shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the deal with Greenland rubies?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I recently subscribed to the official Greenland Ruby newsletter and have browed through their (trade only) inventory of rubies.

First impressions: most stones are pinkish red and virtually all stones are moderately to heavily included. I would almost consider all of their facet stones inventory “cab grade”.

So what’s the deal? When rubies were found in Mozambique, lots of high quality, large, clean, and vivid red stones started to appear in the market. I haven’t seen a single fine ruby from Greenland. Is this whole operation a fiasco?

Happy to get your views, thoughts, challenges, etc.

have a great day!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm curious about these stones, but I'm very interested in how the new billionaire mining project will impact Greenland and the environment.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
They had a huge expensive marketing launch 2 years ago at the JCK Vegas trade show.
Totally unimpressive.

I guess the ice theme combined with the fact that these would supposedly be the oldest rubies on earth (that we know of) might be appealing to some. And there probably is a market for less expensive jewelry. But for anyone who looks for what rubies are loved for, vivid saturation and/or strong fluorescence, there isn’t much to be seen.

For anyone interested, here is the official inventory (trade only): https://showcase.greenlandruby.gl/

Plenty of pretty pinks but not much red :(

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I guess the ice theme combined with the fact that these would supposedly be the oldest rubies on earth (that we know of) might be appealing to some. And there probably is a market for less expensive jewelry. But for anyone who looks for what rubies are loved for, vivid saturation and/or strong fluorescence, there isn’t much to be seen.

For anyone interested, here is the official inventory (trade only): https://showcase.greenlandruby.gl/

Plenty of pretty pinks but not much red :(

And heated? Makes me wonder what the unheated ones look like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results