shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the first thing you do to reject potential round diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
Do you have a set of parameters (in regards to cut, nothing else) that a diamond must fall within or they are automatically out of the running? (and what are they?) IE, you go to a store, they show you stones with their certificates and you can tell them no within 15 seconds of looking at the diamond that it's no good.

For an E-ring, would sticking to these parameters (below) be too unreasonable in finding a good stone? Obviously if I narrow everything down too much, I'd never find a diamond.

Depth: 60-61
Table: 55-56
Crown Angle: 34.3-34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.4-40.8

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good start.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I have a mental set of parameters...aka I don''t want a pav angle at 41 or higher, I don''t want a too large table, I don''t want a too high depth...I can definitely look at a GIA report or a set of numbers and know if I even want to consider looking at it further...this is for an e-ring stone that is.

I guess my ideal specs are something like:

Depth: 60.4-61
Table: 55-56
Crown Angle: 34.4-34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.5-40.8

But I wouldn''t entirely TOSS a diamond out of bed if it had a 34.9 crown angle, but I would just prefer 34.8...etc. Same with depth, I''d prefer something under 61 but at 61.2 if everything else worked out I''d still consider it. But I keep in mind that the deeper the depth, the more weight that hides in there, and I am a size girl so I want more of the weight up top and visible as long as it doesn''t affect the cut in a negative way.

For a pendant or earrings I am maybe a bit more lax, aka I would consider 62% depth or a 41 pav angle if the IS images were hot etc but for e-ring aka something I will be staring at daily 24/7 then I want something that appeals to me on all the highest mental levels.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
55-57 table then run the angles thru the hca pass anything between 1 and 2 is my first step.
Mara's range is a good one but I like em out to about 41.2 maybe 41.4 pavilion angle with crown angles in the low 34 range and stay above 40.6.
With the right minor facets they make for very bright diamonds which I like.
The hca will weed out the bad ones
Depth id try to keep under 62 but if its a hair over and everything else checks out id consider it.

next is IS image, LS images and other info such as b-scope if available.

At the same time as above checking the cert and pictures to get an idea of the inclusions if it has a si clarity grade.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
You can probably get away with some fairly strict hard and fast parameters with rounds.

Sometimes I wish I had a gotten a round because it would have made the whole process easier...
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t need no cert. I don''t need no numbers. I don''t care if it is loose or mounted. I don''t care if it is round or another shape.

One look at it through an ideal scope allows me to instantly quantify if it has good light return or not. And it prevents problems were the cert, or numbers, you are shown does not match the diamond.

Click on the "tools" button on the upper right to find the link.

I also have the "professional" model which has a 10x loupe built in - so you can see most significant defects (if the pink does not hide them) right away.

The light table, and locking tweezers helps a lot as well (as does the regular 10x loupe).

OK, I admit it - I bought the whole kit... BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE.

Perry

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
perry that''s assuming you have the diamond in your possession or locally to look at. Otherwise, if it''s a virtual stone, how do you weed it out? Scope image first still?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara:

Good clarification. Big Toung did talk about going into a store and looking.

For "web" stones - HCA first; although I tend to primarily shop with vendors that know and are not going to fool with bad stones for me. My personal favorites: NiceIce, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones (have you seen Winks other gemstones - wow !), with an number of other''s at the second level.

Of course, I just use the pricscope "Cut Quality" search as the first cut when looking for a stone - so I don''t even have to play with the HCA initially.

Leonid makes it so easy - why waste time shopping through some companies virutal inventory - just use the search feature.

But in the end I will not buy (or will return it) based on ideal scope image.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results