut of my stone is excellent, so I love the fire and look of it so much that I can (almost) overlook the one flaw.....that being said I wouldn''t go below a VS2 if I had a choice.....
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Guys-Clarity is graded by the amount of inclusion.
So- I''ve seen larger emerald cuts of SI2 which were perfectly eye clean- the inclusions were oriented and/or positioned so that diamond was eye clean.
Then I''ve also seen VS1''s which had the bad luck of containing a spot which could easily be seen simply because it was positined badly.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2005 2:17:03 PM
Author: lovelylulu
so val, is your opinion that you can dip below VS land if the particular stone looks good??
Yes... just because what David says: there are good ones out there.

I surely haven''t seen all that moves, but some user friendly inclusions that yield such lucky finds are feathers perpendicular on the girdle plane and placed towards the corners and thin clouds. Stuffunder the table shows a bit more and inclusions in pavilion (where one might hope them to be hidden from view otherwise) tend to reflect around. Of course there is no way to tell this from the clarity map...I am just counting the things I would be looking for.
34.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 1:42:46 AM
Author: diamondsbylauren
Guys-Clarity is graded by the amount of inclusion.
So- I''ve seen larger emerald cuts of SI2 which were perfectly eye clean- the inclusions were oriented and/or positioned so that diamond was eye clean.
Then I''ve also seen VS1''s which had the bad luck of containing a spot which could easily be seen simply because it was positined badly.
Thanks---

My EC is a VS2 (GIA) and the "stuff" is in the corners................There are at least 2 pricescope members who bought SI1''s in the last year that were perfectly fine. I can see one of the little "dots" if I look hard enough an tilt the ring just so...........who cares? It doesnt affect the overall look or cut in any way. If you looked down and saw a black fleck floating in the center of the table now that would be something to avoid

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the location of the grade making inclusion and its color.
inclusions can be masked from the top in the end crown facets, the eye clean si1''s iv heard about had white inclusions there.
under the table iv seen non-eyeclean vs2 myself but others that were fine.
In general id stay above vs2 and have a vendor check it.
EC and asschers can not be drop shipped they must be examined by a trusted vendor.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Now it''s an emerald???
10.gif

The most important part of your search is the vendor. You can''t tell squat online...so by telling the vendor what you want...they are the ones who can find it :) You looking at randomand si1 and below emeralds online won''t get you very far I think
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Moremoremore- it''s true that in some cases it''s difficult to tell online- for example if sellers are simply showing a list.
BUt there are also sellers that show good close up photos, which would certainly be quite a bit better than "squat"

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I meant lulu looking online at certs

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
MMM: i know i am hopeless -- but they are ALL so BEAUTIFUL and it is exactly what is different about the emerald and the cushion that makes me love them BOTH.

such fun is diamond hunting
emstar.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
a gorgeous EC kicks the butt of the a cushion any day..............seriously i first debated between the two and thought I wanted a cushion BUT I discovered a couple of : on the hand cushions often look like lumpy rounds, sort of ovals, rounded radiants etc etc...................they are in a nutshell a little too wishy washy for me (me not necessarily you) and I felt the EC so undeniably elegant, sleek strong, timeless............ so................you guesses it! I got an EC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results