shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the hole under the diamond for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
ive been wondering this for a while. what is the point of the hole in the setting right underneath the diamond head that some rings have? i could see how it could be for light to get through, but when its on your finger, your finger is covering up the light hole. so then i thougth maybe its for selling it, like maybe while you are showing it to customers the diamond looks better held up to the light set in a setting with a hole. then i was thinking, maybe they''re trying to make the setting weigh less.

whats it for???

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Cleaning it. If the setting is closed and gunk gets in there, it''s pretty darn hard to get it out.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 11:39:27 PM
Author: glitterata
Cleaning it. If the setting is closed and gunk gets in there, it''s pretty darn hard to get it out.
Absolutely so.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i dont know that i have seen it in under a big diamond head but it is common under melee in an eternity ring or similar...my rings have them. it''s for cleaning! i know when i can see light through the hole and it''s clean, i know my ring is clean too!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
haha. after posting this i actually went to sleep and dreamed about the hole and determined in my dream that it must be for cleaning, i woke up thinking "AHA!" haha. then iread everyone''s posts and my brain got it right...

now if only my brain were smart enough to pass my exam tomorrow... :)

gem girl

Rough_Rock
It also allows one to measure the depth of the stone which is useful when estimating carat weight in a mounted stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results