shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the grade of this 16ct Colombia Emerald?

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear colored gem experts

During my research of oval diamond, I accidentally encountered this beautiful 16.72 Colombia Emerald. Friend of mine inherited but now he is thinking to sell among friends.

It’s GIA certificate with F1 and natural beryl.

All picture and video took by iPhone so must difficult to assess but it would be great if you can share your opinion about approximate grade, from A to AAA.

I loved this emerald but really don’t have any idea about appropriate price so difficult to make an offer to our friend... any suggestion are welcomed!!!

As I received so many tips on PS to meet my ideal oval diamond so I thought this is good place to ask some advice.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSzP3N9pZge/?utm_medium=copy_link

F0F37D93-8316-4EF3-A752-EDF2C4D7716F.jpeg B2F16483-3D8B-4D0D-8770-E2048157E9FB.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grades of A, AAA, etc, arent actually meaningful, as there isnt a standard among vendors. Thats why having a reputable lab report is so important. I have zero idea about pricing, but you can look for comps on reputable emerald vendors websites

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don't think anyone should touch an emerald of that size without a new lab report and appraisal

Aside from GAI, which lab report you would recommend for emerald?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don’t judge coloured stones using a grade. You look at colour, cut, size and treatments or lack of them and occasionally locality. Without close up photos and knowing more it’s impossible to value. You really need a lab report as mentioned above.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sure, hope this report and other photos are useful for evaluation.
You don’t judge coloured stones using a grade. You look at colour, cut, size and treatments or lack of them and occasionally locality. Without close up photos and knowing more it’s impossible to value. You really need a lab report as mentioned above.

Attachments

• 6DB02DC7-7F63-4A2D-92F1-A0DF787AD965.jpeg
    6DB02DC7-7F63-4A2D-92F1-A0DF787AD965.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 5EB35677-4808-4E5B-B4B5-C0F4D9EB209F.jpeg
    5EB35677-4808-4E5B-B4B5-C0F4D9EB209F.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 61

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Here is GIA but I assume that they don’t give grade on colored gem. Are there any different report from them???

DFC2E60E-6DFC-4855-8385-9766D9E3FED3.jpeg

That is a legitimate report from the GIA. I don't know how old it is. For a stone that large and expensive I wouldn't be surprised if a buyer asked for a new report to be sure the report matches the stone.

I'm not saying I doubt the stone in any way, simply that it's a fabulously expensive emerald and it's really hard for anyone other than a professional appraiser to give a value estimate.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is information on what F1 might entail.

We can’t give you pricing, but this appears to be a lovely stone.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
This report was made in 2016. I also have professional appraisal with value on other report but it’s hard to believe... too expensive!!!

My friend also don’t have capability to evaluate so actually he doesn’t believe that appraisal neither.

To be honest, he is happy with half price of my 3ct+ oval diamond!

From my eye, it’s beautiful incredible stone.
That is a legitimate report from the GIA. I don't know how old it is. For a stone that large and expensive I wouldn't be surprised if a buyer asked for a new report to be sure the report matches the stone.

I'm not saying I doubt the stone in any way, simply that it's a fabulously expensive emerald and it's really hard for anyone other than a professional appraiser to give a value estimate.

Last edited:

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Unfortunately it’s already on setting therefore It’s pretty difficult to see the real quality by photo which shows underlying structures due to transparency of stone.

At once, I focused on my purchase of oval diamond but somehow I can’t forget this beauty:)

Here is information on what F1 might entail.

We can’t give you pricing, but this appears to be a lovely stone.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This report was made in 2016. I also have professional appraisal with value on other report but it’s hard to believe... too expensive!!!

My friend also don’t have capability to evaluate so actually he doesn’t believe that appraisal neither.

From my eye, it’s beautiful incredible stone.

That's definitely an incredible stone!

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Happy to hear that! As he is happy with half price of 3ct oval diamond-G VVS1, I think it’s great deal.
However, there isn’t so clear 4cs like round diamond(actually I also counted
on professional on my research for oval because it’s also difficult stone to evaluate by myself), no idea that price make sense or not...

Thanks to you, @musicloveranthony I start to feel some confidence on this stone!

Comparing that super expensive appraisal, it’s definitely great value.
That's definitely an incredible stone!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to hear that! As he is happy with half price of 3ct oval diamond-G VVS1, I think it’s great deal.
However, there isn’t so clear 4cs like round diamond(actually I also counted
on professional on my research for oval because it’s also difficult stone to evaluate by myself), no idea that price make sense or not...

Thanks to you, @musicloveranthony I start to feel some confidence on this stone!

Comparing that super expensive appraisal, it’s definitely great value.

Appraisals are often extremely inflated, so I would not use that as a price point.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Appraisals are often extremely inflated, so I would not use that as a price point.

Absolutely, it’s not urgent so will think about it for a while.

By the way, thanks to you and other experts suggestion, I found my dream oval with Jon’s help. Now I am waiting production!!!
It’s long process but I know it’s worth it:) can’t wait to share with you soon.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful emerald.
As others have said with Emeralds the two important criteria are origin and treatment.
Origin matters because some people much prefer Columbian.
Treatment matters because while some treatment, minor oil, is acceptable, higher levels ie flux filling isn’t good.
Personally I would grab a loupe x20 and just check the surface of the emerald for any surface reaching fractures.
Emeralds are a naturally “included” gem ie lots of crystalline imperfections as it’s just how emeralds form. However surface reaching fractures can be disastrous if the emerald is accidentally knocked. It can cause the crystal to shear ie break apart.
In any regard, an emerald ring should be considered a “special occasion” ring rather than a ring to wear daily as you go about your daily activities.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Its a beautiful emerald.
As others have said with Emeralds the two important criteria are origin and treatment.
Treatment matters because while some treatment, minor oil, is acceptable, higher levels ie flux filling isn’t good.
Personally I would grab a loupe x20 and just check the surface of the emerald for any surface reaching fractures.
Emeralds are a naturally “included” gem ie lots of crystalline imperfections as it’s just how emeralds form. However surface reaching fractures can be disastrous if the emerald is accidentally knocked. It can cause the crystal to shear ie break apart.
In any regard, an emerald ring should be considered a “special occasion” ring rather than a ring to wear daily as you go about your daily activities.

I know some vendors that make emerald engagement rings. Some with surface reaching fractures. I always cringe a bit when I see that. I've even been seeing vendors selling zircon as engagement rings. Zircon is one of my favorite stones, but I know for darn sure it isn't an every-day stone

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Its a beautiful emerald.
Thank you! Your technical suggestions are highly helpful. Yes, those imperfections makes me difficult to estimate appropriate price because there are so many price difference among selling emerald in the market. It’s hard for someone like me to find good benchmark from those divergence in price and quality.

Sure, I will definitely buy loupe 20x to check the surface to mitigate future risk.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look if he wants to sell you'll have to find a market place to sell through, no one will touch something that expensive from a private seller also he'll never find the right buyer. I'd start by reaching out to some of the big auction houses, see what paperwork they think will help the sale. If they're interested they may appraise for you, based on how much they think they can get at auction which should be a very viable figure to go on.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
I know some vendors that make emerald engagement rings. Some with surface reaching fractures. I always cringe a bit when I see that. I've even been seeing vendors selling zircon as engagement rings. Zircon is one of my favorite stones, but I know for darn sure it isn't an every-day stone
Agree. I will wear only for special occasions if I decide to take it.
I also heard that there might be risk to bring airplane... if emerald is so fragile then maybe it’s not for me who travel a lot a per under normal circumstances.

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Look if he wants to sell you'll have to find a market place to sell through, no one will touch something that expensive from a private seller also he'll never find the right buyer. I'd start by reaching out to some of the big auction houses, see what paperwork they think will help the sale. If they're interested they may appraise for you, based on how much they think they can get at auction which should be a very viable figure to go on.
Very smart!
My husband also told me so. Our friend won’t easily find buyer anyway so we can take our time to think about it.
It’s not AAAA quality(because there is minor enhancement) but good quality and large carat. So targeted buyer pool won’t be that large. If someone is wealthy enough and having many occasions to wear it, then they will go boutique to find AAAA, I guess. On the other hand, it’s also ¥¥¥ so not so many people can decide quickly.

Around 2016 when he took GIA, actually he went auction. I saw catalog with price range. Maybe it’s domestic auction in the country where emerald is not that popular, he couldn’t find customer at that time.

What he suggest to us is good value but all of those make us hesitate to say YES...

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
@qubitasaurus
Oh, forgot to tell. He is attached that stone so if friend takes then he is more than happy to be generous to offer almost half price of starting price of that auction in 2016.

It’s almost three months after we discussed and we took diamond instead of emerald. But can’t forget about this unique emerald and came to this forum to gather advice.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very smart!
My husband also told me so. Our friend won’t easily find buyer anyway so we can take our time to think about it.
It’s not AAAA quality(because there is minor enhancement) but good quality and large carat. So targeted buyer pool won’t be that large. If someone is wealthy enough and having many occasions to wear it, then they will go boutique to find AAAA, I guess. On the other hand, it’s also ¥¥¥ so not so many people can decide quickly.

Around 2016 when he took GIA, actually he went auction. I saw catalog with price range. Maybe it’s domestic auction in the country where emerald is not that popular, he couldn’t find customer at that time.

What he suggest to us is good value but all of those make us hesitate to say YES...

Usually you can't lose by reaching out and asking. Hong Kong sells a lot of jewelery. If you've got a lenient time frame anyway then based on the currency you quoted I'd reach out to the Hong Kong auction houses and just see what they have to say. Its not that inconceivable that you could sell it through Hong Kong. It may let you know what lab and type of report you should be acquiring -- no point not getting the exact type of paper work which will help sell it to your target audiance.

If he has tried to sell it before and it didn't go, then he has a reserve price in mind which he thinks it should cost. It might be interesting to know what that is.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus
Oh, forgot to tell. He is attached that stone so if friend takes then he is more than happy to be generous to offer almost half price of starting price of that auction in 2016.

It’s almost three months after we discussed and we took diamond instead of emerald. But can’t forget about this unique emerald and came to this forum to gather advice.

Are you interested then from the perspective of whether this is a good purchase for you to make? And whether half the starting price is a reasonable sum?

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
Are you interested then from the perspective of whether this is a good purchase for you to make? And whether half the starting price is a reasonable sum?

Great question.
To be honest not sure... if someone take that price then I will regret. But it’s not something I really need right now and not sure about resale value, so we need to be convinced enough to proceed.

Maybe I can ask him to become intermediate to coordinate auction in HK as you suggested. Then if I cant get rid of it from my mind, I can offer price. (Must be lower than starting price anyway because there isn’t any margin our friend need to pay)

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Agree. I will wear only for special occasions if I decide to take it.
I also heard that there might be risk to bring airplane... if emerald is so fragile then maybe it’s not for me who travel a lot a per under normal circumstances.

I think it’s safe to wear. Just be careful like you would with anything that expensive!! It’s seriously very beautiful

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great question.
To be honest not sure... if someone take that price then I will regret. But it’s not something I really need right now and not sure about resale value, so we need to be convinced enough to proceed.

Maybe I can ask him to become intermediate to coordinate auction in HK as you suggested. Then if I cant get rid of it from my mind, I can offer price. (Must be lower than starting price anyway because there isn’t any margin our friend need to pay)

If you're interested from the perspective of getting him clear information on how to proceed (such as what paper work will help the sale, or the prices of previous transactions for similar items). Then I would probably have looked at these Hong Kong auction transactions, and therefore would also at least have enquired with them. Data rarely hurts if you want to make a good choice.

If you don't know whether you want to buy it yourself or not, then my guess is you probably don't want it. Usually if you want something you'll know it. From the (very small amount of information I can glean from this thread) Id have guessed you most likely want that daimond instead. On the other hand if your already reaching for past Hong Kong auction transaction data, and the commisions usually collected to know what's a fair price to offer then I take this back...

Micina

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you're interested from the perspective of getting him clear information on how to proceed (such as what paper work will help the sale, or the prices of previous transactions for similar items). Then I would probably have looked at these Hong Kong auction transactions, and therefore would also at least have enquired with them. Data rarely hurts if you want to make a good choice.

If you don't know whether you want to buy it yourself or not, then my guess is you probably don't want it. Usually if you want something you'll know it. From the (very small amount of information I can glean from this thread) Id have guessed you most likely want that daimond instead. On the other hand if your already reaching for past Hong Kong auction transaction data, and the commisions usually collected to know what's a fair price to offer then I take this back...

This is fantastic advice! I checked luxury auction history of emerald. Looks like there are more transactions in HK as you mentioned .
Actually I downloaded apps because there are so many attractive offers.

I continued that it’s great offer so will keep considering it. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results