shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the differece bettween canadian diamond and south africa diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccpotato

Rough_Rock
how come people always say this is south africa diamond is not mined in canada

are the difference between cutting or anything?
help~~

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2005 6:08:09 PM
Author:ccpotato

Country of origin.

Because diamonds mined in South Africa were not mined in Canada.

are the difference between cutting or anything?

Each diamond is cut by an individual craftsman or sometimes a group of craftsmen. Some are more skilled than others.
The nationality of the worker and the location of the mine has nothing to do with the cutting.

help~~
This is why I make the big bucks.
10.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil:

I belive you missed the obvious.... Just look at a globe. Canadian diamonds are the ones that fell through the earth from South Africa. Thus they are a bit rarer since most didn''t make the trip. That is why Canadian diamonds tend to cost more that South African diamonds of the same color and clarity.

Seriously, What difference? essentially diamond is diamond, and they are practically identicall when talking about the same crystal shapes, colors, and clarities.

Perry

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perry,

Silly boy. Diamonds can''t fall through the earth from South Africa to Canada. South Africa is downhill from Canada! You must be looking at one of those Australian globes.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2005 6:08:09 PM
Author:ccpotato

What people ???
23.gif

Really, there''s no way to tell them apart unless the topic of this discussion is some brand of diamonds that insists on a certificate of origin. CanadaMark is an example, but there may be other labels like that.

At least the Canadian brands that trace the rough to Canada sources do not claim that this origin makes their diamond more so and so, but rely on fair trade considerations and the simple fact that origin per se has some appeal even despite quality.

If there was a way to identify the origin of a random diamond (even rough, let alone polished), the whole Kimberly process would have never been put in place.

Seriously... where did you hear that ? To be honest, the same urban myth did came up on this forum before, so there must be some source out there
20.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The critical difference for people who care about origin is that Canadian diamonds are expected to involve less exploitation. The issue of "blood diamonds"--diamonds laundered for the benefit of counties as Sierra Leone and used to fund wars--and the use of unsafe and unfair labor practices in Africa make Canadian diamonds a better choice for people for whom this makes a difference. They think it''s harder to ensure that a diamond of African origin can be tracked satisfactorily to guarantee ethical practices all along the way.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Canadianness (Canadiosity?) is not a gemological property of the stone but it definitely affects value. Some people like Canadian goods for the reason you mention while others simply like to support Canadian ventures because they think good things about Canada and Canadian workers. Perhaps they are Canadians, or recovering Canadians themselves. There are folks who insist on buying American cars for similar reasons. ‘Crafted with Pride in South Africa’ hasn’t been marketed as effectively and they aren’t able to command much of a premium. There are plenty of fine reasons to support the workers and companies in Africa and it's possible to do so without encouraging exploitation. I find it kind of offensive that the Canadians have used this ‘Blood diamonds’ issue as a marketing ploy and present it as a reason to avoid African products. It’s flatly unfair to some fine producers, it’s not in the consumers best interest and it contributes to the poverty of exactly the people that they’re claiming to help.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

dyemonds2002

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a AGS cert 000 Platinum ring off of ebay last week laser inscribed starts with bb for ben bridges its an SI-2 E 0.326 great numbers on the cert canadian mark cert also my question is would this be an ikuma ideal cut i notice the table is 53 Ebay # 5032765100 can someone look at this for me i did pay only 415.00 for it so i know i got a good deal just curious if this might be an ikuma or signature series

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
That diamond would be an Ikuma, not a Signature. The Ben Bridge Signature diamond has extra faceting (I believe 66 facets rather than 58). The diamond you purchased is an AGS triple 0 cut. The table is on the small side, but that might mean the stone tends towards being more firey than brilliant which, personally, I prefer. Maybe the experts can weigh in here. You might get more responses if you posted the specs for quick reference.

dyemonds2002

Shiny_Rock
Anyone else please chime in on this im just curious the specs are 61.4 depth 53 table 34.0 crown and 40.8 pavillion 1.3 on hca bb laser inscribed canadian symbol # 2819404 purchase nov 2001 would this be an ikuma stone then theres no where on cert that says it is i havent seen ring yet so i dont know

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
The cert wouldn''t say whether it is an Ikuma. Ikuma is simply the brand name Ben Bridge gave their line of Canadian ideal cut diamonds. I don''t know when Ben Bridge starting calling their ideal cuts Ikuma, but assuming all the paperwork is legit, this would qualify. It''s an ideal cut, it''s from Canada, and it''s from Ben Bridge -- therefore, it''s probably an Ikuma. You can always take it in to a BB store and see if they can verify that the paperwork is legit.

dyemonds2002

Shiny_Rock
Ive had an ikuma before SI-1 F color and small table again i got it home and just didnt have the fire and brillaiance i would expect in any lighting im just afraid this is gonna happen again i returned the stone to ben bridge this i cannot return so i might be looking for someone that wants to buy this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results