shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the HCA of mall rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you guess the HCA would be of the typical diamond sold in mall jewelry stores?

I realize they don't come with Sarin reports, but what if you just randomly bought 100 mall stones and measured depth, table, crown and pav angles?

What do you guess the average HCA score would be?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea... and the only estimate I know of comes from another ocntinent :0

Garry''s notes on www.preciousmetals.com.au mention that about 1/4 of rounds would pass his test nowdays.
28.gif

NewDiamondMan

Rough_Rock
Hi there -

I purchased a diamond from a mall-type store, and assuming I ran the #''s correct on the HCA, is scored a 1.6-1.7.
Just fyi:

Table 55%
Crown > 35
Pav. > 40.8
Crown height 16%
Pav. depth 42.5%
total depth 62.3%
no cutlet
medium-sl. thick girdle

From reading the threads, the angles are more accurate than the %''s for the crown and the pav.

The stone is a little deep, but seems to still score ok on the HCA. In person, I think the stone looks pretty good. Im guessing it is not as high quality as a Hearts and Arrows, AGS000 stone, but based on the information I had prior to purchasing (i.e. before knowing about pricescope), I think I faired ok.

Bottom line is just make sure you go informed. Hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results